Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallOfNature

Taeter City. Yet to see a Necrostorm feature that I feel is worth the praise it gets. No exception here either. Gore is plentiful and some is quite good but can never be taken too seriously when the blood looks like cranberry juice. Some really irritating moments too, all the computer generated graphics/cartoons annoyed me.

Cardboard Gangsters. Caught this on Netflix and it delivered for the most part. Actors were all convincing and it succeeded in painting a pretty bleak image of some of Dublin's rougher areas. There is some clumsiness and in pacing of the film and it ends pretty much just as it really gets going. I think it could've made a better mini-series than a 90min film. Worth a look if thuggish gangster movies is your thing.

ConcreteMascara

Tuesday night was Ben Wheatley's Kill List, which I've seen 6 or 7 times now. Really love that one, only gets better with re-watching. brutal violence, unexplained developments, great music. I have no complaint to level at it. Reminds me that I need to sit down and watch A Field In England.

Last night was Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes. my first time watching it, I was a little surprised by how much of a trashy exploitation vibe it had. sure Last House is exploitative but in a more domestic way, but compared to this it feels almost button down. still enjoyable as hell and it was great to see a German Shepard fuck some people up.

have a feeling that I'll be digging into that cult film bitewerks mentioned, I think it's called the Texas Chainsaw Disaster or something. never heard of it but there's some guy who named latex face I heard is supposed to be spooky.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Soloman Tump

Quote from: DSOL on September 29, 2018, 10:56:52 PM
Quote from: aububs on September 29, 2018, 09:47:15 PM
Quote from: DSOL on September 29, 2018, 03:31:48 AM
Mandy - insane fucking movie and probably one of the best performances from Nic Cage

the bathroom scene is an all-timer

the most powerful scene in the entire movie

Thanks for the heads up - this looks like a good watch.

Con-Air is one of my guilty pleasures :D

bitewerksMTB

Ilsa: She-Wolf of the S.S.- I'm guessing no label has tackled this film is due to rights issues, sky-high money demands or lack of suitable materials to scan. Money is the best guess. Thankfully, the Anchor Bay dvd set looks good. This film always surprises me with how violent & bloody it is. I think of it as just a sex film & always forget about all of the graphic torture. The bloody, burned, cut-up woman stalking tied-up Ilsa in the climax is a site to behold. Sure would like to see it in full HD one of these days!

DSOL

Because I got them on one DVD for $4.99

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday and Jason X

The Final Friday - forgot just how terrible the movie and plot are. some decent kills but the fact that they are from random characters who just have Jason's spirit just make them more or less meh. would have been better

X - just a stupid fun movie to watch with some okay kills. the best scene is when Jason is beating the campers with each other

Satan's Slaves -  Indonesian horror film -prequel to a film with the same name from 1980. interesting plot and a few jump scenes - couple gore parts but nothing over the top.
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

DSOL

because of both bitewerksMTB & ConcreteMascara

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

absurdexposition

Wrapping up some 80s Carpenter loose ends this week. Prince of Darkness, The Fog and Christine.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

DSOL

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: DSOL on October 10, 2018, 05:47:37 PM
love The Fog, one of my favorites growing up

Finally watched this one for the first time last year and I was disappointed, partially due to misaligned expectations. will have to re-watch. Prince of Darkness is fucking great though! Some terrible acting and silly parts but the idea and general execution is pretty great.

Last night was my first viewing of Sleepaway Camp (1983) and I really enjoyed. I went to summer camp as a kid a lot of it rang true. kids are the fucking worst. and the acting from a the kids was generally pretty damn good. I guessed the ending pretty early on, but the execution was wayyy better than i could have imagined. the last 20 minutes or so really ramp up. I'll have to check out the terrible looking sequels soon.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 10, 2018, 06:48:56 PM
Quote from: DSOL on October 10, 2018, 05:47:37 PM
love The Fog, one of my favorites growing up
Finally watched this one for the first time last year and I was disappointed, partially due to misaligned expectations. will have to re-watch. Prince of Darkness is fucking great though! Some terrible acting and silly parts but the idea and general execution is pretty great.

Agreed on both counts! I felt The Fog to be pretty empty.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

bitewerksMTB

No, no, no. The Fog is a classic. Just ask Goatlord!

Watched mainstream films the last few late nights: The Last Boy Scout, Natural Born Killers, The Grifters.

I found good deals on a couple of releases from Unearthed Films: Atroz and The Song of Solomon. I'll probably check them out Halloween night.

DSOL

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 10, 2018, 10:27:56 PMThe Song of Solomon

the exorcism film? Gene Palubicki from Angelcorpse is in the movie. (the priest on the cover) the FYE at my local mall had one copy in for $20, picked it up about a month ago, but haven't watched it yet

Strangecross

BunMan: the untold story not as good as Ebola Syndrome but the movie unexpectedly take a really wicked turn that takes it to more brutal territory for an amazing ending. 10/10

Something Weird not as good as i remembered it, but i still think this is HGL's best even without any blood. 9/10

island of Death was online researching music gear while watching, but this dude randomly fucking and killing a baby goat was amazing...didnt really seem to deserve my full attention(which is fine) even though there were some good things to come away from it with.  7/10

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: DSOL on October 10, 2018, 10:53:29 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on October 10, 2018, 10:27:56 PMThe Song of Solomon

the exorcism film? Gene Palubicki from Angelcorpse is in the movie. (the priest on the cover) the FYE at my local mall had one copy in for $20, picked it up about a month ago, but haven't watched it yet

Yup. I'm not expecting much other than entertaining gore. I'm keeping an eye out for a couple of the other Am. Guinea Pig films: Sacrifice & Bloodshock. That is, if I can find them heavily discounted. I'm guessing they're not worth full price.

DSOL

yeah, I feel the same way. I think that's why I haven't watched it yet either. I picked it up mainly because of the Angelcorpse connection (yeah dumb reason, I know)