Special Interest
October 14, 2019, 12:33:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 188
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 668331 times)
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2505 on: February 06, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »

In the last week or so...been getting through a few to possibly sell off and clear some shelf space

Revenge of the Creature
Sequel to Creature From The Black Lagoon, which is my favourite Universal Monsters flick. Of course not as good as the first, but still great in my eyes.

Mountaintop Motel Massacre
80's slasher fare, but a slightly more original concept. Not bad, but far from great.

Collar

More Ryan Nicholson nastiness. Felt like an incomplete movie. Shame as the concept was ok and it seemed more serious than his others I've seen.

Video Violence 1 & 2
I love a good SOV as much as the next masochist but these fell flat on the arse in both instances. Far too slow, minimal gore, and not very imaginative. Sold the DVD immediately after.

Curtains
Shit slasher, only redeeming feature was the killer's mask. Can't understand the hype on this at all. Another immediately into the sale pile.

True Grit
Coen brothers, and it's a western that gets pretty violent in places. Not bad. Had a certain light-heartedness that I could've done without.

Creepshow
Always a winner.

Going to binge on some actual good stuff this weekend if the temps are too high.
deutscheasphalt
user

« Reply #2506 on: February 06, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »

but the best thing of the weekend was watching the first two episodes of season 3 of True Detective. really loved both episodes and I'm totally onboard for this season. I'm pretty hopeful they wont shit the bed.

Might be biased here but after watching the first few episode it seems like they were desperately trying to recreate the first season. A lot of similar ideas but not executed as well. It's very hard to follow up on a season with that much substance in characters and philosophy. That's why I enjoyed the second season for being entirely different. With that said I would advise anyone to watch the seasons in anti-chronological order.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2507 on: February 07, 2019, 11:55:26 PM »

The Collection, which, kind of looks like where City Hunter gets their slasher art ideas from, maybe? Has some decent scenes of gore. I wouldn't want to own it. Caught it on a cable channel. The climax turns into an action movie & there's a rather nasty arm-breaking scene.

Scorpion Releasing's new Blu release of Rituals is worth the upgrade from dvd. The color correction looks nice & as multiple prints rather than the OCN were used, you get speckling & damage lines, which, I like seeing every now & then.  Rituals is a damn good, obscure Canadian backwoods horror flick. Great location, some decent cheap gore. Makes a great double-feature with Just Before Dawn.

moozz
user

« Reply #2508 on: February 08, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »

Beyond The Black Rainbow
It looks and sounds great..... but it didn't grab me in any way. The first 70 minutes or so are a trippy fever dream with hazy visuals and not much dialogue. Very slow. In the last half an hour it gets more coherent and faster paced but it all leaves me unmoved. On paper it all seems like a movie I would like but no. Good to watch for the visuals in the first half but I don't find anything interesting enough to warrant a second viewing.
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2509 on: February 09, 2019, 03:08:14 AM »

10 to Midnight (1979).

A mean Charles Bronson in dark cop film. Well-crafted psycho killer feast recently re-issued to bluray by Shout Factory. Get it. Actor Gene Davis who played DaVinci in Cruising (1980) is on par with Patrick Bateman level charisma, mania and twisted sense of detail. Enjoyed this production immensly, one of Bronson's better. Nothing more to add.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:09:48 AM by online prowler » Logged
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2510 on: February 09, 2019, 05:23:53 AM »

10 to Midnight (1979).

I watched that last night & I'm pretty sure I saw it in the theater. It's from 1983, not 1979. I think it's more interesting than the Death Wish films (watched 3 & 4 not too long ago). I wonder if there's any footage cut out of 10 to Midnight? Never read anything about it so probably not but it seems ripe for it. J. Lee Thompson certainly could deliver the goods with mainstream exploitation. Check out his film starring C. Bronson, The White Buffalo. Fucking nuts!

Watching Bloodlust aka Mosquito the Rapist right now...

online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2511 on: February 09, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »

10 to Midnight (1979).

I watched that last night & I'm pretty sure I saw it in the theater. It's from 1983, not 1979. I think it's more interesting than the Death Wish films (watched 3 & 4 not too long ago). I wonder if there's any footage cut out of 10 to Midnight? Never read anything about it so probably not but it seems ripe for it. J. Lee Thompson certainly could deliver the goods with mainstream exploitation. Check out his film starring C. Bronson, The White Buffalo. Fucking nuts!

Watching Bloodlust aka Mosquito the Rapist right now...

Thanks for the film recommendation. Haven't seen The White Buffalo or Bloodlust for that matter before. Will check those out. Trailers looks promising. J. Lee Thompson directed a strain of action classics during his career - many with Bronson. 10 to Midnight was in my opinion executed suberbly, especially the park scene. Thanks for clarification of production year. I only got a copy online of it.

New Gaspar Noé on Arrow over the weekend. Need a copy of it asap!
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2512 on: February 09, 2019, 01:39:42 PM »

Oi!

The Burbs is pure classic!! Total support.
cr
Diehard user

« Reply #2513 on: February 09, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »

Oi!

Hah, yes. Normally not a big fan of Tom Hanks, but this one I like as well. (if that's the one you are talking about. Had to look for it on Google, because the title I know is totally different in translation)
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #2514 on: February 09, 2019, 10:42:54 PM »

Oi!

Hah, yes. Normally not a big fan of Tom Hanks, but this one I like as well. (if that's the one you are talking about. Had to look for it on Google, because the title I know is totally different in translation)

Aye! Joe Dante film w Hanks! Never get tired of that one. Of course actor Corey Feldman is a great plus as well.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2515 on: February 11, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »

been in a Japanese film mood for the last few weeks.

Last Monday was Rubber's Lover by Shozin Fukui (1996). First time viewing. I was expecting it to be a bit more balls to the wall, but maybe my balls have become unflappable? Visually it's very enjoyable. The extreme overacting gets a little tedious at times but explosions of violence and sexual violence contrasted against the slow moving bits work effectively. I really dug the primary abandoned factory/laboratory set too. the freight elevator was practically its own character. I think I'll dig this one more on subsequent viewing, now that I'm past my original expectations.

Friday was Evil Dead Trap by Toshiharu Ikeda (1988), another first time viewing. I can't tell anymore if I have no standards and/or my brain has regressed to its most primitive, reptilian state but I though this was a lot of fun. Not quite as gruesome as I expected but still has some cringe inducing violence. specifically when a girl grabs a the serrated side of a huge combat knife and the killer rips it out of her hand. story is a late night TV host gets sent a snuff tape, and of course she goes with her film crew to find the killer in an abandoned industrial/military complex. But the plot thickens and gets real goofy. if you like '80s horror, you could do a lot worse.

Saturday, I tried to watch Ichi the Killer (2001) with my girlfriend but she tapped out after the tongue cutting scene so we switched it to Audition (1999). She'd never seen either so it was fun to watch her squirm at the end of Audition. The last time I watched it I was so tired from work I fell asleep 10 minutes in. It was nice to sit and watch it from beginning to end. It still holds up as one of Miike's best.

Sunday I watched Ichi the Killer by myself. Each viewing I feel differently about the film. In highschool I just loved the extremity. In college I bemoaned its digital effects. Now I guess its easier to appreciate its unflinching hyperviolence, dare you to watch torture sequences and charismatic performances by Tadanobu Asano, Shinya Tsukamoto and pretty much everyone else.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2516 on: February 11, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »

Alien, 2003 director's cut 35mm print.

Amazing to see on the big screen. Beautiful print.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2517 on: February 16, 2019, 03:52:35 AM »

The Wailing and Beyond the Darkness

The S.Korean film with possession-occult themes is kinda nuts but is a bit too long but I'm not sure where it should be cut. The ending doesn't explain much but I didn't expect it to being Asian n' all. Definitely worth seeing; the part with ritual drums/chanting/screaming made me feel a little nervous for a short spell so that's good.

D'Amato's necro film was watched Valentine's night but I wasn't aware of the day so it worked out anyway.

Has anyone seen the Japanese film, Vengeance is Mine? Criterion released. I thought I had seen it but the trailer doesn't look familiar at all. It's based on a true story
about a serial killer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 03:57:04 AM by bitewerksMTB » Logged

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2518 on: February 16, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »

Has anyone seen the Japanese film, Vengeance is Mine? Criterion released. I thought I had seen it but the trailer doesn't look familiar at all. It's based on a true story
about a serial killer.

I have the Criterion DVD. I love that film, easily my favorite from Shohei Imamura. It's a little slow at times but Ken Ogata who plays the main character is fucking fantastic. it's got some cruel and fucked up moments that are real good, but it's also just a good film on the whole.

A-Z

« Reply #2519 on: February 16, 2019, 10:30:25 AM »

Beyond the Darkness is probably the best film D'Amato ever made.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 188
  Print  

Jump to: