Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

Andrew McIntosh

Got my copy of the dvd of "Onibaba" today and it's every bit as good as I remembered it. Pure sexual frustration and torment in glorious artistic black and white. "I am a human being!" Quite. Great music soundtrack too.
Shikata ga nai.

algiz

Turbo Kid - Like a comedy/splatter variation of Mad Max - not bad!

monster ripper

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 17, 2015, 11:13:23 AM
Got my copy of the dvd of "Onibaba" today and it's every bit as good as I remembered it. Pure sexual frustration and torment in glorious artistic black and white. "I am a human being!" Quite. Great music soundtrack too.

Have you seen "Kuroneko" by the same director?  Just as good in my opinion, but I do have a fondness for vengeful ghost cat movies.......

Zodiac

I want to recommend 2 really good movies from NETFLIX Originals, one is a documentary but anyway:

BEAST OF NO NATION: about a child soldier in some sub-sahara africa country, who faces all the atrocities of war under the leadship
of a charismatic but (as expected) not too sane commander-in-chief. Beautyful jungle mixes with intense violence and indoctrination
leading finally into a dead end for most of the young people. Based on the book writen by the young boy years later and so based on
a true story (which makes - as we all know - the best stories for the most part).

WINTER ON FIRE: a russian filmmaker witness to the ~90 days of "revolution" on Maidan plaza in Kiev, Ukraine. Without censorship and
utter violent and explosive moments, again fantastic pictures (view from the high a top over the plaze by night while buildings burn,
explosions and shots are fired, for example - complety in HD of course) and a deep look into the minds and hearts of the people fighting
there against the forces of Janukovich. I absolutly recommend this, regardless with whom you choose to side over this matter.
Remember, remember... december.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: monster ripper on November 18, 2015, 03:30:57 AM
Have you seen "Kuroneko" by the same director?  Just as good in my opinion, but I do have a fondness for vengeful ghost cat movies.......

Not yet, "Onibaba" is the only Shindo movie I've seen so far, but going by the synopsis I appreciate the tip and will try to get to see it soon. Thanks.
Shikata ga nai.

Zodiac

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 18, 2015, 02:31:17 PM
Quote from: monster ripper on November 18, 2015, 03:30:57 AM

Not yet, "Onibaba" is the only Shindo movie I've seen so far, but going by the synopsis I appreciate the tip and will try to get to see it soon. Thanks.

Do that. "Onibaba" is a masterpiece. Recommended.
Remember, remember... december.

Sturmfieber

Sympathy for the Underdog (1971): Excellent yakuza movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066806

Last Days Here (2011): Good documentary if you're into the doom metal band Pentagram.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1723126

cr

Right now I'm in the mood for watching "Der Todesking" by Jörg Buttgereit again.

cr

Quote from: AXNAAR on August 21, 2015, 04:07:35 AM
Quote from: cantle on August 21, 2015, 02:55:14 AM
Quote from: AXNAAR on August 20, 2015, 09:40:27 PM
Re-watched the entire This Is England series: This is England film, '86 & '88. At the time they were on telly I wasn't that arsed, which was a huge mistake, as watching them back to back now they stand as a great body of work - some of the storyline's are fucking brutal and genuinely moving stuff. Highly recommend to anyone that hasn't seen them or ignored at the time to watch, good stuff!

How does the '88 serieshold up to you? I thought the Shaun/Smell's half of the storylines to be pretty predicatble and pointless the first time through....
Found that bit fairly predictable also, nowhere near as gripping as the Lol/Combo/Milky/Woody story. Also majority of Banjo, Meggy, Gadget etc was just a bit of light relief between the brutality but '90 will be on soon so I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes it all.

Has anyone already seen 'This is England '90'? Any comments? Quite curious to watch it myself.

cantle

Watched it-  good but I felt it fell short on a few story arcs....

Theodore

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

AXNAAR

I liked '90, very good continuation of the series, some very funny stuff in this one where '88 was lacking esp. Woody & family and Flip & Iggy. I'm glad there wasn't too much tedious 'rave culture' stuff. I didn't like what happened to Combo but glad he's left it open ended for another series.

Andrew McIntosh

Just managed tonight to settle down tonight and enjoy The Silence Of The Lambs. Really got into it.
Shikata ga nai.

cr

THE SOUND OF INSECTS - RECORD OF A MUMMY (PETER LIECHTI, CH 2009)
I'm kind of obsessed by the text "miira ni narumade" by Shimada Masahiko since I first heard about it 15 years ago (if I remember right, it was a festival curated by Otomo Yoshihide). This is a film based upon this novel. In short, it's about going into the woods and commiting suicide from slowly and painfully starving yourself to death. Film itself is OK, not exactly what I imagined it could be. But I'm happy that all the text of the diary is there. Fictional, but based on a true story.