Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

Oh yeah. The 3rd film touches on Sutcliffe after he's caught.

Anyone checked out 7 DAYS?

A.R.GH

I watched "The road"(2009) a couple of days ago
bleaker than I expected, one of the best "end of the world" movies i've seen thus far

pontifx

Quote from: A.R.GH on October 09, 2010, 08:49:24 PM
I watched "The road"(2009) a couple of days ago
bleaker than I expected, one of the best "end of the world" movies i've seen thus far

based on the book by mccarthy?

fantastic book. recommendation.

FreakAnimalFinland

yeah, based on book. Pretty good movies. Nothing gets explained. And it offers no hope. Just apocalyptic misery.

Watched celebrated movie Squid & Whale. Perhaps drama comedy? It is humoristic, yet no slapstick humor. You basically just get humor out of it if you like little boys smearing their school with cum, akward teenage sex, problems of pretentious artists. Sleaze of teacher/student erotic affair. And so on. It's not something like "Happiness" for example, nothing so harsh and offensive, but good writing and credible character.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

A.R.GH

yeah! I automatically get interestd in reading the book, good to have some opinions on that

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 07, 2010, 10:22:39 PMbefore the film itself, saw trailer of Harry Brown (2009). Michael Caine as old vigilante with payback to all criminal street trash. Seemed good based on trailer, and due theme that never gets old. Got to see where to get it..

Rented it finally. Good film. White thrash drug dealing thugs. Make mess for too long. Old veteran goes into killing mode. It says "action/drama" on back, but the action is all pretty realistic. No bullshit kung-fu fights and slow motion bullet dodging. Just quick kills with small handgun or knife.
It seems like thing that would be either happening as we speak, or to be common phenomena in decayed urban neighborhoods of western cities.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

RyanWreck

Quote from: tiny_tove on April 20, 2010, 12:16:59 PM
Cruising

Love this movie. It was actually one of the first crime dramas I ever seen, before Silence of the Lambs and a million others. The dark vibe carried through-out isn't seen in many movies anymore, the only other one I can think of that did this well is Seven which isn't that great of a movie. The ending wasn't clear to me until I had a chance to read the book some 10 years after seeing this movie for the first time.

You also mentioned Hubley's Hardcore, which is pretty good. Have you seen Vice Squad? Better than all of the other attempts at the same thing.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on October 17, 2010, 05:34:28 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 07, 2010, 10:22:39 PMbefore the film itself, saw trailer of Harry Brown (2009). Michael Caine as old vigilante with payback to all criminal street trash. Seemed good based on trailer, and due theme that never gets old. Got to see where to get it..

Rented it finally. Good film. White thrash drug dealing thugs. Make mess for too long. Old veteran goes into killing mode. It says "action/drama" on back, but the action is all pretty realistic. No bullshit kung-fu fights and slow motion bullet dodging. Just quick kills with small handgun or knife.
It seems like thing that would be either happening as we speak, or to be common phenomena in decayed urban neighborhoods of western cities.

I would describe it as a British kitchen sink take on Death Wish. Not 100% convincing but definitely good enough. Long retired marine Harry Brown (Michael Caine) is a lonely old man with a boring life on a rough council estate somewhere in London. When walking home pissed from the pub one night he's attacked by members of the chav gang who are terrorising the area and he acts on pure and very unexpected instinct. It kicks off from there. Where Charles Bronson was tough and always on top, Caine is a tired, old and scared man who stumbles on an unexpected opportunity and runs with it. This film is not a masterpiece but well worth watching. I have fantasized about doing what Harry does many times!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

bitewerksMTB

"Have you seen Vice Squad?"

Blink, motherfucker, and you'll die in the dark!

ConcreteMascara

Watched Scanners again twice this week. Still holds up well and puts the latest Cronenberg films to shame. Also I wish Michael Ironside was in more movies. His hard-ass characters always steal the show.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

A.R.GH

3 días (stupidly "translated" to english as "Before the fall"...) (2008)
Spanish apocalyptic movie, 72 hours for the impact with the earth, a serial killer gets in the middle, everyone get's fucked. Good.

jake

Amer: Sold (to me anyways) as a Giallo homage and it definitely has that element, but far artier and esoteric. I loved the non-Giallo beginning: extremely sparse dialogue focus on sound. Very moody. Thought the last few minutes were unnecessary; wish it would have ended after the first "kill". Well worth the time/effort.
Curious what others thought of it. My wife hated it. 

ConcreteMascara

Saw Amer over the summer, really enjoyed it. I especially liked the use of colour in the first part and the use of sound in the last. I felt like the film was an exercise in minimalism and atmosphere and it really pulled it off. Been trying to find it on DVD to no avail.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

narcolepsia

was reading U-Bahn issue where there is an article with some info and screenshots of the COUP DE GRACE FILMS..were this ever released publically ? has anyone here seen them ? very curious about these..

heretogo

Patti Smith: Dream of Life. Found this in the supermarket for cheap. Nice mix of the poetic (which is obviously her forte) and the everyday. Not a very focused film but considering the subject I wouldn't expect such.  As far as rock'n'roll documentaries go this one was pretty special. I saw her performing a few years ago in Helsinki and it was one of the best rock shows I can recall. She's probably the most charismatic performer I've ever seen, just amazing. There were some middle-aged women in front of me that just went completely apeshit from the force of the show, quite an astounding moment actually.