Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSOL

Ash vs. Evil Dead season 3

only took a year for it to finally show up on Netflix - watched one episode last night. if you like the show at all, you know what you're going to get
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

aububs

The Incubus is a very cool movie but the final 60 seconds are...confusing. it's like they made the movie really well but then the editor spilled his coffee all over the editing desk at the very end and they didn't bother fixing it

bitewerksMTB

I rather liked the ending of The Incubus especially the final shot, which, could be construed as being in bad taste.

A couple of nights ago, it was the Aussie film, Next of Kin. Not much of a plot which seems like it's going to be about a haunted house but ends up a mild slasher film. What it has going for it is really nice camera work & some effective imagery. Also, a good soundtrack by Klaus Schulze. Severin released it in the U.S. & it's the same as the Aussie release. I think there may be a UK release, as well. Recommended for a viewing or if you find it cheap.

Last night was George A. Romero's Creepshow.

aububs

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 04, 2019, 09:03:09 PM
I rather liked the ending of The Incubus especially the final shot, which, could be construed as being in bad taste.

i liked the ending too and the final shot is great. i just didn't understand what was happening. after making that post i googled it and the internet explained it to me.

bitewerksMTB

Arrow's new release of Audition looks great! I haven't seen it on bd before but it's a huge uptick in quality from the U.S. dvd release I have. This is my favorite film by Miike & it's interesting that when he made it, he had no intention of it ever being seen outside of Japan. He didn't think anyone other than Japanese viewers would understand it. I wonder if that's the case for a lot of the films from Nikkatsu & their reluctance at licensing titles to European and American labels?

FallOfNature

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 04, 2019, 09:03:09 PM
A couple of nights ago, it was the Aussie film, Next of Kin. Not much of a plot which seems like it's going to be about a haunted house but ends up a mild slasher film. What it has going for it is really nice camera work & some effective imagery. Also, a good soundtrack by Klaus Schulze. Severin released it in the U.S. & it's the same as the Aussie release. I think there may be a UK release, as well. Recommended for a viewing or if you find it cheap.

For some reason it's $35 down here, when that companies other titles rarely exceed $20. Little steep for a blind purchase on a mild slasher.

Got through a few over the past week whilst doing late shifts

Death Wish 3
Charles Bronson killing the bad guys in a derelict area of NYC. Highly stupid but thoroughly entertaining.

Lucker The Necrophagous
Had this Synapse DVD sitting on my shelf for years, pretty dull and slow for the most part. Lots of bitches wailing and running through hallways. One particularly unpleasant necrophilia scene that almost rivals anything from Nekromantik. Not a lot of reason to revisit this one though.

Terror Firmer
Beyond Toxic Avenger and Class Of Nuke 'em High - I don't the any value in anything Troma does anymore. No exception here.

Mark of the Astro-Zombies
So hilariously shit that it has to be seen to be believed. Almost Carl J. Sukenick levels of retardation here. Had no idea what the fuck was going on in this (much like the original movie). Tura Satana aged hideously aswell.

DSOL

Suspiria (2018) meh, 6/10 - but Dakota Johnson is fucking hot in the movie, I think its the red hair

ConcreteMascara

forgot to mention, watched Kei Fujiwara's Organ (1996) a few weeks ago. Director Fujiwara is the main actress in the first Tetsuo film and also plays one of the main characters here. The plots a little confusing at first but after 30-45 minutes it settles down and gets easier to follow. Tons of graphic body horror and gore mixed with mid '90s electronica music (that I really dig) and a slow, dreamy pace. I really enjoyed this one, but I can understand how a lot of people might think its too confusing or too slow. It starts negative and stays negative and seems to almost take place in some awful alternate world. Would work well as a double feature with Rubber's Lover. There's a short sequence where a woman leaves a butterfly cocoon and literally spills her guts and its so good I'd bump my ranking up for that alone.

and last night was Akira for the first time in about 15 years or more. I watched Akira as a kid because it was a seminal, if not the seminal anime and I was disappointed then. coming back to it now, it still don't love it the way I do some other '80s and '90s anime, but I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more. it's easy to appreciate the amazing animation, generally awesome style and all the obvious influence it's had since its release. I've had the manga sitting on my shelf for ages, maybe it's time to give it a shot!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

EXU

Nightmare City/Incubo sulla città contaminata - I said some bad things recently about Lenzi so I thought why not give him one more try, and I am very glad I did. It's not that he is a bad director, he's not, it's just that everything he does is just wrong, like some kind of autistic vision of everything only weirder and with more boobs. Everything is deeply wrong here and at the same time hugely charming and entertaining, it's dumbness taken to such an absurd degree that it extrapolates it's own definition and reaches for the sublime. The lines, the acting, the situations, the plot, reactions and scenarios, set ups and jump scares or even killings, they are so alien yet so familiar, like a very wicked child is running it all, with gusto.
I think this movie may be endlessly rewatchable because it seems like the sublime stupidity has so many layers in each frame, you can just watch it paying attention only to the background... The philosophical talking FFS. The city that is perhaps world capital of machetes and axes. The military uniforms. All the military city complex. The main actor everything. Big and little things exploding stupidly before your eyes and you try to catch it all... Fun fun fun.
I kinda disliked the so called zombies at first (OG undead runners?) but their thuggish inconsistent portrayal had me at the end. Their make up is stupid and great because Lenzi doesn't seem to grasp anatomy and all that bs or he just don't care so we have a lot of rotten meatheads and bodies reacting to abuse in a way that is playful and headscratching. I would not call they intelligent because nothing in this movie can be called that with a straight face but they shoot guns, drive cars, act normally, steal blood from ambulances and a lot of other fun pranks that you don't see everyday, and then sometimes they just act like a normal zombie and that feels even weirder.
The thing just starts blasting off and never stops, not a dull moment, crazy bang for your buck (or their very humble buck). It's all so good that seems like you stumbled in a supreme masterpiece and then comes THAT FUCKING ending and yeah, you got why this is not regarded higher. But then maybe it all makes perfect sense if you SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER see it as some kind of cyclical absurd reality and these people just don't care anymore and everything is permitted, idk.
All that being said and done I highly recommend this one, you can call Lenzi anything but don't call him boring and that's the highest compliment in his field.
And to top it all he's like a mf boob academic or something: they will pop out frequently and the level of variety and quality is high.
Still, all his movies I saw are bad. 8/10

Hemwick

Watched animal house over the weekend and continued with the school movies with Ghoulies 3 the ghoulies go to college.  Class of 1999 fucking great cheesy time with a bootleg Corey Feldman and slaughter high last night.

DSOL

loved Slaughter High as a kid growing up - used to watch it all the time

ConcreteMascara

saw the original Pet Semetary last night for the first time. I'm sure most here have seen it but if not, spoilers. I didn't know what to expect as I don't really fuck with Stephen King aside from The Shining. I figured it was about killer animals which would have been fine but instead it turned into a killer undead kid film! highlights include the death of said child, every part with Herman Munster, and the undead dead child dying a second time. oh also the spinal meningitis sister. I want to see more films where adorable kids are absolutely wrecked by tractor-trailers!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 10, 2019, 06:31:21 PM
saw the original Pet Semetary last night for the first time. I'm sure most here have seen it but if not, spoilers. I didn't know what to expect as I don't really fuck with Stephen King aside from The Shining. I figured it was about killer animals which would have been fine but instead it turned into a killer undead kid film! highlights include the death of said child, every part with Herman Munster, and the undead dead child dying a second time. oh also the spinal meningitis sister. I want to see more films where adorable kids are absolutely wrecked by tractor-trailers!

his kill scene (Herman Munster) is still one of my all time favorite kill scenes

Hemwick

Quote from: DSOL on May 09, 2019, 09:29:43 PM
loved Slaughter High as a kid growing up - used to watch it all the time

It's so good and the soundtrack kicks ass.  I'm a sucker for cheesy slashers.  Can't stand the Friday 13th and others of that same.  Give me sleepaway camp any day

Hemwick

The scene in pet semetary when the poor bastard wakes up and Blam! Bashes his head in the night stand best scene ever