Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Yeah, the ending was sort of let down. But I've read somewhere that there should be season 2 some time in the future. Anyways, good watch. Seeing that director of True Detective was also responsible for a couple of episodes of "The Killing" USA remake, I started watching it. And well I guess there is no reason to watch it if you saw Forbrydelsen. But it's done ok so far. Just perhaps it's cultural differences and so on, but Forbrydelsen seemed much more naturally flowing than The Killing. Small things, but perhaps for Europeans it's better to stick with the original series, and for Americans to watch The Killing. Just curious if other seasons of the series will be also 1:1 with original or there will be some more interesting development.

bitewerksMTB

Where did you guys grab True Detective at? I was waiting for it to hit blu-ray or dvd so I can rent it rather than d/l'ing each episode.

Yeah, The Killing isn't that hot. I can barely remember what the last season was about & have no idea if it'll be coming back. There's another US TV show called Those Who Kill (or something like that) that is based on a Swedish crime show (Swedish or Danish, I can't remember what the credits said). It's interesting that Americans are having to go to Europe for gritty crime/drama. It's not like we don't have plenty of reality over here to use.

The last season of The Killing is a new case about a serial killer. It started off better than the first couple of seasons about the teenage girl being murdered with the politician as suspect... I haven't seen the original series so I'm not sure how much the two are alike nor can I remember very much from the series. I do remember watching some of The Bridge (whatever the Danish title is) but found it kind of dull. The US version is a bit more violent/gritty due to the locations but it's still not very good.

C601

Torrent it, easiest way to get it. The ending was such a let down man

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 17, 2014, 08:28:11 PM
Where did you guys grab True Detective at? I was waiting for it to hit blu-ray or dvd so I can rent it rather than d/l'ing each episode.

i just streamed it online from my cable company
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

I'll just wait to rent the dvd; I don't want to d/l each episode & I don't have any cable movie channels (I did get HBO free last weekend so was able to watch a marathon of Game of Thrones which, for the most part, wasn't worth a damn. No re-runs of TD though.). It's hard to believe HBO & Cinemax are able to stay in business as they just show the same crap they were showing 5+ years ago when I had them!

The Killing has been killed so no 4th season.

C601

all good man, there's packs of season 1 with all the episodes included

XXX

Watched NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955) recently and was blown away. Recognized a few samples too, from Genocide Organ to Coil. Film is exceptional from start to finish. Highly recommended.

Also saw NYMPH()MANIAC at the local theatre and enjoyed it. Saw ALPHAVILLE that same week for the first time on big screen and was very pleased. The darkness of the cinematography is brilliant.

online prowler

Night of the hunter and Alphaville are truly classics. Both productions have all angels covered. Brilliant acting, direction, cinematography, script, editing, etc. Alphaville is one of my fav films of Godard. Off late I have been feeling the urge again to go through old 40s-50s noir films. Planning to rewatch Sunset Boulevard one of these days. Maybe director Billy Wilder's best work and a milestone within the genre.

Turning back to aforementioned TV series discussion. Anyone seen the new series of Fargo based on the Coen brothers flick?

martialgodmask

Watched Trance (2013) last night, enjoyed it a lot, don't normally like Danny Boyle. A bit too much lens flare going on, stylistically it had nothing to do with the movie really, but not too distracting. The downside with it is it feels like he's seen Inception and thought "I'd like to do a British version of that" so subsequently feels quite derivative. Having said that, the plot is pretty solid so I can forgive it. Vincent Cassell is his usual good self and Rosario Dawson is great - James McAvoy however is stiff and not nearly good enough for the lead role.

bitewerksMTB

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/w/white-of-the-eye-arrow-video-bluray-dvd-combo/

Has anyone seen "White of the Eye"? It seems familiar to me from the days of vhs but it's only a 'feeling' that I've seen it. Watching the trailer doesn't ring any bells. Maybe it's just a film I've read about over the years.

online prowler

Looks interesting. Have the same feeling. I think the trailer contains a lot of elements that are trade to the genre - or for trailers at that time... Or, Maybe I rented it on VHS back in '87? Not sure. Keith is B-movie king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1imBmJ6VVE

P-K

Quote from: online prowler on April 29, 2014, 09:59:41 PM
Looks interesting. Have the same feeling. I think the trailer contains a lot of elements that are trade to the genre - or for trailers at that time... Or, Maybe I rented it on VHS back in '87? Not sure. Keith is B-movie king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1imBmJ6VVE

imho a rather good native-indian-inspired slasher. That first kill is pure Argento-worship. Def one to check.

Nil By Mouth

Look very interesting! Arrow just released it as double format, DVD and Bluray. This review from Amazon Uk is one of the best:

"This film appeared on South African Television and due to the exstatic write ups from Amazon and six reviewers, my wife and i decided to watch it with disastrous results from our point of view. I cannot belief that it was rated 15years and older , it should have been 18 years and older. In fact the film should never have been made.

I had never heard of Donald Cammell, the Director, and only know from one of the reviewers that he committed suicide in 1996 and if this film is anything to go by, it does not suprise me. The story is about a so called devoted father and husband and a popular figure in Tuscon, who is suspected of being a serial killer by detectives investigating rather nasty murders of wealthy women in Tuscon who have upmarket sound systems installed by the so called devoted father and loving husband, with skeletons in his closet.

The language in the whole of the film was disgusting as was the dialogue for a lot of the time, the acting of a poor standard and if one could call it a saving grace the scenery was beautifully photographed and some classical music played during parts of it beautiful to listen too. The ending of the film was atrocious and in fact it summoned up the whole distrous mess of a film.

My wife and i are in our 70's and i don't know the age of the Amazon reviewers or their predilictions but it does not suprise me that the world is in such a mess when the cinema industry can produce such unadulterated nonsense. I know that there are in life terrible crimes committed by people but to eulogise them in this sort of way beggars belief."

tiny_tove

Vikings... definitely intense... superb soundtrack and for once vikings with no horns on their caps
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0