Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C601

Quote from: online prowler on June 12, 2014, 11:40:25 PM
WES ANDERSON'S

The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Close to perfection. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

wes's films are so predictable now, everything just looks like a royal tannenbaum's sequel

C601

bitewerksMTB

JACOB'S LADDER- I haven't seen it for a lot of years & it actually holds up fairly well. The ending is kind of 'eh' but other than that, I like it.

PRISONERS- desite the good reviews but I was suspicious so never rented it but was able to catch it over a weekend of free HBO (How the hell does HBO stay in business with
so many shitty films & a couple of not-so-funny statist comedians?). It may run a little long but it's a pretty good film for being mainstream.

SHARKYS MACHINE- one of my fave films from the '80s with Burt Reynolds & Henry Silva. Silva plays a drugged out lunatic who is barely in a scene that does not involve  him shooting someone plus there's plenty of un-PC dialogue, ninjas, & prostitutes.

online prowler

MS. 45

Abel Ferrara's classic revenge sleaze - and US take on the giallo genre. Highly recommended. Be sure to get the recently reisussed dvd/bluray.

cr

Started my personal Jodorowsky-Festival:
- El Topo
- The Holy Mountain

Both brilliant, but El Topo is my favourite!

Next:
- Fando y Lis
- Santa Sangre

Andrew McIntosh

Watched Angel's Egg, and while I loved the surrealist non-plot, the skill of the art and the general darkness and gloominess itself, I've got to say that little girl was one of the most annoying characters I have seen. Good thing she died.
Shikata ga nai.

bitewerksMTB

RAVENOUS- not sure why I had not seen this film before. It's not great but is an interesting story of cannibalism in the 1800s. Unfortunately, some of the music & acting ruins the tone of some scenes.

TRUE DETECTIVE episodes 4 through 6- not sure why people dig this so much...

THE ENFORCER- the 3rd film in the Dirty Harry series that is not as good as the first two. it's interesting that  films in the '70s tackled social issues people are still complaining about.

LONE SURVIVOR- okay war film. the beginning of the fire fight is the most intense. the gunfire sounds is dead-on accurate. my problem is that i don't think anyone can go rag-dolling off the side of a mountain, landing on boulders, smashing against trees then get up to  hobble away and continue fighting. i'm guessing there was some over-dramatizing going on. i think i'll pick up the book by Marcus Luttrell if i can remember to look for it the next time i hit the used bookstore. The Village Voice called LONE SURVIVOR  "a snuff film"...

bitewerksMTB

TRUE DETECTIVE episodes 7 & 8- final 2 episodes were a bit better than previous episodes. Or episode 7 and half of the final episode; if you're pressed for time or have to download, grab the debut and the final two. Everything in between is just padding. And don't buy into the hype that this series is anything but a typical serial murder series, that is exactly what it is. The writer just happened to use some obscure horror writers as influence/reference material. It isn't awful , it just doesn't live up to what has been written about it.

ANDROPHILIA

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Bleak Existence

bitewerksMTB

Sightseers & Big Bad Wolves- both films are okay & have pretty good but predictable endings.

Interview with Larry Clark:

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/20945/1/pop-quiz-13-larry-clark

Wasn't sure where to put it but since he mentions his new French film, I'll stick him here.

ironfistofthesun

Quote from: ANDROPHILIA on July 19, 2014, 04:31:57 AM
there's no THE SOPRANOS fans?

Hell yes...i have the box sets,cookery books, scripts, autographs and even the board game that i have to play on my own as i don't have anyone to play with....jesus I'm boring myself typing this.

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: ironfistofthesun on July 23, 2014, 09:31:55 PM
Quote from: ANDROPHILIA on July 19, 2014, 04:31:57 AM
there's no THE SOPRANOS fans?

Hell yes...i have the box sets,cookery books, scripts, autographs and even the board game that i have to play on my own as i don't have anyone to play with....jesus I'm boring myself typing this.

YESSS
i'm really obsessed about this serial. I'm into the fourth view of the complete box and i'm reading the collection of essays of Richard Greene and Peter Vernezze "The SOPRANO AND PHILOSOPHY"

and at the moment Vincent PAstore don't accept my facebook request of friendship :(
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

martialgodmask

The Raid - finally got round to this and had that same kind of feeling as when I first saw Ong-Bak. Amazing, it's fast paced and punchy, it's got some wonderful violence in it and is a shining light for hi-octane modern martial arts.

The Raid 2 - followed up the first with the second and this one is bloody brilliant too. Much slower pace, makes the first one feel like a bit of a showcase for violence. More of an Asian Mafia feel to it with some absolutely stunning fight sequences. This and the first are the benchmark now, for me.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I find the originals to be more or less over-rated cack that people don't feel comfortable talking bad of, but I quite enjoyed the first part of this modern reimagining, after giving it a couple of watches. Was keen to see where they went in this having seen the trailers and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good action, reasonable story, great visuals and locations.