Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

Duke Mitchell's Gone With The Pope.

Sassy low-budget US gangster movie from the mid '70s, but unfinished at the time due to director Mitchell's death in 1981. Finally completed in 2009, DVD version avail via Grindhouse. Highly recommended.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQqZKd_72C0

Note to post above... UBUWEB is a GOLDMINE. Currently rewatching Robert Smithson films...

bitewerksMTB

I haven't seen Gone with the Pope but Massacre Mafia Style  is pretty wild, from what I remember. I've thought about ordering the bd. I haven't picked up any of the Grindhouse bd's yet. Ordering both the Cannibal films together would make a nice package.

Free HBO/Cinemax over the weekend: GONE GIRL (ok); EVOLUTION (kind of funny); AS ABOVE, SO BELOW (ugh); A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES (2nd viewing & recently re-read the book. Too bad they changed so much).

Last week, I watched blu's of SOCIETY ( kind of dull & the end has its moments but is kind of silly), WOLFEN (classic '80s),  & SORCERER (fucking awesome!).

AXNAAR

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 23, 2015, 12:09:39 AMLast week, I watched blu's of SOCIETY ( kind of dull & the end has its moments but is kind of silly), WOLFEN (classic '80s),  & SORCERER (fucking awesome!).

Sorcerer is classic! and has probably my favourite Tangerine Dream soundtrack effort (maybe favourite TD ever) - Betrayal! Think it was already mentioned but Wages of Fear that Sorcerer was based on is also quality.

Have to disagree on SOCIETY, one of my favourites after seeing it on late night TV mid 90's as a young teen, watched cos nowt else on and looked funny then comes the final scene and mind was instantly blown/changed! Not sure if it's same fx people as From Beyond and maybe Basket Case sequels now I think of it, but definitely similar with heads sticking out of arses etc - anyone have recommendations for more films with that kind of "Mental Funeral" looking FX?

bitewerksMTB

"...anyone have recommendations for more films with that kind of "Mental Funeral" looking FX?"

STREET TRASH.

Here's the guy who did the sfx on Society: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Mad_George

AXNAAR

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 24, 2015, 12:14:03 AM
"...anyone have recommendations for more films with that kind of "Mental Funeral" looking FX?"

STREET TRASH.

Here's the guy who did the sfx on Society: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Mad_George

Cool that he did FREAKED.

FX in From Beyond was handled by John Carl Buechler who also did a Freddy film (4) - seems all these good FX folks get poached for Freddy!

tiny_tove

Try the bizarre "The Incredible melting man", weird movie with interesting moments.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on June 23, 2015, 12:09:39 AM
I haven't seen Gone with the Pope but Massacre Mafia Style  is pretty wild, from what I remember. I've thought about ordering the bd. I haven't picked up any of the Grindhouse bd's yet. Ordering both the Cannibal films together would make a nice package.

Free HBO/Cinemax over the weekend: GONE GIRL (ok); EVOLUTION (kind of funny); AS ABOVE, SO BELOW (ugh); A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES (2nd viewing & recently re-read the book. Too bad they changed so much).

Last week, I watched blu's of SOCIETY ( kind of dull & the end has its moments but is kind of silly), WOLFEN (classic '80s),  & SORCERER (fucking awesome!).

Massacre Mafia Style aka The Executioner is ace as well! Haven't seen that in ages, need to do a keen rewatch asap over here of that title. Sorcerer is a remake of the French film The Wages of Fear ('53) - isn't it? I mean so at least.... Can recommend that as well... be sure to check out the Criterion version. Haven't checked out the Friedkin version. Its now duely noted on my watch list.

Society.... I am a big fan of Yuzna films. In my book, its an ace film. Perfect combo of frontier horror, black comendy and bizarrity. His films often carry that stench, just look at Re-animator 1 and 2 for instance. But there is a time and a place for everything. For me, its a part of my vhs" film education" from back in the day when Norwegian soliders came from Lebanon with shitloads of arabic bootleg films.... like 6th or tenth grade generations..... colors totally blurred and saturated... and on the worst examples - ... barely no sound. Thinking about it... there was also an extensive black market for this in Scandinavia which we also profited from. I think we got Wolfen from the last mentioned..... I just remember the title as a early '80s flick, but not the movie. Eh! I should take a gander at that one as well. Thanx for the reminder! Have 'Gone Girl' stored, biut haven't seen it yet. Have to admit I am positive about it from trailers, but also watching it to experience the technical side of filmmaking - since Fincher is one of the US directors with a better technical grew. Usually his works are prestine in that department.

AXNAAR

Quote from: tiny_tove on June 24, 2015, 09:31:33 AM
Try the bizarre "The Incredible melting man", weird movie with interesting moments.

This has been on my to watch list for some time!
STREET TRASH is a classic, long been a fan! classic toilet scene and also 1st time I ever saw a human bone dagger.

Been watching WAYWARD PINES and it's ace - just done with 5th episode and shit just hit the fan. Had heard it described as The Prisoner meets Twin Peaks which is definitely accurate for the first few episodes.

online prowler

Quote from: AXNAAR on June 24, 2015, 11:56:18 PM
human bone dagger

Is my mind playing tricks on me.... wheren't there one in the Evil Dead film series?

On the note of TV shows... Just caught the first episode of True Detective season 2. Grittier narrative with L.A. Noir feel. Have potential.

Sturmfieber

Let's see... movies I watched fairly recently that come to mind:

Repo Man (hadn't seen this one in years)
Don (pretty good Indian movie from the late '70s about a crime boss)
San Babila Ore 20 (I think someone mentioned this one somewhere in this thread. Thanks to whoever mentioned it!)

Kuwait Connection (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477924) was quite good.

AXNAAR

Quote from: online prowler on June 25, 2015, 03:36:25 AM
Quote from: AXNAAR on June 24, 2015, 11:56:18 PM
human bone dagger

Is my mind playing tricks on me.... wheren't there one in the Evil Dead film series?

Aye, maybe in Army of Darkness?

Recently watched DUST DEVIL - great horror set in Africa about a demon that goes around seducing and having his occult murderous way with MILF types then turning into dust and vanishing. The husband of one such wife attempts to hunt him down for a showdown with the help of a sweaty old cop. Really great film that made me feel sweaty as I watched it - nice climax and decent gore/occult stuff.

Also watched Fellini's Casanova - great and weird arty romp with ace soundtrack and loads of headscratching scenes that have as much to do with Benny Hill as any sort of high-art. Highly recommend this and the Fellini I'M A BORN LIAR documentary, both well worth a watch.

online prowler

Revisited WOLFEN the other day after B.W. listed it here. Enjoyed that one a lot - especially the visual effects. Thanx for scrapping at the dark recesses of my memory BW!

Fellini made a good portion of classic films. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing either of the mentioned above, so will notch both of onto my watch list. Dust Devil is highly recommended as well. If I remember correctly its made by Richard Stanley who did Hardware? His docu The Secret Glory is ace by the way!

In regards to human bone dagger I think you might be correct. On a second note.. I saw this online today in conjunction w Raimi's upcoming TV show "Ash vs Evil Dead".

AXNAAR

HARDWARE is also great and makes sense it's same director, both having the same feeling of stuffiness and weird atmosphere.

I'm yet to finish WOLFEN, knackered last time having watched VAMPIRE'S KISS but what I did see looked class and bound to watch again. Would highly recommend VAMPIRE'S KISS - very funny!

Happened to watch SILVER BULLET around the same time, really odd one about a wheelchair bound boy that becomes a Werewolf hunter, strange one as it lacks the humour of something like The Monster Squad with Cory Haim playing it dead straight but the addition of Gary Busey, Everette McGill as the priest, a souped-up wheelchair and a Werewolf makes it worthwhile and funny in places.

Looking forward to ASH vs EVIL DEAD! anyone know more about the story?