Special Interest
March 21, 2019, 03:29:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 562325 times)
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2460 on: January 10, 2019, 03:02:43 AM »

I thought Mandy was okay. I don't remember too much of it at this point & I can't remember why I didn't check out B.T.B.R.. I'm thinking that I thought it was sci-fi or something? Though I could be confusing it with something else that was around at the same time.

Watched the old dvd of Ichi the Killer a few nights ago. Still pretty damn entertaining but it should could use some editing! I'd like to see the Blu-ray if I ever come across it for a cheap price. Also, Cannibal Ferox aka Make Them Die Slowly and currently have HG Lewis' The Gruesome Twosome playing; it's kind of a bore.

Oh, and Phantasm a few nights ago.

Lovelace is on HDMovies Friday night. I'll be checking that out (Wonderland is on right now, which, I've seen a handful of times over the years).

Has anyone seen the British film, Duffer? Stephen Thrower mentions it during a podcast interview. Definitely sounds like it's worth looking into. Thrower says he saw the film in Sleazy's collection; Sleazy owned a 16mm print he rescued from the garbage then projected onto a wall & videotaped it. Thrower, years later, encouraged BFI to release it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:14:17 AM by bitewerksMTB » Logged
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2461 on: January 10, 2019, 04:36:08 AM »

Don't Answer the Phone!
Hard to turn down a crazed Vietnam vet flick. Started off pretty sleazy and the right vibe but I was bored by the end. Vinegar Syndrome release was nice though and full of extras.

Tourist Trap
Clicked with me the second time around. Those masks...more effective on the imagination than 95% of other stuff in horror movies. Pretty good and definitely glad I gave it a second chance.

A Fistful of Dollars / For A Few Dollars More
Classic Eastwood. Watched these on xmas day rather than deal with other people's families.

Mosquito
Had this Synapse DVD for so long and barely looked at it. Hard to talk shit on a film like this when I pretty much knew what I was in for. Creature horror from '94, giant rubber mosquitos sucking people's brains out. Gunnar Hansen's in it.

Mandy
Over the top and ridiculous but loved it. I haven't yet seen BTBR to compare.

Revenge
Modern day "I Spit On Your Grave" kinda thing. Many genre fans claimed it was one of the best of the year but I can't agree. Watchable once though.

A-Z

« Reply #2462 on: January 10, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »

Revenge
Modern day "I Spit On Your Grave" kinda thing. Many genre fans claimed it was one of the best of the year but I can't agree. Watchable once though.

Absolutely loved this one. Awesome visuals, tight script, competent acting and just the right amount of WTF. Maybe not THE best of the year, but definitely one of the best!
aububs
user

« Reply #2463 on: January 10, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »

i would probably watch a looney tunes film shot by michael bay tbh but yeah revenge sucked
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2464 on: January 11, 2019, 06:37:59 AM »

Revenge

Awesome visuals

If you're talking about the actress, then I certainly agree.
brutalist_tapes
moderate user

« Reply #2465 on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »

a big fan of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, one of my all time favs, but i was wondering.. are there other stone cold classics like that one in the genre? what about cannibal ferox, worth watching? generally a fan of the "heart of darkness"-theme, so it doesn't have to be cannibal exploitation per se.. any tips?

Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2466 on: January 11, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »

a big fan of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, one of my all time favs, but i was wondering.. are there other stone cold classics like that one in the genre? what about cannibal ferox, worth watching? generally a fan of the "heart of darkness"-theme, so it doesn't have to be cannibal exploitation per se.. any tips?

I would recommend the straightforward Nicholas Roeg Heart of Darkness adaptation from 1993, starring Tim Roth and John Malkovich, if you haven't already seen it. Pretty much exactly as I imagined the book when reading it, and Malkovich as Kurtz is great. Nothing super brutal of course but atmospheric as it gets and one of the better book-to-film treatments I've seen, really. "Mistah Kurtz, he dead."

EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2467 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:29 PM »

Well, I guess you have already watched "Apocalypse Now".
For my money, "Vinyan" is VERY underrated and fits right your bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaLclD6Sgg4
brutalist_tapes
moderate user

« Reply #2468 on: January 12, 2019, 06:15:08 AM »

Well, I guess you have already watched "Apocalypse Now".
For my money, "Vinyan" is VERY underrated and fits right your bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaLclD6Sgg4
thanks!

A-Z

« Reply #2469 on: January 12, 2019, 06:59:08 AM »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081112/
have you seen this one?
aububs
user

« Reply #2470 on: January 12, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »

i love ferox. probably more than holocaust, on balance

i'd recc Embrace of the Serpent
brutalist_tapes
moderate user

« Reply #2471 on: January 12, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »

thanks for all your replies, havin' holidays from university now so will be sure to check em out!"

brutalist_tapes
moderate user

« Reply #2472 on: January 12, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »

I would recommend the straightforward Nicholas Roeg Heart of Darkness adaptation from 1993, starring Tim Roth and John Malkovich, if you haven't already seen it. Pretty much exactly as I imagined the book when reading it, and Malkovich as Kurtz is great. Nothing super brutal of course but atmospheric as it gets and one of the better book-to-film treatments I've seen, really. "Mistah Kurtz, he dead."
will definitely watch this. thanks!

EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2473 on: January 12, 2019, 05:26:25 PM »

Mandy
Everybody's talking about it here so I gave it a try. It has that "backwards writing" feel, like they used to say to Argento, that he designed the murder scenes and then wrote a script around it, but in this case seems like the fever/wet dreams of a 80's teenager (or the "not lived nostalgia" of the younger) put in a blender with more artistic mannerisms, and the fact that it can stand as something watchable still is remarkable. Even more, it's enjoyable. It embraces nonsense from the get go and I really like that, the psychdelic images and more art cinema pace of the beggining annoyed me at the start but as the cult was introduced it got quite an interesting mood, that was kind of shattered at the end when it goes full octane but I didn't dislike the change so much to be a problem.
Surprinsingly it's all played quite straight faced for the most time, aside Cage horrible jokes (that I think are intentionally bad)... As much straight faced as an acid drenched cameraman can be at least. I haven't seen BtBR yet but I am intrigued now, because Mandy almost feel like a a marriage between (for lack of better terms) high art (experimental cinema) and low art (exploitation, cheap horror movies) where the approach to it's material is inversed - ridicule treated as sublime and seriousness as a b movie prop. It makes you constantly think about other movies (Evil Dead, italians horror...) and rock/metal/rpg imagerie (album/book covers, etc) and I feel that it doesn't just recycle things but take then to some refreshing conclusion, the kind of movie a 80's teenager would make with the repertoire at hand while taking art classes. It's no masterpiece and most of it's qualities are awful ones in another context but I enjoyed a lot. Don't know how it will age but for now it's good.

And I really liked that sequence where Nic rides a quadricycle thru tunnels and then get stucked on the mud. The way it makes no sense at all, and then the epically camera zooms back a little slowly showing a nice and gratuitious passage just made me crack and sums up the directors M.O.

You Were Never Really There
From the same director of the great We Need to Talk About Kevin (and other two movies I have to seek now) this one is almost as good (or perhaps just as good but more subtle). Downbeat and crude but also with a lot of sensibility and heart.
I started watching The House That Jack Built after this one and just had to turn off after 20 minutes of pretentious bs that was made even bigger by the huge contrast between the two movies. YWNRT never explains too much and relies on the viewer intelligence remarkably while THtJB treats you like a moron and at the same time tricks you into felling smart because you "get" what the "genius director" is doing... I'll tackle THtJB later and probably the same way I endured Antichrist: shit faced drunk and as a comedy (tho the comedy aspect does feel more clear in the 20 minutes I watched).
Plus, I do like Matt Dillon occasionally but after watching Joaquin Phoenix acting on YWNRR... He sounded too forced, tacky, annoying and shallow.

Split
Not my favorite from Shyamalan (a director I like a lot) but it is very good. Second part is not as strong as the first perhaps, even with the Unbreakable linking being very interesting. Rock solid to perfect performances and the director builds tension like a motherfucker when he wants to. Like Lynne Ramsay from YWNRT he can tackle heavy subjects with a lot of sensibility and intelligence, and you never feel like he judges or hates his characters, or use them as sock puppets for his own ego (*coff*cofflarsvontrier*coff*coff), even tho Split is a little more heavy handed than Ramsay and even prior movies from Shyamalan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:28:24 PM by EXU » Logged
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2474 on: January 13, 2019, 04:41:50 PM »

Annihilation [2018] - I wanted to see this when it came to theaters but I missed it. finally caught it on Hulu last night. I hoped it would be good but it was fucking awesome. visually its fucking gorgeous and super detailed. the acting is solid, the writing is a little hit or miss but mostly good. the score jumps between twisted IDMish electronics, drones, vocal fuckery and acoustic guitars. it's fucking great. Reminds me of the score for Blade Runner 2049 mixed with Mick Gordon's score for the video game Prey. I liked the ending too. Honestly I didn't have a complaint by the end and I just wanted to re-watch it immediately to see what I missed.

also there's a part that very much reminds me of something from Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun universe and it was totally fucked up.

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170
  Print  

Jump to: