Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aububs

the descent is great and pretty highly rated i think, but yeah the US ending is bullshit

burial ground is an all-timer

went to see the new halloween movie the other day. i liked it. good slasher. a lot more violent than i expected. there's a nutty bit with the new loomis which a lot of people will hate but i decided it was cool and good

aububs

oh wait beyond the darkness is buio omega

that movie is fucked up and amazing

DSOL

I plan on seeing the new Halloween this Friday - really looking forward to it.

I don't know if anyone here has Shudder but they are adding Mandy sometime soon and this Friday they are adding Summer Of 84 everything I've seen online for SO84 its suppose to be a good movie
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

aububs

the burning moon is gross. caught it in the cinema a few years ago at a horror festival. needed a wash afterwards

vomitgore

Quote from: aububs on October 22, 2018, 09:47:16 PM
the burning moon is gross. caught it in the cinema a few years ago at a horror festival. needed a wash afterwards

Still one of the essential German gore films. Right up there with the Violent Shit trilogy.

FallOfNature

Burning Moon is great. Early Ittenbach films were killer.

Caught Sicario: Day Of The Soldado and It Comes At Night over the weekend. Sicario was ok but not as good as the first. Won't be rushing to watch It Comes At Night again.

Criterion blu rays of Seven Samurai and Yojimbo/Sanjuro in the mailbox  last week so I'll revisit those asap. Ordered Deadbeat at Dawn and Horrors of Malformed Men blus from Arrow UK, too. Stoked on the news of Cruising.

ConcreteMascara

last night was my first viewing of the 1989 directorial debut of Takeshi Kitano, "Violent Cop". another film where I can't explain why it's taken me so goddamn long to watch it, as Takeshi Kitano was one of the first actors and directors from Japan I became aware of way back in my freshman year of high school. Great fucking movie though. The pace is surprisingly slow, the direction is almost documentary-esque. There's none of the hyperstylized editing of Miike or Tsukamoto, it's all very matter of fact. the last 30 minutes of the movie really fucking kill, especially the final showdown. the visuals and pace remind me of the calm parts of John Woo's best films, mixed with the nihilism of '60s and '70s Yakuza films. excellent stuff.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Turbo Kid - movie was actually quite enjoyable - ridiculous for the most part but I'm a sucker for over the top gore and blood with a pretty dumb plot 

cr

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 19, 2018, 06:00:37 PM
The Sword of Doom 1966 - still my favorite jidaigeki film of all time, despite all of its flaws. much like Vengeance is Mine, the whole film centers around a misanthropic self-centered murderous asshole who still oozes charisma. i'll never get tired of this one.

Had the DVD of this one standing in my shelves for years, but didn't watch until today for unknown reasons. So thanks for the reminder, it's indeed a very good one. Tatsuya Nakadai is great here.

holy ghost

Watched Annihilation on netflix this past week and it was pretty great - Natalie Portman is excellent in it, the movie itself was really interesting and done well, no schlocky scares or found footage type stuff happening, I haven't read the book series but it's next on my list for sure, I absolutely loved it - it was my wife's suggestion and I think I liked it more than she did.

aububs

yeah i liked that too. it cribs from a lot of stuff but that's ok. i liked the nod to gene wolfe's alzabo. more people should rip off ideas that gene wolfe had

DSOL

Halloween (2018) - meh, kind of underwhelming. some decent kills

The Fog - playing at a local theater in 4K. the classic looked great and it was pretty cool seeing it in the big screen

Friday The 13th 2-4- these were on AMC or something and were just playing in the background while I did other stuff, part 3 has always been my favorite one in the series, especially the last 10 minutes. 

FallOfNature

Ebola Syndrome - Jesus Christ, what a ride into depravity that was. All these modern film makers trying to use shock value could take a few pointers from some of the HK Cat III flicks I've seen lately. As nasty and perverse as they are, they're thoroughly entertaining and never seem contrived. Highly recommend this, and even moreso The Untold Story.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: FallOfNature on October 30, 2018, 07:57:30 AM
Ebola Syndrome - Jesus Christ, what a ride into depravity that was. All these modern film makers trying to use shock value could take a few pointers from some of the HK Cat III flicks I've seen lately. As nasty and perverse as they are, they're thoroughly entertaining and never seem contrived. Highly recommend this, and even moreso The Untold Story.

I envy you! I wish I could watch Ebola Syndrome for the first time again. Nothing can prepare you for that insanity. It's extra awesome because the lead, Anthony Wong, is a well respected Hong Kong actor, who just sleazes things up so perfectly.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

I'm pretty sure Ebola Syndrome was released on dvd in the U.S*. but I never bought it. May have to go check eBay right now as it's one I've always wanted to see.

I think it's Massacre Video has The Devil planned for Blu-ray. It's one of the early Chinese-puking-insects films. I vaguely remember it being basically a soap opera with a few disgusting scenes. Definitely a film I never expected to see get a proper release. I've read that the rights are really difficult to obtain for HK films or the elements are in piss-poor condition.

*Discotek released it & copies on eBay range from $36 up to $100!