Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Been on a Dario Argento kick lately. Watched Opera last night, Tenebrae last week and will be watching Deep Red soon. All great so far. Now I know what a lot of the clips in Skinny Puppy's Worlock video are from. :0
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bitewerksMTB

I'd love to have MEN BEHIND THE SUN. Is your boxset a U.S. release?

TERROR AT THE OPERA may be my fave Argento film. Followed by TENEBRAE, SUSPIRIA, & DEEP RED. I think the Blue Underground blu-rays will be must-own's for fans (DEEP RED is out now, I think). I like INFERNO but it just doesn't have the appeal as the others. Except for the underwater scene. I think it's one that needs multiple viewings over a period of time. I think BU has a BR of THE CAT O'NINE TAILS out now too. I'll probably break down for a player next year.

humanpulp

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 21, 2011, 09:07:20 PM
I'd love to have MEN BEHIND THE SUN. Is your boxset a U.S. release?

to the best of my knowledge, it was a U.S. release, with distro from JAPAN SHOCK! from about 3 or 4 years back. limited to 1400 numbered pieces (i think). 4 DVDs + 40 glossy lobby cards from the movie. rad supplements/documentaries on the discs. what was weird is that the first 3 MBTS movies are in NTSC format, and BLACK SUN is in PAL format. kind of odd for a box set.
here is a link and if you scroll down there is a picture. http://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/541567-men-behind-sun-limited-box-set-question.html

Matthias

Terror Express
Been on my want-to-see list for years, finally got my hands on the Camera Obscura dvd. A bunch of young, ruthless rich kids terrorizes passengers on a train. Silvia Dionisio might be the star here, but i prefer Zora Kerova. An obvious reference would be Night Train Murders, but Terror Express dosen't quite reach that one in level of pure J&B fueled terror and baaad vibes. Still a good one and recommended if you've already seen House On The Edge Of The Park, Last House On The Beach, Violence For Kicks etc and want more (and of course you do!). Camera Obscura once again delivers, feels pretty much as the Criterion of euro exploitation for the moment. Expensive dvds, but worth it.

bitewerksMTB

I felt the same way after TERROR EXPRESS. I didn't think it was as sleazy as NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS but interesting to see after waiting nearly 2 years to buy the dvd (as said, very nice release).

C.O. will be released WILD BEASTS this year. Screenshots look great & the movie sounds INSANE! PCP inthe water causes animals to start killing everyone or something like that. Forget the director but he's the mastermind behind a few of the infamous mondo films.

Matthias

Yeah, Wild Beasts are actually getting a Swedish dvd release so i already have it on pre-order (releasedate tomorrow!), but i bet the Camera Obscura disc will beat the shit out of it. Apparently there is a new interview with Prosperi on it. Never seen the film so im excited anyway.

FreakAnimalFinland

TETSUO #1. Teenage years inspirational movie - and I'm sure it's classic many have seen. Black & white film of men turning into rusty metal machines. Drill-cock fuck death, rust mutation, will to assault the world,... great industrial soundtrack by Chu Ishikawa known also as Der Eisenrost. Essential for anyone into metal percussion industrial.
It has been looong time since I last saw it. On VHS dub. Recently decided to purchase DVD, and I look forward purchasing rest of his titles on dvd. Tetsuo #2 have seen so long ago, hardly recollections what it was. Tokyo Fist I saw in cinema when it came to Finlands alternative theaters. The others, I don't think I have even seen. Which is something I wonder why?! Any comments on his other directions? Trailers/previews looked interesting.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tiny_tove

Mikko, make yourself a present and check almost everything Tsukamoto has done (apart from the two horrible Tetsuo sequels).
Check especially the classy voyeuristic drama/comedy "A snake of June", and the short "Haze", that is possibly his masterpiece.
He should do more shorts.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Nil By Mouth

Quote from: tiny_tove on May 25, 2011, 10:49:38 AM
Mikko, make yourself a present and check almost everything Tsukamoto has done (apart from the two horrible Tetsuo sequels).
Check especially the classy voyeuristic drama/comedy "A snake of June", and the short "Haze", that is possibly his masterpiece.

A snake of june is superb. Mikko will appreciate this, no doubt!

tisbor

also check vital, but yes just watch everything

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: tisbor on May 28, 2011, 11:36:55 PM

also check vital, but yes just watch everything

Vital was very good. The kind of movie that really needs to be watched multiple times. Just visually it very enjoyable, real eye candy.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Niko

First Human Centipede movie was nothing special(except for Dieter Lasers performance) but the sequel seems bit more interesting.

QuoteUnlike the first film, the sequel presents graphic images of sexual violence, forced defecation, and mutilation, and the viewer is invited to witness events from the perspective of the protagonist. Whereas in the first film the 'centipede' idea is presented as a revolting medical experiment, with the focus on whether the victims will be able to escape, this sequel presents the 'centipede' idea as the object of the protagonist's depraved sexual fantasy.

The principal focus of The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) is the sexual arousal of the central character at both the idea and the spectacle of the total degradation, humiliation, mutilation, torture, and murder of his naked victims. Examples of this include a scene early in the film in which he masturbates whilst he watches a DVD of the original Human Centipede film, with sandpaper wrapped around his penis, and a sequence later in the film in which he becomes aroused at the sight of the members of the 'centipede' being forced to defecate into one another's mouths, culminating in sight of the man wrapping barbed wire around his penis and raping the woman at the rear of the 'centipede'. There is little attempt to portray any of the victims in the film as anything other than objects to be brutalised, degraded and mutilated for the amusement and arousal of the central character, as well as for the pleasure of the audience. There is a strong focus throughout on the link between sexual arousal and sexual violence and a clear association between pain, perversity and sexual pleasure.

It will also be interesting to see, what is so horrible in Human Centipede part 2 since it is already banned in UK but A Serbian Film for example isn't.

QuoteThe Human Centipede II (Full Sequence) just got banned by the British Board of Film Classification, citing that it is "sexually violent and potentially obscene," according to Empire. The DVD cannot be legally distributed anywhere in the UK. The board also said that its "unacceptable material" is not fixable with cuts, but the filmmakers have six weeks to appeal.
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

bitewerksMTB

A SERBIAN FILM has been cut for the UK but I haven't read anything about which scenes were cut.

I watched GRIZZLY the other day. I love nature-goes-berserk films. The mauling scenes are fantastic as is the finale.

dfylr

I was wondering about "Subconscious Cruelty the film" and if anyone recommends it,I checked out an article in Fangoria Magazine a while back calling it one of the most horrific films ever made,Iam somewhat curious yet skeptical if it really lives up to all the hype,Fangoria has failed before with their review of Paranormal Activity,in the end was no more then an in home remake of the Blair Witch Project,a terrible rendition of fright useing hand held cameras and corny story lines.

Some movies though fairly old I still find worthy of a good shock :

Audition
The Beyond
The Brood
The Entity
Clive Barkers Raw Head Rex (Uncut)
I Spit On Your Grave (original)

Begotten was also somewhat decent but not all that great,I liked the concept of the way it was filmed but it didnt seem to have much going on besides the intro were god suppositly killed himself then you have some strange woman stumbling around aimlessly representing mother nature with her ill begotten son (the messiah)? Strange and creative but could of been less involved makeing it a pretty good indy film but still far from a cult classic.