Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

online prowler

Good news!

Acclaimed writers and directors Jörg Buttgereit, Andreas Marschall, Michal Kosakowski are back behind the camera with a supreme feature film, controversial, mystical and disturbing. With a "fil rouge" of old images of Berlin scariest architecture, the film is built around three tales. The first episode, tells the story of a young girl who lives alone with her guinea pig in a dirty apartment in Berlin... is she alone? In the bedroom lies a man, bound and gagged... The second episode tells about a powerful "if-only" scenario in which a young deaf-mute couple is attacked by a group of hooligans. However, they are in possession of a mysterious talisman that could help them... In the last episode, a man stumbles upon a secret sex club that promises the ultimate sexual experience by using a drug made from the roots of the legendary Mandragora plant. The ecstatic experiences have horrific side effects...

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/01/german-angst-trailer-delivers-love-sex-and-death.html

TRAILER included in link above.

online prowler

My darling clementine (1946)

Director: John Ford.
Genre: Western.

Possibly one of the best westerns I have seen. Both gritty and tender with a hint of sardonic humour. Excellent cinematography, noir lightning, editing. Brilliant acting and fluid story telling. Iconic filmmaking.

If you check it out, keep a close look at image compositions and how one scene disolves to the next.

Criterion just reissued it before X-mas. Trailer here: http://www.criterion.com/films/28570-my-darling-clementine?q=autocomplete

... Also watched Monte Hellman's ('Two-lane bricktop' + 'Cockfighter') westerns 'The Shooting' and 'Ride In The Whirlwind'. Recommended watch as well. Both from '66.  

cr

Audition - Takashi Miike
Don't know why but this one was waiting for years in my shelves, bought it as a box set along with Visitor Q and Izo. It's a great movie! Most of you already know it for sure. I like that the first parts of the film are quiet and calming and then the violence slowly starts...

THE RITA HN

QuoteMy darling clementine (1946)

If you are a fan, I can't recommend enough Hawk's RED RIVER (which also recently came out on Criterion).

In regards to John Ford, my favorite have got to be FORT APACHE.  Ending is total oblivion.

Related - Fuck, if you told me 15 years ago I'd be spending the $$ on one of the obsessed GONE WITH THE WIND box sets I'd be baffled.

tiny_tove

Quote from: martialgodmask on February 08, 2015, 01:28:38 AM
Birdman. Fantastic.

Totally agree... Innarritu confirm himself one of the best directors around and Michael Keaton (who has never been one of my faves) is just perfect.
It somehow made me think of a surreal "The wrestler" although the message is pretty different...
Better than any motivational...

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

online prowler

Quote from: THE RITA HN on February 09, 2015, 03:54:43 AM
QuoteMy darling clementine (1946)

If you are a fan, I can't recommend enough Hawk's RED RIVER (which also recently came out on Criterion).

In regards to John Ford, my favorite have got to be FORT APACHE.  Ending is total oblivion.

Related - Fuck, if you told me 15 years ago I'd be spending the $$ on one of the obsessed GONE WITH THE WIND box sets I'd be baffled.

Thanx!

Red River is pure Hawk's classic. Too bad he quit the films and locked himself up in Vegas. Fort Apache I haven't seen since I was a kid. Fun you mentioned it, I just put it up on my watch list. Remember that as pretty depressing, but my perspective 30 something years ago is probably different from today... GONE WITH THE WIND! My first reaction is that you should be ashamed of yourself, then again I am probably missing out on something. Wasn't this one of the more costlier 70mm films besides Laurence of Arabia? Douglas Sirk dramas up for rewatch soon here.... On Birdman.... This have potential. Haven't seen the whole flick yet. Won't say anymore then...

martialgodmask

Quote from: tiny_tove on February 09, 2015, 09:19:12 AM
Quote from: martialgodmask on February 08, 2015, 01:28:38 AM
Birdman. Fantastic.

Totally agree... Innarritu confirm himself one of the best directors around and Michael Keaton (who has never been one of my faves) is just perfect.
It somehow made me think of a surreal "The wrestler" although the message is pretty different...
Better than any motivational...

Yes I can see where you're coming from and agreed on Keaton, absolutely bang on.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night. My instincts were right. It's crap. My colleagues didn't appreciate my review.

THE RITA HN

QuoteGONE WITH THE WIND! My first reaction is that you should be ashamed of yourself, then again I am probably missing out on something.

the abstract romanticism of the civil war, clark gable (always rules to watch him in fine, no bullshit form - like with Jean Harlow in RED DUST), and of course - the goddess VIVIEN LEIGH (I just got back from touring the old Bird Cage brothel and Boot Hill Graveyard in Arizona; vivid to contemplate not just the lives of the prostitutes, but of the dolled up / almost abstract southern belles as well). 

THE RITA HN

Quote'The Shooting' and 'Ride In The Whirlwind'
HAUNTING westerns.

We had Millie Perkins up in Vancouver for a screening of THE WITCH WHO CAME FROM THE SEA.
One of my most treasured personal autographs.  It was torture staring into those eyes, even now.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: THE RITA HN on February 10, 2015, 01:40:23 AM
QuoteGONE WITH THE WIND! My first reaction is that you should be ashamed of yourself, then again I am probably missing out on something.

the abstract romanticism of the civil war, clark gable (always rules to watch him in fine, no bullshit form - like with Jean Harlow in RED DUST), and of course - the goddess VIVIEN LEIGH (I just got back from touring the old Bird Cage brothel and Boot Hill Graveyard in Arizona; vivid to contemplate not just the lives of the prostitutes, but of the dolled up / almost abstract southern belles as well). 

There are mammoth scenes of destruction and devastiation in Gone With The Wind which made me pay attention initially. Also Vivien Leigh's character, not least her push/pull relationship with Gable, shows traits of NPD which are interesting. There's more to this film than just costumes and soppy love stories.

OF TOPIC: Sam, forgive me but I lost your last email. Could you email me again?
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

cr

Schramm - Jörg Buttgereit
Great! Not much more to say and surely needs no introduction here.

Related question: The quotation in the beginning of the film is from Carl Panzram ("Today I am dirty, but tomorrow I'll be just dirt") . Is the movie with James Woods as Panzram (Killer: A journal of murder) worth watching?

acsenger

I liked Coherence quite a lot. I don't think it's been mentioned here, so: a small group of friends come together for dinner at the house of one of the couples, and meanwhile a meteor is passing Earth by. Suddenly there's a blackout and strange things start happening from then on. It's not a horror movie, but there's an atmosphere of tension and mystery.
I've read the use of a handheld camera throughout has annoyed some viewers, and I can see why, but luckily it wasn't an issue for me. Maybe the film starts a bit uneventful, but then it picks up and is worth watching.

online prowler

Potential:

UK crime thriller.

HYENA

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR1A2e7Vx8A

@RITA & GEWALTMONOPOL // Gone Wind The Wind demands a rewatch I understand. Made a personal memo regarding that. Regrading westerns.... Fort Apache is coming up during the week. So is The Furies (1950). Millie Perkins ..... very good actor. Fun anecdote. Never had the pleasure myself. I think she acted in some of Hellman's other films as well. Not sure if she was in Cockfighter or what. She has one of those faces one remember you know.

@CR.... Schramm... depressive and bored void. Classic, of course. Great score by Kopp as well if I remember correctly.