Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kettu

the proposition
reign of assassins
the warlords
hero
alatriste

I sure have a soft spot for good "historical" movies and that bunch were all goodens.

ConcreteMascara

I think I've said it before but The Proposition is one of my all time favs. I've seen that movie at least 15 times.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

The Proposition is one of my fave movies too. Excellant soundtrack, vicious violence, & wicked dialouge:

"What's an Irishman but a nigger turned inside out?" Love that line!

kettu

that line cought my ear too.
same director made the road and lawless that came out recently. I liked them both but I agree that the proposition was very good.

I tried to find some yakuza movies, a couple well known ones.now I forget the titles but couldnt find them.

next in line is men behind the sun and aquirre.

bitewerksMTB

I may rent LAWLESS. I didn't know it was the same dir or that Nick Cave wrote the screenplay & did the sndtrk. I remember thinking the trailer looked ok but figured if I went to the theater, it'd suck shit for sure.

kettu

the movie sounds better than it is when describe it like that but it was pretty good. 50% if the proposition is 100%

I bet the upcoming gangster movie is quite alot better than lawless, I saw some snippet of it. sean penn and guy from drive. they recut it postponing it because it had a scene where they shoot up a cinema.

algiz

Enter the void - watched it intoxicated and therefore it was somehow worth to spend nearly 3 hours... But for me it wasn't as good as some of his older movies but still very well done

Tenebracid

I've been rewatching some works by my favorite director, R.W. Fassbinder, lately the BRD trilogy with marriage of Maria Braun, Veronika Voss and Lola. Always wonderful.

also finally got around to watch some films by the belgian born Dardenne brothers and so far they have all been great, special mention to Le Fils. Not surprising that Haneke is an admirer of their work.

bitewerksMTB

Wtched most of OLDBOY last night but then the disc froze up & I couldn't get it to go past chapter 12. Tried it on 2 players. I bought it used & didn't check it when I received it. Goddamnit. The night before, I watched THE EXORCIST.

martialgodmask

Just watched Wolf Creek, not for the first time, but I was reading some speculative analysis of certain parts the other day and I can't help but think some people won't be satisfied unless they can scrutinize some kind of deeper meaning to everything. Stuff in it that I'd not really paid attention to before I watched more closely and for what? Very little. Now I'm the kind of guy that does like to analyse movies now and then, with my wife or friends of course, but just because you can try and put a deeper spin on something doesn't necessarily mean you should with everything. Some things just are what they are.

P-K

after the overexposure to game-show-splatter like Saw etc Wolf Creek was rather fun to watch. less splatter, more terror.

martialgodmask

Quote from: P-K on December 22, 2012, 07:44:35 PM
after the overexposure to game-show-splatter like Saw etc Wolf Creek was rather fun to watch. less splatter, more terror.

Yeh, it's not perfect by any stretch but as far as modern horror goes I like it a lot more than most of the dross. Saying that, I guess it's not so recent now. Could be the shades of Texas Chainsaw that strike the right chord for me, although I certainly don't it in such high esteem like TCM.

bitewerksMTB

ALPHA DOG- over the top, stupid movie about a white suburban drug dealer & his idiot friends. Based on a true story: the young, naive brother of a sort-of white supremist junkie who owes drug money, is kidnapped by a weed dealer who looks to be the size of a 4th grader. Really, really BAD. The only thing that made it watchable was it was a censored version ("Motherfucker" was "motherfodder"). Best scene is the white junkie looking for the 4th grader -cum-dealer at a party that seems to be made of all minorities. Not getting the respect he deserves or the answers, he proceeds to beat the shit out of EVERYONE in the room! Absolutely halirious. If it had been a dvd, I'd tossed it but for some reason, I kept watching. Felt like an endurance test. Every actor is way over the top. Everyone had to know what a turd they were making...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbwocBe_tQ

Here's the fight scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGBGW0_O4PE

kettu

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 24, 2012, 12:16:21 AM
Felt like an endurance test.

couple of tests I just plain failed.
dahmer
jesus fuck this was shitty. gay wrestling and crying about killing. I couldnt watch it. I dont know too much about the jeff but there must have been more story to be told than this one did. I watched plenty of seemingly boring movies that are great, this was really dissapointing. please avoid.

killer a journal of a murder

carl panzram is an intresting character and the movie did it no justice at all. james woods as man mountain panzram, no thanks. couldnt watch all the way.

and I was on a row of good ones, I hardly ever have to quit a movie.