Special Interest
August 21, 2019, 09:26:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 186
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 642307 times)
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2415 on: November 17, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »

Giallo in Venice- man, this is one trashy film! There's only four violent scenes; one is pretty damn shocking, and there's a lot of rather dull sex n' nudity. It's not a good film but it's nice to have on Blu-ray from Scorpion Releasing.

Last weekend, I watched Dawn of the Dead plus 48 Hrs. which I had not seen since vhs rental days.

Severin is releasing All the Colors of the Dark and Vinegar Syndrome has a couple of secret titles going up on Black Friday. Definitely looking forward to Edwige F. in high definition!
Coma Detox
moderate user

« Reply #2416 on: November 18, 2018, 06:26:02 AM »

Blood Lust aka Mosquito The Rapist.  Mondo Macabro did a killer job of the transfer on the Blu-Ray.  Looks so much better then the non-anamorphic Greek DVD I had.  Loosely based on the Vampire of Nuremberg.  A deaf mute obsessed with toy dolls who defiles corpses and sucks their blood with a pronged straw.

The Dorm That Dripped Blood - Decent early 80’s Slasher with some nice kill scenes, especially the head drilling.  I really liked the ending.  Good to see a decent transfer after all the cut to pieces DVD’s floating around.

Never realized one of the characters in Giallo In Venice starred in Patrick Still Lives until re-watching it.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2417 on: November 18, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »

Maria Angela Giordano is also in Burial Ground. I'd love to have a Blu release of Patrick Still Lives. I suspect it'll happen eventually. I don't remember it being all that great but it was definitely entertaining and trashy.

Last night was a movie called The Eyes of a Stranger I caught on Turner Classic Movies. It's a bit of a thriller with slasher elements. Wikipedia claims the movie had some graphic violence cut. It plays like it was made-for-tv with some tacked on violence (throat slashings & a decapitation) plus some nudity. The plot concerns a reporter that suspects a neighbor is a rapist-murderer. This film is the debut of Jennifer Jason Leigh. Her teenage character was snatched as a child & presumably raped which left her blind and mute. The director was kind enough to give viewers a finale that includes her nubile breasts being exposed by the pudgy serial killer. Leigh's sister-reporter is an actress from "The Love Boat". No nudity from her, unfortunately.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2418 on: November 19, 2018, 06:39:28 AM »

Rewatched Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (Turner Preview version). Essential western and essential Peckinpah. He was one of the best.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2419 on: November 19, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »

Finished the Romper Stomper series. Absolute dogshit. Picking up on Deadwood S3 this week to quickly forget about the time I invested in that Romper Stomper clusterfuck.

Checked out the Arrow release of Deadbeat at Dawn. Everything about this looks great and a solid upgrade from the DVD. I'm sure most here already know the film, and if you like it - than this release is a must-own.

Ordered blu rays of Savage Streets (Code Red), Vigilante (Blue Underground) and The Proposition.
david lloyd jones
Diehard user

« Reply #2420 on: November 28, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »

Just out on arrow.
Teruo ishii'so " Orgies of edo".
Secondarrow ishii to be issued and hopefully more to come for this master of transgressive Japanese film.
Lazrs3
user

« Reply #2421 on: December 02, 2018, 01:59:12 AM »

Really liked the film Mandy with Nicolas Cage in, must buy that.

I want to make time to watch White Reindeer again as it is now officially near 25th December. I managed to get the limited dvd of it years ago, it seems to have been reissued. I do love that film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Reindeer_(2013_film)

I'd like to see Dead Hands Dig Deep about Edwin Borsheim from Kettle Cadaver and Hexed. http://www.lonesomepictures.com/

Eastern Embargo

« Reply #2422 on: December 02, 2018, 04:21:12 AM »

After watching "The Sion Sono" documentary, I realized I didn't watch The Room yet. Quite the drastic change to Bicycle Sighs, but enjoyable if you have the patience for quiet b/w films.
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2423 on: December 05, 2018, 12:27:11 AM »

just watched Under The Silver Lake, the new movie from the guy who made It Follows

it's not a horror movie

and it's not very good

oh well
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2424 on: December 05, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »

watched Mandyagain last night since Shudder added it about a week ago. really enjoyed it in a more intimate setting

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2425 on: December 09, 2018, 08:35:37 PM »

The last seven days or so has been Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer; Drug War; Beware My Brethren; The Children and Creepshow.

FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2426 on: December 10, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

A classic.

Sat through The Proposition and Brimstone last night. The Proposition I didn't remember much of, having seen it when it first came out. Highly impressed. Brimstone was ok, lots of friends rated it but it dragged on an hour too long imo.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2427 on: December 10, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »

Last night was Exhumed Films "Natale Giallo! aka Yellow Christmas". I went with my girlfriend and had a great time. They screened 4 giallo (arguably only 2 proper giallo) back to back from their original 35mm prints, in Italian, with English subtitles projected underneath. I have to say it was a totally different experience watching these movies in a theater, on a big ass screen with proper sound system, where no one was bull-shiting through them or taking a smoke break every 30 minutes.

It kicked off with Argento's Opera. I've only watched this one two or three times before and it never really clicked for me on the whole. This time it felt like I was watching a different movie and I was left wondering how it isn't one of my favorite Argento films. My biggest complaint is the heavy metal stuff in the soundtrack, but even that I got used to by the end. But the creepy electronics by Brian Eno and Claudio Simonetti was really good. The kills were all excellent but the sequence i liked the most was the 20 or so minutes in the leads apartment where she plays cat and mouse with the killer. really fucking excellent! I liked it so much I had to pick up the new BluRay from Scorpion at Diabolik's table during intermission.

next was Lamberto Bava's Blade in the Dark. I've seen this one so many times but only ever in English for the ridiculously bad dubbing. while it's still a pretty absurd giallo with Italian dialogue, it actually makes a lot more sense plot wise as the subtitled dialogue is very different in parts than the subbed version. it's a fun movie, but it starts to really drag in some parts. gonna have to wait a while before I rewatch that one. great score though! shame its never been released to my knowledge.

then we had 7, Hyden Park aka Formula for a Murder by Alberto de Martino which was the only one I hadn't seen before. this movie was fucking ridiculous. the whole theater was laughing for at least half of it. watching a cripple get chased for an hour+ is pretty difficult to make suspenseful, and while they failed at that the did make it unintentionally hilarious. this is the perfect movie to watch with a few friends and more than a few beers.

and the finale was Argento's Inferno, which I had only watched once before, 7-8 years ago. Again I was forced to make a drastic reappraisal of this one. I remember comparing this unfavorably to Suspira when I first watched it but
this one definitely holds its own. The set pieces are pretty monumental and surreal qualities and active dream logic to the proceedings really create something unique, even compared to a lot of Argento's other films. feel like i could re-watch this one again soon. there just so much going on visually!

to top off the awesome night, my girlfriend and I each but one ticket for Exhumed Films fundraising raffle and she fucking won the raffle! Got like 20+ blurays and a bunch of autographed posters and soundtracks and all sorts of crazy shit. couldn't fucking believe it. so I'll hopefully be writing some mini reviews for a bunch of movies Ive never watched before in the near future.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2428 on: December 10, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »

It kicked off with Argento's Opera. I've only watched this one two or three times before and it never really clicked for me on the whole. This time it felt like I was watching a different movie and I was left wondering how it isn't one of my favorite Argento films. My biggest complaint is the heavy metal stuff in the soundtrack, but even that I got used to by the end. But the creepy electronics by Brian Eno and Claudio Simonetti was really good. The kills were all excellent but the sequence i liked the most was the 20 or so minutes in the leads apartment where she plays cat and mouse with the killer. really fucking excellent! I liked it so much I had to pick up the new BluRay from Scorpion at Diabolik's table during intermission.

Incredible! Would love to see this on the big screen. One of my favourites for sure.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2429 on: December 11, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »

That event sounds pretty cool. Inferno is probably my favourite Argento film.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 168 ... 186
  Print  

Jump to: