Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I'm hoping we'll get an announcement one of these days that a new transfer of the fully uncut MY BLOODY VALENTINE  is underway & will be released in time for the stupid holiday. That footage may be some of the best, if not, the best ever to be 'found'. Usually, it's only a quick second or two but not so with MBV!

I just picked up Mondo Macabro's new release of WHO CAN KILL A CHILD?. Really looking forward to watching it again. It's probably one of my very favorite Spanish films.

DSOL

Night School - pretty shitty for being a so called "80's cult classic" no real gore, the kill scenes were meh except when a decapitated what thrown into a giant fish tank and landed on a turtles head, that amused me

Prowler - since Night School was bust and I needed some gore, threw on this classic.

1990: The Bronx Warriors] - love this movie. I watched it at least 5/6 times a year. love the attempt to try and cross The Warriors, Mad Max and Escape From New York into one film
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Deadpriest

My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

DSOL

martialgodmask

Quote from: martialgodmask on May 24, 2018, 07:29:20 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 23, 2018, 04:18:24 PM
Last night was Ben Young's Hounds of Love from last year. My friend has been wanting to watch it for months and even though I was pushing to show him Possession this won out. let me say this first, if you're gonna watch it stop reading now. Go into it as blind as possible.

I went into it without knowing anything about it and I'm grateful for that. This movie had my gut in a tight knot after the first twenty minutes or so which did not let up until the bitter end. The way things unfold I really did not know how it would all end which great. It's been a long time since I've been actually surprised by a story.

Highest recommendation! The movie kills it in every department: the acting is A+, the script is minimal and well written, the score and the soundtrack are fucking great, it looks beautiful and the pacing is perfect. It was really great to watch a competently made film instead of the usual schlock i watch.

Thank you, this is now high on my list to see. I only vaguely recognise the name so it had otherwise passed me by.

DLJ - Snowtown is also excellent and will need another viewing soon.

Following the above, watched Hounds of Love yesterday and it is indeed very very good. It reminded me of Prisoners but more raw and low-key. Not sure it's as good as Snowtown, but still refreshingly brilliant.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: DSOL on June 04, 2018, 03:32:30 PM
John Carpenter's The Thing- still one of my favorites

despite its imperfections, I don't think this movie could ever receive enough praise. one of the all-time best. I watch it every year when we get our first snowfall.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 04, 2018, 11:21:28 PM
Quote from: DSOL on June 04, 2018, 03:32:30 PM
John Carpenter's The Thing- still one of my favorites

despite its imperfections, I don't think this movie could ever receive enough praise. one of the all-time best. I watch it every year when we get our first snowfall.

couldn't agree more

DSOL

bitewerksMTB

Bill Lustig has announced that the original 16mm camera negative has been found for MANIAC & it is currently being scanned in 4K for an October release!

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 10, 2018, 09:31:37 PM
Bill Lustig has announced that the original 16mm camera negative has been found for MANIAC & it is currently being scanned in 4K for an October release!

Marvelous good news !

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: DSOL on June 08, 2018, 05:46:19 PM
the Halloween trailer looks very promising

It did, didn't it? I've given up horror movies almost completely since at least the late 90's (the only one I've seen in the past five years was Cabin in the Woods), but I'll make sure to check this out.

There will be fanservice and what-not, but if they do things right, that will be a bonus rather than an embarrassment.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

DSOL

Quote from: Stoa on June 11, 2018, 10:03:02 AM
Quote from: DSOL on June 08, 2018, 05:46:19 PM
the Halloween trailer looks very promising

It did, didn't it? I've given up horror movies almost completely since at least the late 90's (the only one I've seen in the past five years was Cabin in the Woods), but I'll make sure to check this out.

There will be fanservice and what-not, but if they do things right, that will be a bonus rather than an embarrassment.

based on what I've read about the plot and where the story picks up, I have real high hopes for it. I have a feeling this movie is going to basically close out the story line.

DSOL

The Void- I love this movie. any movie that is able to mash Hellraiser and The Thing without coming off that wonky is a huge for me. still need to pick it up on Blu Ray before Netflix takes it off

THE RITA HN

During my semi-usual prowling around the internet trying to find more footage of Laurence Olivier's MACBETH featuring Vivien Leigh, I finally watched the 1948 Welles' version and got absolutely floored.  Maybe one of most dark and atmospheric movie of all time with cinematographer John L. Russell (PSYCHO) at the helm.  You can see how even Bava got a ton of reference from it, etc.
If you haven't already watched it, just watch the introduction for a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_I36qHDts

Would be a heavy theatre double-bill with Polanski's version.

BUT ALSO
came across this incredibly dark MACBETH Russian animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfnUq2_0FOY

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: online prowler on June 11, 2018, 02:34:09 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 10, 2018, 09:31:37 PM

Marvelous good news !

No one has seen the 16mm orig. neg. of Maniac. It was blown up to 35mm for theatrical prints so the new transfer is going to be a huge difference.

I received Arrow's new release of Last House on the Left today. I mainly wanted it for the book written by Stephen Thrower.

Next week (the 22nd, I think?), Severin will start the ordering for Combat Shock. It's limited to 2000 copies & there will be no standard edition due to "contractual" reasons.  Severin is also releasing The Changeling in August. There's a UK release that is coming soon , I think, which will have all the same extras, etc. as the US release.

Watched PETS last night. From Vinegar Syndrome; obscure drive-in exploitation from 1973. Kind of tame (good bit of nudity & sort of fetishy) but the ending pays off as a textbook example of misogynistic, toxic masculinity.