Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

That played last week at the Danger After Dark festival in Philly but I couldn't make it because I was out of town. Definitely looks interesting. Annoyed that I couldn't make it.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

sperm+killing

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on July 21, 2010, 10:54:54 PM
That played last week at the Danger After Dark festival in Philly but I couldn't make it because I was out of town. Definitely looks interesting. Annoyed that I couldn't make it.

I really regret missing that and "Dogtooth". I did get to see the uncut screening of "Enter the Void", but was rather underwhelmed by it. Might give it another chance though when the IFC run happens.

"Harry Brown" mentioned a few pages back was okay, as far as slick exploitation goes. Gets ridiculous as expected, but I liked the focus on intense atmosphere at a few points, like in one extended scene at a drug den. Loudest gun shots I've ever heard in a theater too.

Levas

The child I never was - Nice somewhat arthouse pseudo-documentary about Jürgen Bartsch who'd killed and molested several boys at age 15-20. Dirty movie and not boring. His confessions mixed with re-performed acts of his killings and so on. Felt like reading a lighter version of some Sotos book. Interesting thoughts, view of the world and so on. Homosexuality, lust for blood and corpses and so on. Done really nicely. Recommended.

bitewerksMTB

WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? - Amazing!

Has anyone seen THE RED RIDING TRILOGY? I saw a trailer for the 3 British tv movies soon to get a dvd rel. in the U.S. & they look very promising.

XXX

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 28, 2010, 08:43:21 PM
WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? - Amazing!

Has anyone seen THE RED RIDING TRILOGY? I saw a trailer for the 3 British tv movies soon to get a dvd rel. in the U.S. & they look very promising.

i was lucky enough to catch it at the local art theater played all through for 8 hours. first 2 are great 3rd is dirtiest but a lot of bullshit sentimentality flashbacks at the end.

ConcreteMascara

I don't think Der Untergang (Downfall) has been mentioned before. Watched this again last night. An interesting and mostly objective look at the last week in the Führer's bunker.
[death|trigger|impulse]

GEWALTMONOPOL

Just watched French (don't hold that against it) war film Days of Glory (Indigènes) about the African volunteers who fought for France during WWII. An OK film with enough intrigue not to be braindead and enough battle scenes to keep me interested. Since it's Saturday I broke out the Laphroaig and saluted them all as they died one by one. VIVE LA MORT, VIVE LA GUERRE!

Later today: La Grande Bouffe! Four French (don't hold that aginst them) middle aged and well to do men hole themselves up in a villa where they eat, drink and fuck themselves to death. It'll work well with the traditional Saturday pancakes.

Cheers!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

tisbor

La Grand Bouffe is one of the best movies ever ! 120 Days Of Sodom with self-destruction and food .

GEWALTMONOPOL

I did see the similarities between La Grande Bouffe and 120 Days. Personally I much prefer LGB to Pasolini's film which I always thought was rubbish!

Today I watched a film about envy and its consequences, called Beau Travail, set in the French Foreign Legion. I haven't made my mind up if it's a masterpiece or just plain boring. The menopausal old witch (Claire Denis) who directed it must've rubber herself silly from the sight of the young muscular alpha males in the film because there is a lot of focus on their sweaty naked bodies performing strenuous work. Must have been a breath of fresh air from the wine sipping fags she endures on a daily basis in her line of work. Either way, it ends in both triumph and despair and wasn't a complete waste of my time.

Her latest film White Material about white farmers in Africa has upset a few PC lefty wankers and as such could be worth checking out. It features Isabel Huppert in the lead which doesn't lessen its prospects. More on that later.

bitewerksMTB

Watched THE BURNING last night. Def one of my fave slasher films along with THE PROWLER, NEW YORK RIPPER, PIECES, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, NIGHTMARE, & THE BAY OF BLOOD (need that Bava boxset. Actually, need both).

GEWALTMONOPOL

Having watched VALHALLA RISING yesterday I realise how Beau Travail actually was a waste of my time. VR is, next to Hunger, the best film I've seen this year. Like Apocalypse Now set in viking times. Evil!

ConcreteMascara

Just watched Valhalla Rising. Unfortunately a mediocre torrent/avi file so the image quality was sacrificed a bit. But really, really good. The sound design and building music especially in a few key scenes worked perfectly with the content. Highly recommended.
[death|trigger|impulse]

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

halthan

Watched today "Made In Britain", (again), it´s such a classic. Almost as good as Clockwork Orange (best movie ever made). For finnish ppl i´d recommend "Rumble", weird road movie, including Loiri, T Korpela. Pretty absurd stuff

bitewerksMTB

VALHALLA RISING is the same director as the PUSHER trilogy & BLEEDER, right? Those I liked esp. 3rd PUSHER film & BLEEDER (no U.S. rel. for this film). A review of V.R. I read seemed sort of hit or miss but I'll check it out if my local store has it for rent.

I get to see CENTURION later this month on a HD movie channel. The thing I saw on it def maks it look interesting & pretty violent. Neil Marshall, director of DOG SOLDIERS & THE DESCENT. I like both of those but DOOMSDAY sucked.