Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

2001: A Space Odyssey in IMAX
Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D

Both incredible to see in big screen variations.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

aububs

Quote from: Force Neurotic on August 26, 2018, 08:13:41 PM
Quote from: aububs on August 19, 2018, 09:33:09 PM
was also really nice to see some confident shots of william petersen's penis during one of the sex scenes.

Just reserved a copy. Friedkin is great but that sells it.

such a treat. i never thought i'd get to see william petersen's penis. i was pretty sure we'd get to see willem dafoe's dick too because he gets it out a lot in other movies, but no dice.

i watched this last night. what can i say that hasn't already been said? maybe the greatest achievement in american film

aububs

just watched Let The Corpses Tan, the new one from Cattet & Forzani. if you like their other stuff (Amer, Strange Color of your Body's Tears) you'll like this. if you don't, you won't. although i think it's their best yet. good score too, reminded me of the amazing morricone score for Who Saw Her Die?

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

XXX

Quote from: aububs on September 01, 2018, 10:46:42 PM
just watched Let The Corpses Tan, the new one from Cattet & Forzani. if you like their other stuff (Amer, Strange Color of your Body's Tears) you'll like this. if you don't, you won't. although i think it's their best yet. good score too, reminded me of the amazing morricone score for Who Saw Her Die?

ah this is coming to my local cinema at the end of the month! thanks for making me aware of this.

aububs

Quote from: absurdexposition on September 01, 2018, 11:08:06 PM
Quote from: aububs on September 01, 2018, 10:46:42 PMthe amazing morricone score for Who Saw Her Die?

Great score.

i've just been informed that they use this morricone score in the movie

lol

they used loads of great og music

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: aububs on September 01, 2018, 10:46:42 PM

I went to see this in theaters in Philly last year and it got cancelled due to "technical difficulties". they had no better explanation than that. It was extremely disappointing, especially as I got to see Amer in theaters which was that much better for it.  I'll have to grab the Bluray soon.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

FREEWAY- the best part is a close-up of a skinny blonde actress in really tight, short cut-off shorts & in a leg cast. Other than that, it's a black comedy about a freeway killer & white trash teenager whose voice will make your ears hurt.

RAZORBACK- "There's just something about blasting the shit out of a razorback that brightens up my day." Classic Aussie '80s horror; the new blu-ray looks great especially during the darker scenes in the pet food factory & when the razorback attacks the car.

THE WHISTLEBLOWER- UN peacekeepers in Bosnia lending a helping hand to the local sex traffickers. There are a  couple of grim scenes of violence including a rape-as-warning in a dank basement, on a table, with a piece of pipe.

cantle

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 02, 2018, 09:10:41 PM

THE WHISTLEBLOWER- UN peacekeepers in Bosnia lending a helping hand to the local sex traffickers. There are a  couple of grim scenes of violence including a rape-as-warning in a dank basement, on a table, with a piece of pipe.

My mate who was out there in the army wrote me a letter describing the going ons there re: kidnapping/ sex trafficing/ organ sales... got it around somewhere

ConcreteMascara

first of all tonight I'm seeing a screening of Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue in Japanese and I couldn't be more excited. at this point I've seen almost all of my favorite movies screened in proper theaters at one point or another, and it's hard to beat the experience.

let's see if i can give a quick recap of movies watched in the past month...

Hellraiser: Inferno (2000) - the 5th Hellraiser and a step in a weird new direction. it attempts a neo-noir style with a corrupt cop anti-hero and a lot less pinhead and a bigger focus on weird hellish surrealism. what's a dream, what's hell, is the main character dead or not. etc etc. it reminded me a lot of the video game Max Payne (the first one). I actually really enjoyed it in all of its shitty glory, my buddy thought it was dumb.

So Sweet, So Dead aka The Slasher! aka Penetration (1972) - after all the recommendations on this board I picked this one up from Code Red. Definitely a stripped down approach to the Giallo film, dispensing of any unnecessary artistic touches or weird bits. While I definitely enjoyed it, and it's to the point nature, I couldn't help but wish the gore/effects budget was a little better. the vibe is right but it lacks punch for my taste. also I guessed the killer immediately. but there's a lot of tits and ass and some good sequences so I'll revisit it again.

Milano Calibro 9 (1972) - this was fucking great! i know Giallo much better than Poliziotteschi, but I knew this one was supposed to be pretty legendary and I can see why. It's my understanding Tarantino praises this one, well I can definitely see some influence on his earlier work. Gastone Moschin as Ugo absolutely kills it, Barbara Bouchet is fucking great as always and pretty much all of the supporting characters are memorable. And the ending is A+!  two movies it brought to mind for different reasons were the utter-classic Le Samouraï and the underrated The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) – one of the first Giallo I ever saw and still one of the best, even if it's not a traditional Giallo.

Alien (1979) & Die Hard (1988) – made my girlfriend sit down and watch these two, which she somehow got through life without seeing. These movies were essential to my childhood, having watched both multiple times before I was ten. Obviously very different movies but both so goddamn great.

Trip With Teacher (1975) – I was hoping for more from this exploitation flick. Not enough exploitation, just a shitload of waiting for things to happen. Not the worst way to spend an hour and a half but not riveting either.

Splatter: Naked Blood (1996) – I've had this one on my shelf for years. I knew about some of the gore to expect, but this was ten shades weirder than I could've imagined. An extremely Japanese film on every level. And the gore, while pretty limited, was a little stomach churning for me. It honestly rustled my jimmies. Definitely a movie I'll have to watch again and recommended for those who enjoy body horror and weird shit in the style of Tetsuo The Iron Man, Videodrome and Audition.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

david lloyd jones

impulse manslaughter

Went out to see Dogman last night. Same director as Gomorra, same vibe also. My favorite movie I saw in the past year. Also watched Journeyman (great acting) and The Guilty (Danish movie filmed in just 2 rooms; claustrophobic atmosphere and some nice plot developments).

Kim V

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on September 13, 2018, 01:21:14 AM
Went out to see Dogman last night. Same director as Gomorra, same vibe also. My favorite movie I saw in the past year. Also watched Journeyman (great acting) and The Guilty (Danish movie filmed in just 2 rooms; claustrophobic atmosphere and some nice plot developments).

Wanted to go see this one, but didn't make it to the cinema before it wasn't screened anymore. Is it as grim as one can expect from the trailer or press-pictures ?
you're just a victim of yourself

bitewerksMTB

FUNNY GAMES just started. My 2nd viewing; I hate the use of grindcore in the soundtrack at the beginning. I can't remember if it's used more throughout the film. I certainly hope not.

Last weekend it rained a lot so what I remember I watched was: Fulci's DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING; HELL OR HIGH WATER; THE FINAL TERROR; and 68 KILL.  

aububs

i hated hell or high water. 68 kill was ok.

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 15, 2018, 10:05:24 PM
FUNNY GAMES just started. My 2nd viewing; I hate the use of grindcore in the soundtrack at the beginning. I can't remember if it's used more throughout the film. I certainly hope not.

think that's naked city. don't think it's used again.

i just watched this

it's kind of slow moving but i recommend it if you want to see nic cage out of his gourd on coke and lsd tearing people limb from limb. p good.