Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Just watches Cobre Verde myself the other night. Very good but I don't think anything can really top Aguirre. It seems like Kinski is/was Aguirre.

Also watched My Greatest Fiend about Herzogs and Kinski's relationship which is quite interesting and filled with some wild stories.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

ARKHE

Didn't the indian tribes in Fitzcarraldo offer to assassinate Kinski, for Herzog? I think that's mentioned in the documentary. Pretty... turbulent character. Nosferatu is also amazing.

ConcreteMascara

Yes they did. I think there are probably a number of people who would have killed Kinski.
[death|trigger|impulse]

bitewerksMTB

The only film with Kinski I can think of that I like is CRAWLSPACE.

ConcreteMascara

Going Nip tonight. Branded to Kill which is just too awesome for words. Visually and logically nuts 60s Yakuza film and Miike's Dead or Alive which is the film equivalent of cocaine. Funny to see how the genre has changed. Yakuza flicks can really be a vehicle for anything.

Also watched The Cannonball Run. I don't think this is movie is really as funny unless you're from the States. Truly a product of it's time when drinking and driving was okay and when Farah Fawcett was still hot. Despite being "PG" it's pretty racist with Jackie Chan as the Japanese driver with an utter lack of subtitles a Jew as the Arab and Sammy Davis Jr playing a catholic priest. Good stuff and definitely a good drinking movie.
[death|trigger|impulse]

Nil By Mouth

Quote from: P-K on August 18, 2011, 12:29:39 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166808/ .......dark !

Agree, very awesome and disturbing movie.

I should like to take this opportunity to say that yesterday Gualtiero Jacopetti is passed away. he was the famous director of a large amount of mondo movies. RIP

bitewerksMTB

Concrete, have you seen THE YAKUZA PAPERS films by director of BATTLE ROYALE? Those are excellant. I love Yakuza films esp. VIOLENT STREET (on Japanese dvd; there are boot rel's with Engl subs that may be a vhs rip but looks good or the Jpn dvd isn't that great of a transfer). There was once a guy called Cannibal King who fan-subbed a bunch of Yakuza films before any were released in the U.S. I think his website is still around but I can't think of the name which was changed from C.K.

DEAD OR ALIVE is ok but the first 10 minutes or so is great!

ConcreteMascara

Haven't seen the Yakuza Papers but I did see Graveyard of Honor by Fukasaku which is really violent and bloody. Miike actually did a remake of that one if I remember correctly. I saw another of Fukasaku's yakuza flicks but I can't I remember which.

Gotta love the scene in Dead or Alive where the guy drowns the Chinese stripper in a kiddie pool filled with shit, post-gangbang. That's classy stuff!
[death|trigger|impulse]

Matthias

I enjoyed Miikes Graveyard Of Honor a lot, but i haven't seen the original. Need to check out the Yakuza Papers.
Not a big fan of the DOA trilogy, but they have their moments for sure.

bitewerksMTB

GRAVEYARD OF HONOR is bleak.

Other yakuza films I would recommend: VIOLENT STREETS, STREET MOBSTER, OUTLAW KILLERS: 3 MAD DOG BROTHERS, HOKURIKU PROXY WAR, MACHINEGUN DRAGON, COPS VS THUGS + the YAKUZA PAPERS films.

kettu

I went to see this new planet of the apes flick. I dont really have that much to say about it. it was fine but I cant imagine why I would want to see it again. I was kind of obsessed with the first ones as a kid. the nightmarish soundtrack especially comes to mind whenever I think of the first one.

there needs to be diehard editions of these re(hash)makes, extra 20-60 minutes of monkees doing monkey business in the revolution and populating the planet. and predtor hunting alien with only humancharacters as bait in the huntingfest. since they already have the costumes on, its just bad business to not exploit the situation. every je...producer should know this.

I saw some buzz around new aliens movie... im  exited about it.

edit: I splept on it and yeah the apes movie was kind of shitty. I was clearly in denial and should have gone to see captain america instead.

Tenebracid

La noche de Walpurgis (1970) - one of the best Paul Naschy films i've seen so far, next to watch are Inquisicion and El caminante.

La semana del asesino (1972) - gritty and bleak spanish serial killer film by the director of classic "cine kinki" films like el pico 1 & 2 or una gota de sangre para morir amando aka the spanish clockwork orange.

Una vela para el diablo (1973) - another 70s gem of horror from spain, great use of symbolism using religious imagery and that rough depressing atmosphere of Franco's spain.

The legend of hell house (1973) - classic haunted house/parapsychology film.

Don't look now (1973) - slow, elegant and highly atmospheric psychological horror, the streets and canals of Venice are like another character in the movie. loved that ending.

ConcreteMascara

From Beyond (1986) - By Gordon Stewart - This was fun. Pretty heavy gore, a good looking blonde in leather and Ken Foree. The camp level is high but and there's nothing really scary about it but I like the idea of genius/eunuch who is so sex obsessed he's got to stimulate his 6th sense!!! That's my kind of science. They special effects are pretty solid even though they're corny. Reminds me a lot of The Thing with all the wet, sticky mutating flesh. I think few beers definitely increase the enjoyment of this one.

Watching The Resurrected (1992) tonight, based on HP Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Directed by Dan O'Bannon, I'm interested to see if it's any good. I love the original story so I'm hoping it's treated with care.
[death|trigger|impulse]

moozz

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 02, 2011, 03:35:36 AM
From Beyond (1986) - By Gordon Stewart - This was fun. Pretty heavy gore, a good looking blonde in leather and Ken Foree. The camp level is high but and there's nothing really scary about it but I like the idea of genius/eunuch who is so sex obsessed he's got to stimulate his 6th sense!!! That's my kind of science. They special effects are pretty solid even though they're corny. Reminds me a lot of The Thing with all the wet, sticky mutating flesh. I think few beers definitely increase the enjoyment of this one.

That would be Stuart Gordon. Your post made me want to see this one again after like 20 years but unfortunately I don't have the VHS anymore. Gotta do some DVD shopping. Re-Animator is another great one by Gordon.