Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSOL

The Predator- I don't even know what to say. I had pretty low expectations to begin with, but holy shit. just terrible
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

A-Z

Angst (1983) - dude sets out on a killing spree, fucks up in every imaginable way
best way I can describe it is different
not particularly violent or dark or twisted, just very different from what one would typically expect of a serial killer movie
and this is what makes it worth watching

EXU

Catching up with some top 2018 lists...
A Quiet Place and Upgrade were both highly enjoyable but I don't feel like they need revisits in the future... I fear they just won't hold up so well because the more I think about them the more some things start to bug me and the plot holes appear, while similar movies like Signs and Robocop actually age very well and become better the more you think about. I want to clarify that plot holes are usually not a dealbreaker for me or that much of a problem, some of my favorite movies are pretty sketchy in that matter but not worse because of it.

A-Z

Veneno para las hadas (1985)
for some reason I keep stumbling upon films about confused girls who do terrible things
this time it's a Mexican one, one girl bullshits another about witchcraft, the latter buys into everything
things end up... you guessed it, pretty fucking bad
not as complex and multi-layered as Celia, but pretty good nevertheless

ConcreteMascara

Demon City Shinjuku (1988) - dir. Yoshiaki Kawajiri - watched this one a few years ago. I really enjoy just about everything Kawajiri does, especially the absolutely essential Wicked City, and this is no different. that being said, it's definitely less sexually graphic and violent than some of his other work. don't expect deep characters or writing, this is just fast paced action anime with a horror edge. Still, at only 80 minutes, it's not a bad way to spend your time if you're into '80s and '90s anime.

Bird Box (2018) - at first it didn't seem like the worst thing ever, but as it goes along it just falls completely apart. the sole redeeming quality of the movie is the injuries incurred since by dumbasses trying to re-enact it.

Mandy (2018) - dir. Panos Cosmatos - couldn't help but feel a little disappointed after all the hype. i liked it the least among my friends but some of them really loved it so I enjoyment of this one might be especially subjective? regardless, I'd watch Beyond the Black Rainbow over this any day.

Godzilla (2014) - dir. Gareth Edwards - I had zero expectations for this one and was very pleasantly surprised. is the human drama element weak? absolutely. is the plan to get rid of the kaiju absurd? definitely. does Elizabeth Olsen look like a fish woman? affirmative. but none of that matters because Godzilla looks fucking awesome, barfs fucking lazers in a giant beetles mouth, and generally proves he is in fact king of fucking monsters.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Peterson

Ripley's Game, dir. Liliana Cavani (2002)
          A novel adaptation that actually lives up to the standards of the Patricia Highsmith classic. John Malkovich as a snooty, pretentious sociopath is perfect and especially during the really funny triple-murder scene on the train. Fans of the author should check this out as well as just any action movie buffs. Also features the great Ray Winstone.

Duncan

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on January 08, 2019, 05:29:47 PM
Mandy (2018) - dir. Panos Cosmatos - couldn't help but feel a little disappointed after all the hype. i liked it the least among my friends but some of them really loved it so I enjoyment of this one might be especially subjective? regardless, I'd watch Beyond the Black Rainbow over this any day.

I watched this recently knowing nothing about it besides Nic Cage and that my friends said it was really good.  Going in totally cold I was totally surprised/impressed/laugh out loud bewildered by how the thing pans out, beginning seemingly as an introverted, dreamy relationship movie and ending up in Army of Darkness levels ridiculous murder and bad guys territories.  As ever, Nic Cage looks like he can act but chooses not to and it's aesthetically quite a beautiful movie packed full of visual references to loads of other movies (I think).  Still totally head scratching and ridiculous.

Hakaristi

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on January 08, 2019, 05:29:47 PMMandy (2018) - dir. Panos Cosmatos - couldn't help but feel a little disappointed after all the hype. i liked it the least among my friends but some of them really loved it so I enjoyment of this one might be especially subjective? regardless, I'd watch Beyond the Black Rainbow over this any day.

Felt the same way, BtBR blew my mind but this felt a little too OTT for the sake of it. When it comes to recent Cage overacting I prefer Mom and Dad.

Peterson

Was kind of surprised to see so many folks mention Beyond the Black Rainbow here - I tried to watch it twice not too long ago and kept falling asleep! I mean, awesome soundtrack, but just had a hard time paying attention. Will check it out again and really commit this time, haha.

brutalist_tapes

loved the first matrix movie and still do, but i tried to watch the second movie in the series yesterday.. horrible, i had to turn it off in 15 min. so what i wanted to know is if you guys now if the third movie is just as bad? sequels are not always bad, although just very often..

XXX

finally watched Stalker and im kicking myself for not seeing it at the theatre in town a few years back. this is exactly the kind of flicks i enjoy; bizzare, minimal & paranoid.

Quote from: brutalist_tapes on January 09, 2019, 09:04:55 PM
loved the first matrix movie and still do, but i tried to watch the second movie in the series yesterday.. horrible, i had to turn it off in 15 min. so what i wanted to know is if you guys now if the third movie is just as bad? sequels are not always bad, although just very often..

stick w the first one and animatrix.

Quote from: Force Neurotic on January 09, 2019, 08:08:59 PM
Was kind of surprised to see so many folks mention Beyond the Black Rainbow here - I tried to watch it twice not too long ago and kept falling asleep! I mean, awesome soundtrack, but just had a hard time paying attention. Will check it out again and really commit this time, haha.

it's an audio/visual feast but damn is it slim on plot.

bitewerksMTB

I thought Mandy was okay. I don't remember too much of it at this point & I can't remember why I didn't check out B.T.B.R.. I'm thinking that I thought it was sci-fi or something? Though I could be confusing it with something else that was around at the same time.

Watched the old dvd of Ichi the Killer a few nights ago. Still pretty damn entertaining but it should could use some editing! I'd like to see the Blu-ray if I ever come across it for a cheap price. Also, Cannibal Ferox aka Make Them Die Slowly and currently have HG Lewis' The Gruesome Twosome playing; it's kind of a bore.

Oh, and Phantasm a few nights ago.

Lovelace is on HDMovies Friday night. I'll be checking that out (Wonderland is on right now, which, I've seen a handful of times over the years).

Has anyone seen the British film, Duffer? Stephen Thrower mentions it during a podcast interview. Definitely sounds like it's worth looking into. Thrower says he saw the film in Sleazy's collection; Sleazy owned a 16mm print he rescued from the garbage then projected onto a wall & videotaped it. Thrower, years later, encouraged BFI to release it.

FallOfNature

Don't Answer the Phone!
Hard to turn down a crazed Vietnam vet flick. Started off pretty sleazy and the right vibe but I was bored by the end. Vinegar Syndrome release was nice though and full of extras.

Tourist Trap
Clicked with me the second time around. Those masks...more effective on the imagination than 95% of other stuff in horror movies. Pretty good and definitely glad I gave it a second chance.

A Fistful of Dollars / For A Few Dollars More
Classic Eastwood. Watched these on xmas day rather than deal with other people's families.

Mosquito
Had this Synapse DVD for so long and barely looked at it. Hard to talk shit on a film like this when I pretty much knew what I was in for. Creature horror from '94, giant rubber mosquitos sucking people's brains out. Gunnar Hansen's in it.

Mandy
Over the top and ridiculous but loved it. I haven't yet seen BTBR to compare.

Revenge
Modern day "I Spit On Your Grave" kinda thing. Many genre fans claimed it was one of the best of the year but I can't agree. Watchable once though.

A-Z

Quote from: FallOfNature on January 10, 2019, 04:36:08 AM
Revenge
Modern day "I Spit On Your Grave" kinda thing. Many genre fans claimed it was one of the best of the year but I can't agree. Watchable once though.

Absolutely loved this one. Awesome visuals, tight script, competent acting and just the right amount of WTF. Maybe not THE best of the year, but definitely one of the best!

aububs

i would probably watch a looney tunes film shot by michael bay tbh but yeah revenge sucked