Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

last night was 4 movies projected in a row in independent movie theater. Starting with Vanishing Point, The Wickerman and followed by Purple Rain and Invasion U.S.A. Starting 22:00 and continuing until morning. It was organized by local movie club, and free of charge.

Vanishing Point, being movie subject to re-make not too long ago, original from 1971 I had never seen, but is pretty much perfect car movie. Tits, drugs, rebellion, fast cars, fast police chases and nasty ending which is kind of unexpected, when beginning of film kind of suggests otherwise.

The Wickerman, another movie where exists re-make which is like limp cock compared to the bizarre atmosphere of the original. And I have to confess, that I had never seen this, and it was the main reason to go to fest. All the expectations, knowing what kind of importance this cult movie has for a lot of people, just had made me hesitate to watch it. Don't know exactly why. I do have the soundtrack LP, which is very good apocalyptic folk tunes. And the music indeed is one of the key elements which carry the movie. Of course is the heathen rituals, sexual energy, crude settings of movie as opposed to that Nicolas Cage visiting matriarchal fantasy fields. When mayday rituals are about to start, you catch the violin melody used by Blood Axis. And no need to remind about Current 93's praise about influence of this music. It is very special horror movie, when nothing happens at night. Nothing is dark. Nothing is cliche really. The horror element is probably more about confusion of utterly different culture of this scottish island and blatant sexual deviance insulting the christian main character. And the mass-hysteria like group singing of folk songs oozing phallic rituals. But what the hell I write about it? There are probably books and meetings about this movie, so web is full of it. But if you are as foolish as myself, thinking soundtrack LP and vague knowledge of storyline and ideas and long ago seen re-make will do it, fuck that. Check out this original movie as soon as it's possible. It will also have some pointers about whole Apocalyptic Folk thing.

And I must say, that even being the small independent theater, and I basically have about better conditions to watch films at home (half smaller screen, yet half smaller room, probably heavier sound system compared to space), there is a feeling about actual cinema experience and I'll make sure to get myself visit here more. It's been probably nearly 10 years when used to go into this theater to see many classics and then relatively new movies a'la Tokyo Fist, Bullet In The Head, and so on, which would never be showed in big theater chains. In january they'll run complete Herzog documentary series, and perhaps interest of some Finns outside Lahti could be Juhan Av Grann UFO documentary series with man himself introducing every movie by himself! Juhan Av Grann is infamous Finnish freemason, conspiracy theorist and documentary director. In early 90's he did 3 ufo documents which collected awards around the world.  
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

MT

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 12, 2010, 10:13:26 AM
..and perhaps interest of some Finns outside Lahti could be Juhan Av Grann UFO documentary series with man himself introducing every movie by himself! Juhan Av Grann is infamous Finnish freemason, conspiracy theorist and documentary director. In early 90's he did 3 ufo documents which collected awards around the world.  
That sounds awesome! I recently found myself wondering what the hell happened to JAG, he kinda disappeared from publicity. Perhaps when the whole X-files UFO trend vanished so did him...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: theotherjohn on December 12, 2010, 12:50:28 PM
I'm disappointed you didn't have anything to say about Purple Rain...

Well, I though Prince is little too brutal for me and I only watched two first films before going for couple of beers...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: theotherjohn on December 05, 2010, 08:32:59 PM
Watched the classic Russian war film Idi i smotri (aka Come And See) yesterday for the first time. Utterly bleak and highly recommended if you haven't seen it before.

Indeed. I guess this is the best war movie ever.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on December 12, 2010, 03:11:53 PM
Quote from: theotherjohn on December 05, 2010, 08:32:59 PM
Watched the classic Russian war film Idi i smotri (aka Come And See) yesterday for the first time. Utterly bleak and highly recommended if you haven't seen it before.

Indeed. I guess this is the best war movie ever.

I remember the first time I saw it, on television watching with a friend, we both had to go out the backyard for a breath of air. And he's Russian. Thoroughly gruelling. Must get a copy, I'm sure there's sampling opportunities to be had as well.
Shikata ga nai.

GEWALTMONOPOL

I'm not denying Come and See is top notch but considering all the great war films around is it really worthy of the titel "the best war movie ever"? There are so many different takes and perspectives within the genre that appointing just one film as the greatest should be impossible.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

bitewerksMTB

I think I have a dvd-r of COME AND SEE & did not think it was anything like people are describing. Could be I'm remembering something else.. Is there a part where a village is gathered up & burned inside a barn?

I like KELLY'S HEROES & THE DIRTY DOZEN for war flix.

THE RITA HN

favorite war films right now:
BATTLEGROUND (1949) "A squad of the 101st Airborne Division copes with being trapped in the besieged city of Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge."
THE SILENT ENEMY (1958)  "In the Mediterranean in 1941 the Italians start using underwater chariots to mine the undersides of allied ships. Explosives expert Lionel Crabbe arrives in Gibralter to organise defences, but finds only two British divers available to help him. Even more worrying, it seems likely that the Italians are secretly using neutral Spain across the bay as their key base."
THE FROGMEN (1951)
THE CRUEL SEA (1953)
ACTION IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC (1943)

tiny_tove

The iron cross by sam pekinpah is brilliant.
So it was Tora! Tora! Tora! by Kinji Fukusaku
I also enjoyed a lot U-Boot 96  by Wolfgang Petersen and Gillo Pontecorvo's colonial masterpiece La battaglia di Algeri (the battle of Algeri), political movie regarding the Algerian uprising against French colonialism.

There are many war propaganda movies (feature films not documentaries) that should be checked out as well, although less spectacular than those I have just mentioned.

Alcazar  by Augusto Genina
Giarabub by Goffredo Alessandrini
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 13, 2010, 09:47:38 PM
I think I have a dvd-r of COME AND SEE & did not think it was anything like people are describing. Could be I'm remembering something else.. Is there a part where a village is gathered up & burned inside a barn?

That's the one. I expected more from it as well after all the people raving about it since the 80's. It's good but there's so much out there that matches and indeed exceeds it.

One example is Generation Kill. Has anyone managed to give a closer account of the actual people involved in war than that? If there is then let me know. Generation Kill is truly outstanding in the genre.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

UGRA

Come and See is indeed awesome - my favorite war movie for sure. Intense and exhaustive.
Still about war movies, I recently watched Andrzej Wajda´s Katyn and it was nice too.

Just re-watched Gaspar Noe´s "I Stand Alone" last weekend. It´s just perfect for me. Seems like the whole movie could be sampled...?
Haven´t seen "Into the Void", his latest movie, yet.

post-morten

Quote from: UGRA on December 15, 2010, 05:03:41 AM
Just re-watched Gaspar Noe´s "I Stand Alone" last weekend. It´s just perfect for me. Seems like the whole movie could be sampled...?
Haven´t seen "Into the Void", his latest movie, yet.

I saw Enter the Void recently. It's hard to make up my mind whether I liked it or lot, but it's an extravagant visual trip for sure, albeit an overly long one. Set in Tokyo, it portraits the gradual downfall of an orphaned brother-sister pair, who succumb in the city's seedy underworld of drugs and sleaze. Given Noe is the director, obviously it features fair shares of sex and violence. Also, being a father myself, it was truly painful watching the fate of these kids. On the upside was the soundtrack, featuring stellar acts such as TG, Coil, and our bro' BJ Nilsen teamed up with Stillupsteypa. If I would dare to compare it to any other movie, it shared many themes with Requiem For a Dream.

Edit: Just realized the title is actually Enter the Void, nothing else.

ConcreteMascara

I was hoping to see "Into The Void" during the Danger After Dark in Philly but missed it. I've read such mixed reviews of it I wasn't sure if I was prepared to sit through 3 hours of something I might hate.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

kettu

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 16, 2010, 01:18:35 AM
KEN PARK is largely useless.

your just old and dont get the young people, unlike larry.
that one was better than bully, I think. my remembrance is a little hazy.

maybe ill say something about in to the void too because everybody is buzzing about it. it was ok, I liked only one bit in the hallucinations, when it turned all skeletal.
too long/tedious to praise as a masterpiece or anything. no other complaints really it just wasnt mindblowing as some suggest.