Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I thought YOU'RE NEXT lost it at the 60 minute mark. After that, it just seemed to get ridiculous. I know there were a couple of interesting deaths but I can't remember anything about them.

I've seen a handful of films in the last month but all I can remember are JUST BEFORE DAWN (new Code Red dvd), CAT PEOPLE (I couldn't pay attention to it at all),  & WE ARE WHAT WE ARE (based on the Spanish screenplay rather than the film, which, I have not seen).

ConcreteMascara

Klute - inspired by listening to too much Clock DVA. I remember hearing about this movie when i was lot younger and wanting to watch it, but pre-torrent/Netflix there was no way to. Really top notch psychological thriller. Awesome cinematography and a palpable atmosphere of paranoia. I really want one of those old reel to reel hand held recorders...
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: cr on February 09, 2014, 10:02:52 PM
*Vargtimmen (Ingmar Bergman)

Breathtakingly great movie and the one where I finally 'got' Bergman after wondering what I was missing. http://philipbest.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/la-dame-aux-camelias.html

It's a mainstream film, nothing countercultural about it, but I thought American Hustle was terrific - great acting, script and direction and such a pace which never lets you stop concentrating. Hollywood at its rare very best.

Jordan

I'm going to see American Hustle in a few days. So many people have hyped it to me, that I'm a tad bit worried about being disappointed. I think this might be a film best gone into with no expectations, which is based on nothing other than the fact that expectations tend not to be met, in my experience.

martialgodmask

Ill day on the sofa yesterday so got put some movies on. Watched Zero Dark Thirty again, thoroughly enjoyed it again 2nd time; checked out The Fifth Estate and it's alright but nothing to shout about - despite Assange's own attempts to discredit it, it seems to have quite a rose-tinted view of him; watched The Hurt Locker, from the beginning, all the way through and have to take back what I've said about it previously - it actually is a really very good film. Don't know what was different about watching it this time, perhaps I didn't have the same "blinkers" on as I did last time but yep, great film.

Edit: On a vaguely related note, the sci-fi snooze that was Gravity cleaned up at the Baftas - ha! Maybe they showed the judging panel a different version to the mainstream release, or there was too much investment in it perhaps... predictably, 12 Years Of Blame did well too.

cr

Funny Games (Michael Haneke)
Haven't seen Funny Games U.S. - is this one as good as the original?

Twin Peaks - Pilot Episode (David Lynch)
Decided to rewatch Twin Peaks again, so I started with the pilot yesterday. Still great!

cr

Lilja 4-ever (Lukas Moodysson)
Great movie! For me, this is no happy ending at all.

ANDROPHILIA

don't miss

DRIVE

great modern noir really essential and nightly

and

ONLY GOD FOGIVES

most silent and nihilist than previous , set in a nightly Thailand

both of Nicolas Refn

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

online prowler

Bleak Existence

not involatory funny & very good

bitewerksMTB

I'm currently watching David Cronenberg's SPIDER. Or trying to. It's boring as hell.

I watched PANIC a few nights ago: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0194218/

online prowler

Quote from: Bleak Existence on March 07, 2014, 06:03:53 PM
not involatory funny & very good

Noted. Saw a trailer way back which wasn't too good. A bit amateurish cinematography, narrative and editing. Though I can understand the DIY attitude. Seemed a bit too serious and self-absorbed as well. I guess the final product can be of better quality. Found the whole film on yt. Will take a look one of these days.  

Noiseape

saw these last few weeks

-MACHETE KILLS AGAIN (brainless fun, not as good as the first one, but still fun)
-RAW DEAL (hadnt seen this anymore since the 80's and now found it cheap at a local dvd shop. Not my fave Schwarzenegger movie but its o.k.)
-ARGOMAN THE FANTASTIC SUPERMAN (yeah, superior stuff!!)
-KICK ASS 2 (hilarious, maybe better then the first one)
-WHO SAW HER DIE? (nice giallo)
-MS45 (one of Ferrara's best flix i think)
-IL SIGNOR ROSSI CERCA LA FELICITA (tripping adventures of Signor Rossi)
-THE WORLD'S END (Not as good as Shaun and Hot Fuzz but still a fun one)
-THE GREEN SLIME (seen this one a zillion times and going to watch it 100 times more!!)

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Noiseape on March 09, 2014, 12:27:31 PM
-RAW DEAL (hadnt seen this anymore since the 80's and now found it cheap at a local dvd shop. Not my fave Schwarzenegger movie but its o.k.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI28jJ7MntM&feature=player_detailpage#t=13

best part
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512