Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Currently watching Chris Lee in City of the Dead aka Horror Hotel. I caught him in The Devil's Bride a few nights ago.

Also, just put an order into Amazon UK for Arrow's lim. ed. release of Fulci's The City of the Living Dead. Gotta have the Gates of Hell poster that comes with it!

DSOL

Beetlejuice

local theater was showing it for $5 at select times this past weekend for it's 30th anniversary
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

bitewerksMTB

Ilsa: Harem Keeper of the Oil Shieks

Not as vile as She-Wolf but still quite violent & entertaining.

online prowler

THE FOG anno 1980 is a grim classic. Watched it again after feeling the urge reading previous comments here. Still holds up, mastercraft atmosphere - dank and subtly claustrophobic. And what a great soundtrack the score is. So, thanks for the reminder guys!  

Been watching a few movies over at mubi stream channel. They do a very good job curating films and always keep it ecclectic. Recent recommended vision was German director Christoph Schlingensief's trash opus TERROR 2000 w Udi Kier in one of the supporting roles as a gun-toothing neo-nazi slash criminal. As of today mubi is also showing Schlingensief's 100 YEARS OF ADOLF HITLER (shot in a wwii bunker utilizing a flash light as only light source over 16 hours - also stars Kier). Mubi also initated an Ozu period now, will re-visit classic tidal flow film TOKYO STORY by Ozu Yasujiro one of these days. True craft on all fronts that one.

Roughed-up ensemble crim flick slash black comedy LOW LIFE also tuned up my hard drive some weeks ago. Not a classic pér se, but I think it worked well despite some faults. Cinematography is especially good and the characters are also fun. Check the trailer online. Kinji Fukasaku's STREET MOBSTER still kills, maybe one of my fav early films of his. Will have to dig forth Cops & Thugs plus Graveyard of honour soon as well. While at it, trawl by youtube and get a glimpse of Jim Greco's short film JOBS? NEVER!! Well crafted skate film, with an aura of Hal Hartley 90s films.

Watching Stanley Donen's ARABESQUE this evening. Same director who did CHARADE - which as Carpenter's above said flick also feature a great score.  

Oh yea.... I forgot.... If anyone want to see Hitchcock's THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH over at Mubi for free and get a one week free pass on the platform in the same go PM me your email and name. I got one of three invitations to spare.

UH! Need to get back to ILSA series soon again!!!

ConcreteMascara

from the last week and half or so..

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers 1988 - WTF. immediately worse than the original, it casts aside any notion that it will be a good movie, a mystery or anything other than slaughterhouse in the first five minutes. Bruce Springsteen's sister is one of them most hideously ugly women to ever grace the screen, truly the only scary part of the movie. while it was fun it was too mindless for my taste. if the gore had been better I could've enjoyed it more. if anyone one part of it was done well i could've latched on to that. but it was basically just a shitfest. yet I still feel its necessary to really scrape the barrel and watch the 3rd Sleepaway Camp but I'm not looking forward too it.

Sanjuro 1962 - been sitting on a Bluray copy of this for wayyy to long. I love Yojimbo but I thought there's no way this could be as good. 10 minutes into the film and I realized how wrong I was. I think I might even prefer it to Yojimbo, with the one caveat being that Tatsuya Nakadai's character isn't as great as it is in Yojimbo. but Toshiro Mifune absolutely kills. he's a fucking pleasure to watch and the plot and pace are really tight. all of the fight scenes are perfect and the final duel is the stuff of legend.

The Sword of Doom 1966 - still my favorite jidaigeki film of all time, despite all of its flaws. much like Vengeance is Mine, the whole film centers around a misanthropic self-centered murderous asshole who still oozes charisma. i'll never get tired of this one.

Puppet Master 1989 - somehow I got this far in life without ever watching Full Moon's most famous film/franchise. honestly the movie is pretty goddamn slow but the dreamy atmosphere and semi-fuckable females kept me interested. the puppet kills ruled. and Irene Miracle character is fucking great. her super limited role in Argento's Inferno is my favorite part of the whole film and I was totally surprised to see her in this. after I finish off the rest of the terrible, terrible Hellraiser films I'll be diving into this series.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

THE RITA HN

THE FOG (1980).  Definitely one of the first movies to mentally destroy me as a kid watching midnight movies on BCTV.
When you take a step back and break it down, it really is Carpenter's masterpiece.

DSOL

local theater is showing The Fog 4K Restoration Friday the 26th -28th for like $5 - looking forward to seeing it in 4K

bitewerksMTB

There's an online rumour that Arrow Video may be releasing William Friedkin's classic, CRUSING

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 20, 2018, 12:04:26 AM
There's an online rumour that Arrow Video may be releasing William Friedkin's classic, CRUSING

HOLY SHIT !!!! Please say it is true!

RE_ local theater is showing The Fog 4K Restoration Friday the 26th -28th for like $5 - looking forward to seeing it in 4K.

- You lucky bastard!

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: online prowler on October 20, 2018, 10:36:21 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 20, 2018, 12:04:26 AM
There's an online rumour that Arrow Video may be releasing William Friedkin's classic, CRUSING!  

HOLY SHIT !!!! Please say it is true!

The info was posted after someone opened a recent Arrow rel. to find a promo postcard for the movie. Whether that means anything, who knows?

Sure hope Arrow has the rights. That leaves Ken Russell's infamous film for my most wanted...

DSOL

picked these up over the weekend - have a long weekend next weekend so I hope to squeeze a couple of these in

Zombie 3
Shocking Dark
Beyond The Darkness
Burial Ground
The Burning Moon
Cannibal Holocaust

ConcreteMascara

this past Saturday my friend and I hosted our 6th Halloween Horror Movie Marathon. We watched the following:

Hellraiser (1987) - goopy as all hell. a perfect opener

Maniac Cop 2 (1990) - not as good as the first but still a lot of fun. the ending where there multiple men on fire was a huge highlight. any movie that has a guy on fire for an extended period always gets major bonus points from me.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) - my favorite from the franchise, it's a perfect blend of camp and awesome practical horror effects. and Patricia Arquette is awesome in her film debut too.

Event Horizon (1997) - still one of my favs.

The Descent (2005) - saw this once right after it came out but I was all coked up and mostly focused on fondling the girl i was with at the time. but despite all that I remembered really liking this one much to my surprise. even more surprised that it held up even better than I expected. also wound up being the crowd favorite of the night

It (2017) - still enjoy this one quite a bit, but a little less than on my first viewing. suffers from a reliance on modern horror gimmicks.

Re-Animator (1985) - and I fell asleep as soon as this classic started...

Lots of coffee and chili was consumed throughout so it was a stinky affair. All in all a good time.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

bitewerksMTB

Saturday night was Don't Deliver Us from Evil. It runs kind of slow but it's difficult not to like due to the theme, the suggestive eroticism, & fiery climax. I would imagine this shocked the hell out of movie-goers in 1971.

Yeah, The Descent ain't bad as long as it's the original ending. It was changed for U.S. audiences.

Beyond the Darkness and Burial Ground are excellent releases!