Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyestrain

Watched, for the first time ever, these last two days, Krzysztof Kieślowsk's Three Colors trilogy. Some of the best filmmaking I've seen in a very, very long time.

They're currently all on Hulu along with Kieślowsk's The Scar, Blind Chance, A Short Film About Killing, The Double Life of Véronique, A Short Film About Love, Camera Buff and No End. Not sure if it's a limited thing or what. It's part of Criterion Collection's "free festival" — whatever that means — so it seems smart to just gobble it all up before it disappears.

cr

Belle de Jour ( Luis Buñuel)
Managed not to watch it for quite some time, but last weekend was right place and right time. And I have to say it's a great movie for this time and age.

Next was a newer one:  'Miss Violence' - everything  good that was said about it, is propably true, at least for my taste.

online prowler

Todd Haynes - Safe.
1995. Old school meldrama setting with negative atmosphere turned sect. One of the best films I've seen this year.  

Yasujiro Ozu - An Autumn Afternoon
1962. Japanese perfection. True auteur. I higly recommend all his films.

Tetsuya Nakashima - The World Of Kanako
2014. Visual æsthetic thriller. Anti-social family values.

Lucrecia Martel - La Ciénaga
2001. Disintegrating social contexts.

bitewerksMTB

Christmas Eve & Christmas night:

WE ARE STILL HERE- pretty good haunted house with lots of gore by people that had something to do with House of the Devil & Starry Eyes (need to see SE again)
GUN WOMAN- US/Japanese film with lots of blood & nudity but no personality
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD- crap from start to finish
YAKUZA APOCALYPSE- vampire yakuza film I quit half way through

There's a Mythbusters marathon on the Science Channel so I've watched a bunch of those. MB is running for the next 8 days...

I just ordered a cheap copy of the blu-ray of MS .45 which is a film I haven't seen since the first time on rented vhs.

pentd

has this been mentioned?

Talhotblond (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1370889

creepy documentary-comedy that just keeps on goin higher/deeper than expected...
(edit- wrong imdb link corrected)

bitewerksMTB

Gory, creepy crawling parasite double-feature: SHIVERS followed by SLUGS

C601

THE RITA HN

QuoteSHIVERS

Got the steel case Arrow blu-ray edition from a seller in Australia recently.
Had to splurge a little on the film as it's easily one of my all time favorites. 
Masterpiece.

online prowler

Quote from: THE RITA HN on January 03, 2016, 03:17:07 AM
QuoteSHIVERS

Had to splurge a little on the film as it's easily one of my all time favorites.  
Masterpiece.

I recently rewatched this. Hadn't seen it since the VHS hay days. Enjoyable and funny. Caught Bergman and Nykvist this X-mas. PERSONA. Have to say this one, in addition to Bergman's Hour Of The Wolf are his best. Also ravage through Denis' Bastards (Les salauds). Dark implosion. Can recommend that as well. Big fan of actor Michel Subor.

Sven Nykvist Cinematography:

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: THE RITA HN on January 03, 2016, 03:17:07 AM
QuoteSHIVERS

Masterpiece.

I watched a torrent of SHIVERS. I'm pretty sure it was the Arrow transfer. I'd order it if I had an all-reg bd player. Need to pick up THE BROOD soon.

online prowler

Bruno Dumont's 'Lil Quinquin (2014)'.

Surreal crime mini-series marinated in black humour. Highly recommended.

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 04, 2016, 09:55:34 PM
Need to pick up THE BROOD soon.

I torrented this one recently plus Videodrome. Annual rewatch. Hadn't seen Brood in ages. The Brood still holds up quite nice. Great film, Croenberg is coming to rights as a director w an own artistic language. Ace transfer as well.

EDIT: The Brood was just reissued via Criterion. Should be excellent quality.

TS

Cronenberg has several very good on his conscience, body horror! Personal favourites include Shivers, Scanners, Videodrome, and Dead Ringers. Would appreciate tips on other movies with similar themes. Extra orifices and such.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

AXNAAR

Quote from: TS on January 05, 2016, 12:54:08 PM
Cronenberg has several very good on his conscience, body horror! Personal favourites include Shivers, Scanners, Videodrome, and Dead Ringers. Would appreciate tips on other movies with similar themes. Extra orifices and such.

From Beyond has some great body horror! also Society, Street Trash, Basket Case Trilogy, The Thing

TS

Thank you. I've seen, and enjoyed The Thing and From Beyond, but the other ones are unfamiliar. Gonna see Street Trash tonight.
Kropper uten Mellomrom