Special Interest
August 18, 2019, 09:18:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 186
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 640976 times)
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2385 on: October 29, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »

Halloween (2018) - meh, kind of underwhelming. some decent kills

The Fog - playing at a local theater in 4K. the classic looked great and it was pretty cool seeing it in the big screen

Friday The 13th 2-4- these were on AMC or something and were just playing in the background while I did other stuff, part 3 has always been my favorite one in the series, especially the last 10 minutes. 

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2386 on: October 30, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »

Ebola Syndrome - Jesus Christ, what a ride into depravity that was. All these modern film makers trying to use shock value could take a few pointers from some of the HK Cat III flicks I've seen lately. As nasty and perverse as they are, they're thoroughly entertaining and never seem contrived. Highly recommend this, and even moreso The Untold Story.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2387 on: October 30, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »

Ebola Syndrome - Jesus Christ, what a ride into depravity that was. All these modern film makers trying to use shock value could take a few pointers from some of the HK Cat III flicks I've seen lately. As nasty and perverse as they are, they're thoroughly entertaining and never seem contrived. Highly recommend this, and even moreso The Untold Story.

I envy you! I wish I could watch Ebola Syndrome for the first time again. Nothing can prepare you for that insanity. It's extra awesome because the lead, Anthony Wong, is a well respected Hong Kong actor, who just sleazes things up so perfectly.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2388 on: October 30, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure Ebola Syndrome was released on dvd in the U.S*. but I never bought it. May have to go check eBay right now as it's one I've always wanted to see.

I think it's Massacre Video has The Devil planned for Blu-ray. It's one of the early Chinese-puking-insects films. I vaguely remember it being basically a soap opera with a few disgusting scenes. Definitely a film I never expected to see get a proper release. I've read that the rights are really difficult to obtain for HK films or the elements are in piss-poor condition.

*Discotek released it & copies on eBay range from $36 up to $100!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:12:29 PM by bitewerksMTB » Logged
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2389 on: October 31, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »

That's the very one I have. I remember buying that and Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs from them a very long time time. Zero Woman is on there for some really absurd prices -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zero-Woman-Red-Handcuffs-DVD-Color-Ntsc-Subtitled-Widescreen-Mint/183502828538?epid=49228811&hash=item2ab99ef3fa:g:y3AAAOSw8Gpb0Z4u:rk:14:pf:0
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2390 on: October 31, 2018, 03:49:31 PM »

That's the very one I have. I remember buying that and Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs from them a very long time time. Zero Woman is on there for some really absurd prices -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zero-Woman-Red-Handcuffs-DVD-Color-Ntsc-Subtitled-Widescreen-Mint/183502828538?epid=49228811&hash=item2ab99ef3fa:g:y3AAAOSw8Gpb0Z4u:rk:14:pf:0

holy shit!  I sadly don't own Ebola Syndrome. I watched it a friend's place back in high school (?) maybe early college... sad to here it's so damn expensive now. gonna have to find a good torrent.

last night I got to see John Carpenter's The Thing on the big screen for the first time in Philly, in all its goopy glory. I don't know if they showed the newest 4K scan from Arrow or actually played the film or what, but it looked terrific! the theater fixed their sound system since the last time I was there so it sounded great too. it's so nice to see a movie I've seen 20-30 times in setting where you're forced to focus completely on what is happening, and you get to just soak it all in. such a great fucking movie. I don't need to go on about why, everyone here should have seen The Thing.

at this point I've seen most of my top 10 movies on the big screen, including Perfect Blue earlier this year. the last big one is The Shining. I have to imagine that'll happen sooner or later.

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2391 on: November 01, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »

I'd say "I don't know how this became my most active thread!" but I do. I watch a lot of movies and listen to less music than I used to.

Anyways, last night I revisited 28 Days Later for the first time in 10+ years. To my taste it really held up. Two things that make it stand out still, the weird image quality of 90% of the movie and the angles of the shots lend everything a mediocre CCTV recording feel. especially the shots in London. second, the last 15 minutes at the military camp when shit goes ballistic and ends with a head smash into concrete followed by eye gouging never fails to get the blood pumping. also the movie introduced me to the music of GY!BE. for those who haven't seen it in ages I recommend revisiting it!

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2392 on: November 01, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »

I watched 28 Days Later on AMC recently & it was okay. I don't believe I've seen it since the theater. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, uncut.

Halloween viewing was The Frozen Dead (mandatory Alt-Right viewing); Carnival of Souls (I just kinda like this film but will watch it any time I come across it), and Night of the Living Dead (Not sure why but this was the first time I noticed the zombies use tools...).
Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #2393 on: November 01, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »

saw Suspiria 2018 last night. where to start? the things that make Suspiria (1977) a stone cold classic (imho) are the soundtrack, the visuals & the suspense. all three of these were completely lacking in 2018 re imaging.
thom yorke doing the soundtrack? went in thinking "as long as i dont have to hear him sing it will be fine." surprise surprise withing the first 10 minutes i have to hear his shitty vocals.
visuals were absolutely bland. all earth tones and muted greens/yellows. think wes anderson.
lastly the complete showing of the hand from the get go ruined any sense of thrill. the "twist" ending sucked. i'd say they put most of the effort into the dancing than anything else.
brutalist_tapes
user

« Reply #2394 on: November 02, 2018, 02:22:16 PM »

the last ones i saw was last orgy of the gestapo - it is a bit more artsy than ilsa, shewolf of the ss, but i actually think i prefer the latter, because even though it's a little bit more "intellectual" it's nothing like the night porter or saló. also the carbine high school massacre - total DIY classic! very recommended if you are into trashy movies, no budget, but it's killer - and the filmmakers got locked up for making it!

Si Clark
Heavy user

« Reply #2395 on: November 03, 2018, 03:06:01 AM »

Has anyone here seen The Ritual (2017)? I've almost finished the book it was based on which is different enough that I would recommend if you have seen the film (not sure about the black metal stuff in the book - not in the film). The film is a great adaptation, adding new elements to the story - basically 4 English guys get lost in some old Swedish woods. The visuals are very good and you don't see much of the thing chasing them.

Black Psychosis -label - http://blackpsychosis.blogspot.co.uk/
rocksoff

« Reply #2396 on: November 03, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »

Finally pulled the extended Italian edition of Goodbye Uncle Tom from the Mondo boxset and watched it last night. Feels like Jacopetti and Prosperi testing the absolute limit of how far they could take their brand of sardonic mockery under the guise of an apology for Africa Addio. No Hallmark bullshit or nobility to be found; just human ugliness and stupidity.
Kim V
moderate user

« Reply #2397 on: November 03, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »

Has anyone here seen The Ritual (2017)? I've almost finished the book it was based on which is different enough that I would recommend if you have seen the film (not sure about the black metal stuff in the book - not in the film). The film is a great adaptation, adding new elements to the story - basically 4 English guys get lost in some old Swedish woods. The visuals are very good and you don't see much of the thing chasing them.

Seen it and liked it a lot. Not that fond of classic horror movies but stuff like this works well for me. Anything remotely occult is totally up my alley anyway. I like the tempo in which the atmosphere builds up, not too slow, not too fast and yes, it is good that enough is left to the imagination. Didn't know about the book though.

you're just a victim of yourself
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2398 on: November 07, 2018, 01:03:53 AM »

Ken Burns' "Vietnam" documentary series (PBS)
          Finally got a library copy. Goes well with Wince's "Nerves" or Striations' "Vietnamization" tapes beyond the obvious appeal. Recently watched Apocalypse Now Redux so seems appropriate - if I have a favorite film, it's that one.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2399 on: November 07, 2018, 01:14:43 AM »

No Country for Old Men - Perpetual favourite. Only film I've seen in theatres and immediately went back to see again the next day. I prefer it to the book (unlike The Road...).

Going through some Romero watches / rewatches with a couple friends. Season of the Witch is nicely executed with restraint, The Crazies wasn't as good as I remembered it being, Martin was better than I remembered it being and I'll now rank it among my favourite Romeros, and Dawn of the Dead is one of the GOATs. Next weekend will be Knightriders and Day of the Dead. Very interested in the former, seems like it'll be a lot of fun, and I haven't seen "Day..." in nearly a decade.

First Reformed (Paul Schrader) incredible ending, but it doesn't make up for other imperfections, still worth a watch.

Wind River pretty straightforward for casual viewing (with one "holy fuck" moment).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:16:48 AM by absurdexposition » Logged

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 186
  Print  

Jump to: