Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallOfNature

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 30, 2018, 06:09:59 PM
*Discotek released it & copies on eBay range from $36 up to $100!

That's the very one I have. I remember buying that and Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs from them a very long time time. Zero Woman is on there for some really absurd prices -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zero-Woman-Red-Handcuffs-DVD-Color-Ntsc-Subtitled-Widescreen-Mint/183502828538?epid=49228811&hash=item2ab99ef3fa:g:y3AAAOSw8Gpb0Z4u:rk:14:pf:0

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: FallOfNature on October 31, 2018, 10:04:45 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 30, 2018, 06:09:59 PM
*Discotek released it & copies on eBay range from $36 up to $100!

That's the very one I have. I remember buying that and Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs from them a very long time time. Zero Woman is on there for some really absurd prices -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zero-Woman-Red-Handcuffs-DVD-Color-Ntsc-Subtitled-Widescreen-Mint/183502828538?epid=49228811&hash=item2ab99ef3fa:g:y3AAAOSw8Gpb0Z4u:rk:14:pf:0

holy shit!  I sadly don't own Ebola Syndrome. I watched it a friend's place back in high school (?) maybe early college... sad to here it's so damn expensive now. gonna have to find a good torrent.

last night I got to see John Carpenter's The Thing on the big screen for the first time in Philly, in all its goopy glory. I don't know if they showed the newest 4K scan from Arrow or actually played the film or what, but it looked terrific! the theater fixed their sound system since the last time I was there so it sounded great too. it's so nice to see a movie I've seen 20-30 times in setting where you're forced to focus completely on what is happening, and you get to just soak it all in. such a great fucking movie. I don't need to go on about why, everyone here should have seen The Thing.

at this point I've seen most of my top 10 movies on the big screen, including Perfect Blue earlier this year. the last big one is The Shining. I have to imagine that'll happen sooner or later.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ConcreteMascara

I'd say "I don't know how this became my most active thread!" but I do. I watch a lot of movies and listen to less music than I used to.

Anyways, last night I revisited 28 Days Later for the first time in 10+ years. To my taste it really held up. Two things that make it stand out still, the weird image quality of 90% of the movie and the angles of the shots lend everything a mediocre CCTV recording feel. especially the shots in London. second, the last 15 minutes at the military camp when shit goes ballistic and ends with a head smash into concrete followed by eye gouging never fails to get the blood pumping. also the movie introduced me to the music of GY!BE. for those who haven't seen it in ages I recommend revisiting it!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

I watched 28 Days Later on AMC recently & it was okay. I don't believe I've seen it since the theater. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, uncut.

Halloween viewing was The Frozen Dead (mandatory Alt-Right viewing); Carnival of Souls (I just kinda like this film but will watch it any time I come across it), and Night of the Living Dead (Not sure why but this was the first time I noticed the zombies use tools...).

XXX

saw Suspiria 2018 last night. where to start? the things that make Suspiria (1977) a stone cold classic (imho) are the soundtrack, the visuals & the suspense. all three of these were completely lacking in 2018 re imaging.
thom yorke doing the soundtrack? went in thinking "as long as i dont have to hear him sing it will be fine." surprise surprise withing the first 10 minutes i have to hear his shitty vocals.
visuals were absolutely bland. all earth tones and muted greens/yellows. think wes anderson.
lastly the complete showing of the hand from the get go ruined any sense of thrill. the "twist" ending sucked. i'd say they put most of the effort into the dancing than anything else.

brutalist_tapes

the last ones i saw was last orgy of the gestapo - it is a bit more artsy than ilsa, shewolf of the ss, but i actually think i prefer the latter, because even though it's a little bit more "intellectual" it's nothing like the night porter or saló. also the carbine high school massacre - total DIY classic! very recommended if you are into trashy movies, no budget, but it's killer - and the filmmakers got locked up for making it!

SiClark

Has anyone here seen The Ritual (2017)? I've almost finished the book it was based on which is different enough that I would recommend if you have seen the film (not sure about the black metal stuff in the book - not in the film). The film is a great adaptation, adding new elements to the story - basically 4 English guys get lost in some old Swedish woods. The visuals are very good and you don't see much of the thing chasing them.

rocksoff

Finally pulled the extended Italian edition of Goodbye Uncle Tom from the Mondo boxset and watched it last night. Feels like Jacopetti and Prosperi testing the absolute limit of how far they could take their brand of sardonic mockery under the guise of an apology for Africa Addio. No Hallmark bullshit or nobility to be found; just human ugliness and stupidity.

Kim V

Quote from: Si Clark on November 03, 2018, 03:06:01 AM
Has anyone here seen The Ritual (2017)? I've almost finished the book it was based on which is different enough that I would recommend if you have seen the film (not sure about the black metal stuff in the book - not in the film). The film is a great adaptation, adding new elements to the story - basically 4 English guys get lost in some old Swedish woods. The visuals are very good and you don't see much of the thing chasing them.

Seen it and liked it a lot. Not that fond of classic horror movies but stuff like this works well for me. Anything remotely occult is totally up my alley anyway. I like the tempo in which the atmosphere builds up, not too slow, not too fast and yes, it is good that enough is left to the imagination. Didn't know about the book though.
you're just a victim of yourself

Peterson

Ken Burns' "Vietnam" documentary series (PBS)
          Finally got a library copy. Goes well with Wince's "Nerves" or Striations' "Vietnamization" tapes beyond the obvious appeal. Recently watched Apocalypse Now Redux so seems appropriate - if I have a favorite film, it's that one.

absurdexposition

No Country for Old Men - Perpetual favourite. Only film I've seen in theatres and immediately went back to see again the next day. I prefer it to the book (unlike The Road...).

Going through some Romero watches / rewatches with a couple friends. Season of the Witch is nicely executed with restraint, The Crazies wasn't as good as I remembered it being, Martin was better than I remembered it being and I'll now rank it among my favourite Romeros, and Dawn of the Dead is one of the GOATs. Next weekend will be Knightriders and Day of the Dead. Very interested in the former, seems like it'll be a lot of fun, and I haven't seen "Day..." in nearly a decade.

First Reformed (Paul Schrader) incredible ending, but it doesn't make up for other imperfections, still worth a watch.

Wind River pretty straightforward for casual viewing (with one "holy fuck" moment).
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

Saturday & Sunday, I watched Mandy & The Sniper. The first was okay & on VOD in SD so it had some digital glitches so I would like to see it again. I kinda liked the first slow half over the out of control second half.

The second film is from the '50s & is a must-see for Incels. It was on Turner Classic Movies.

I've read "The Ritual" but have not seen the film. The book was good which led me to check out the author's other books. I can't remember his name or the titles of the books. One was about a haunted hotel that I think I liked.

God, how awesome would a 4k transfer of Goodbye, Uncle Tom be?!? Special edition with both versions, a cd soundtrack, a booklet, poster, etc.!!!!!! Such an over the top film that is really difficult to sit through. Someone recently told me that had to watch it over a couple of days, they just couldn't take it.

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 07, 2018, 01:55:15 AM
Mandy [...] I kinda liked the first slow half over the out of control second half.

Same. For the first half I was like "why do so many of my friends hate this movie?", then I kept finding out why over the last half.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Coma Detox

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on November 07, 2018, 01:55:15 AM
Saturday & Sunday, I watched Mandy & The Sniper. The first was okay & on VOD in SD so it had some digital glitches so I would like to see it again. I kinda liked the first slow half over the out of control second half.

The second film is from the '50s & is a must-see for Incels. It was on Turner Classic Movies.

I've read "The Ritual" but have not seen the film. The book was good which led me to check out the author's other books. I can't remember his name or the titles of the books. One was about a haunted hotel that I think I liked.

God, how awesome would a 4k transfer of Goodbye, Uncle Tom be?!? Special edition with both versions, a cd soundtrack, a booklet, poster, etc.!!!!!! Such an over the top film that is really difficult to sit through. Someone recently told me that had to watch it over a couple of days, they just couldn't take it.

I just recently watched Goodbye Uncle Tom & Fight For Your Life back to back.  So many classic one-liners from Fight For Your Life.  Both those movies need Blu-Ray releases, but I have no idea if better source material exists or if Blue Underground even has the rights to those films anymore.  Both DVD's still look pretty decent to me at least.

FallOfNature

Fight For Your Life is a classic. I once heard a rumour William Sanderson appeared at some comic con (due to his acting in Blade Runner, True Blood, Deadwood etc) and got quite annoyed that all the fans wanted to talk about was Fight For Your Life.

Guess he's a bit reluctant to talk about it and some of the content and language in it with today's PC crowd.