Special Interest
October 20, 2019, 11:33:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 189
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 673510 times)
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2370 on: October 22, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »

picked these up over the weekend - have a long weekend next weekend so I hope to squeeze a couple of these in

Zombie 3
Shocking Dark
Beyond The Darkness
Burial Ground
The Burning Moon
Cannibal Holocaust

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2371 on: October 22, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »

this past Saturday my friend and I hosted our 6th Halloween Horror Movie Marathon. We watched the following:

Hellraiser (1987) - goopy as all hell. a perfect opener

Maniac Cop 2 (1990) - not as good as the first but still a lot of fun. the ending where there multiple men on fire was a huge highlight. any movie that has a guy on fire for an extended period always gets major bonus points from me.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) - my favorite from the franchise, it's a perfect blend of camp and awesome practical horror effects. and Patricia Arquette is awesome in her film debut too.

Event Horizon (1997) - still one of my favs.

The Descent (2005) - saw this once right after it came out but I was all coked up and mostly focused on fondling the girl i was with at the time. but despite all that I remembered really liking this one much to my surprise. even more surprised that it held up even better than I expected. also wound up being the crowd favorite of the night

It (2017) - still enjoy this one quite a bit, but a little less than on my first viewing. suffers from a reliance on modern horror gimmicks.

Re-Animator (1985) - and I fell asleep as soon as this classic started...

Lots of coffee and chili was consumed throughout so it was a stinky affair. All in all a good time.

DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2372 on: October 22, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »

The Descent IMO is a very underrated movie

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2373 on: October 22, 2018, 07:31:57 PM »

Saturday night was Don't Deliver Us from Evil. It runs kind of slow but it's difficult not to like due to the theme, the suggestive eroticism, & fiery climax. I would imagine this shocked the hell out of movie-goers in 1971.

Yeah, The Descent ain't bad as long as it's the original ending. It was changed for U.S. audiences.

Beyond the Darkness and Burial Ground are excellent releases!

aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2374 on: October 22, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »

the descent is great and pretty highly rated i think, but yeah the US ending is bullshit

burial ground is an all-timer

went to see the new halloween movie the other day. i liked it. good slasher. a lot more violent than i expected. there's a nutty bit with the new loomis which a lot of people will hate but i decided it was cool and good
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2375 on: October 22, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »

oh wait beyond the darkness is buio omega

that movie is fucked up and amazing
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2376 on: October 22, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »

I plan on seeing the new Halloween this Friday - really looking forward to it.

I don't know if anyone here has Shudder but they are adding Mandy sometime soon and this Friday they are adding Summer Of 84 everything I've seen online for SO84 its suppose to be a good movie

aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2377 on: October 22, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »

the burning moon is gross. caught it in the cinema a few years ago at a horror festival. needed a wash afterwards
vomitgore
Heavy user

« Reply #2378 on: October 24, 2018, 12:11:47 AM »

the burning moon is gross. caught it in the cinema a few years ago at a horror festival. needed a wash afterwards

Still one of the essential German gore films. Right up there with the Violent Shit trilogy.

FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2379 on: October 24, 2018, 12:31:44 AM »

Burning Moon is great. Early Ittenbach films were killer.

Caught Sicario: Day Of The Soldado and It Comes At Night over the weekend. Sicario was ok but not as good as the first. Won't be rushing to watch It Comes At Night again.

Criterion blu rays of Seven Samurai and Yojimbo/Sanjuro in the mailbox  last week so I'll revisit those asap. Ordered Deadbeat at Dawn and Horrors of Malformed Men blus from Arrow UK, too. Stoked on the news of Cruising.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2380 on: October 24, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »

last night was my first viewing of the 1989 directorial debut of Takeshi Kitano, "Violent Cop". another film where I can't explain why it's taken me so goddamn long to watch it, as Takeshi Kitano was one of the first actors and directors from Japan I became aware of way back in my freshman year of high school. Great fucking movie though. The pace is surprisingly slow, the direction is almost documentary-esque. There's none of the hyperstylized editing of Miike or Tsukamoto, it's all very matter of fact. the last 30 minutes of the movie really fucking kill, especially the final showdown. the visuals and pace remind me of the calm parts of John Woo's best films, mixed with the nihilism of '60s and '70s Yakuza films. excellent stuff.

DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2381 on: October 24, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »

Turbo Kid - movie was actually quite enjoyable - ridiculous for the most part but I'm a sucker for over the top gore and blood with a pretty dumb plot 

cr
Diehard user

« Reply #2382 on: October 25, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »

The Sword of Doom 1966 - still my favorite jidaigeki film of all time, despite all of its flaws. much like Vengeance is Mine, the whole film centers around a misanthropic self-centered murderous asshole who still oozes charisma. i'll never get tired of this one.

Had the DVD of this one standing in my shelves for years, but didn't watch until today for unknown reasons. So thanks for the reminder, it's indeed a very good one. Tatsuya Nakadai is great here.
holy ghost
Heavy user

« Reply #2383 on: October 25, 2018, 11:40:25 PM »

Watched Annihilation on netflix this past week and it was pretty great - Natalie Portman is excellent in it, the movie itself was really interesting and done well, no schlocky scares or found footage type stuff happening, I haven't read the book series but it's next on my list for sure, I absolutely loved it - it was my wife's suggestion and I think I liked it more than she did.
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2384 on: October 26, 2018, 11:21:19 PM »

yeah i liked that too. it cribs from a lot of stuff but that's ok. i liked the nod to gene wolfe's alzabo. more people should rip off ideas that gene wolfe had
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... 189
  Print  

Jump to: