Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collapsedhole

tiny_tove

faccia a faccia has one of the best western ost ever. "the hunt" piece is umbeliavable, Morricone was god.

actor Volontè was one of the best Italian actor, more known for his -excellent - political movies, but here he is just perfect.

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ConcreteMascara

saw "It Follows" last night. I really liked it, pretty high tension the entire time. wasn't super predictable either. the actual gore is sparing but good when it happens. the soundtrack is a pretty excellent mix of '80s, chiptune and modern horror score all mixed together. unfortunately the premise is ripe for a sequel which is almost inevitable :(
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Levas

When talking about westerns, has anyone seen "The Dark Valley" yet? It seemed this movie got quite a lot of praise, being "one of the best westerns in a last decade" etc.
Also trying to cover the holes in movies from last year that were not seen. At the moment the highlights are "Gone Girl" (no surprise here I guess) and "Starry Eyes" = neat indie horror flick. Recommended

bitewerksMTB

Blue Underground will be releasing MAN, PRIDE, & VENGEANCE soon. I've never seen it. Also, Arrow has released DAY OF ANGER with Lee Van Cleef & I read Arrow is doing CEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES soon (Great title, I don't know anything about the movie).

I've never seen "Faccia a Faccia" (Face to Face) but have read nothing but good things about it. I'm surprised there has not been a US release for it. I'm not sure I've seen a UK release either.

CUT-THROATS NINE is worth tracking down as it's almost like a splatter film. And THE GREAT SILENCE is excellent.

THE RITA HN

QuoteCEMETERY WITHOUT CROSSES soon (Great title, I don't know anything about the movie).

One of the best.  Keith, you might remember it as THE ROPE AND THE COLT?
Argento wrote it back when he still had talent and Scott Walker sings the title song[!].

bitewerksMTB

Never heard of THE ROPE & THE COLT. Another good title. I do remember having one of those cheap western dvds & Argento had something to do with it. I remember a stalking scene in foggy woods...?

I've got blu's for MARK OF THE DEVIL, FAIRY IN A CAGE, & BEYOND OUTRAGE waiting to be watched this weekend.

bitewerksMTB

MARK OF THE DEVIL- Arrow's new blu/dvd release is very nice. I didn't remember much from the film other than it moves kind of slow & has torture. If you're interested in it, this is the release to own. It comes with double-sided artwork along with a very nice illustrated booklet. For the film, it does move slow & has torture, which, is very well done. I especially like the scenes of the guy getting water tortured in the closet. One of the extras is a documentary about the rise of British horror (M.O.T.D. was directed by a Brit). There's some good stuff in it concerning MOTD along with films by Pete Walker & Norman J. Warren (I want to see Inseminoid & Satan's Slave).

BEYOND OUTRAGE- It looks like gun control isn't working for Japan because yakuza families are shooting the living hell out of each other. Not quite as brutal as the first film, OUTRAGE, but it is good.

cr

Quote from: Levas on April 03, 2015, 09:03:33 AM
When talking about westerns, has anyone seen "The Dark Valley" yet? It seemed this movie got quite a lot of praise, being "one of the best westerns in a last decade" etc.

I've seen it some weeks ago and I liked it.  As the title says it plays in a really dark valley. A lone rider takes grim revenge,  Primae noctis etc. (Won't mention anything more - just find out for yourself)
As  for being 'one of the best westerns...' - I don't know, I'm no expert in contemporary westerns. The one I liked most in the last couple years was definitely "The Proposition".

Levas

Yeah, it's a very good movie. I don't know how to evaluate westerns. they are either interesting or boring so I'm not sure if this is one of the best lately or not, but truly good think to watch. A few other movies that were enjoyable lately -
Blue Ruin - interesting thriller, slightly similar to Coen brothers' production, but perhaps more artsy, with more silent parts, somehow depressive, slow and nice.
Also seen the movie that everyone was crazy about - The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's ok, not boring, costume comedy/drama. Monty Pyton-ish.
Deliver us from Evil is an ok horror about possession. I think in this theme, this was the best from last year? Others like Grace or The Devil's Hand seemed much weaker.
Shock Value started as extremely stupid comedy, but later went on to be quite ok horror/black comedy. And also finished Extraterrestrial today, which you should just skip

online prowler

Saw Blue Ruin a while back. Interesting independant revenge flick that crosses into art house territory. Note taken on westerns. I registered a while back that there was movement in the Arrow and Blue Underground camps. Thanx for the reminder! KITANO: You can never go wrong w the emperor of violence!

This week: Hard to be a god (2013). Russian sci-fi/period film that visually can be described as a blend of Tarr and Tarkovsky's cinema. Bizarre, narcotic and fecal. Recommended. Director: Aleksei German.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA

martialgodmask

Quote from: online prowler on February 23, 2015, 11:06:04 PM
martialgodmask .... you boiled it quite well down to purest essence.

So I managed to track this down last night and I was not let down by it. It's pretty gloomy, not quite as brutal as I had been led to believe but still packed a decent punch with a nice cold futile ending. I'd read that it strays a little too far into cliche with its representation of minority traffickers but actually thought it steered clear enough of charicature. If anything, the British characters seemed a little more comic though not to the point of distraction.

Great soundtrack and great visuals and not completely made up of the typical British cast which was nice also.

online prowler

Quote from: martialgodmask on April 15, 2015, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: online prowler on February 23, 2015, 11:06:04 PM
martialgodmask .... you boiled it quite well down to purest essence.

So I managed to track this down last night and I was not let down by it. It's pretty gloomy, not quite as brutal as I had been led to believe but still packed a decent punch with a nice cold futile ending. I'd read that it strays a little too far into cliche with its representation of minority traffickers but actually thought it steered clear enough of charicature. If anything, the British characters seemed a little more comic though not to the point of distraction.

Great soundtrack and great visuals and not completely made up of the typical British cast which was nice also.

Thanx for the info MGM. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but looking forward it. Interesting to hear they have added new blood to the cast. Movies like this for me often works the best without any famous lead / supporting hollywood jesters.

algiz

The Rambler - Partly surrealistic roadmovie with some nice elements