Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manhog_84

Just rewatched Phase IV. 101 films Blu-ray has the original Saul Bass ending as an extra feature and fuck, it's amazing! It always felt that the film's ending is a bit letdown and rushed, but this works a lot better and makes more sense.

HateSermon

Couple of movies with the boys tonight...

First up was Invasion USA. Excellent Cannon film starring Chuck Norris. A bunch of Cubans and Russians try to storm the US but good ol Chuck Norris is there to fuck up their plans. I think he has like 10 lines in this whole movie, the rest is one big explosion after another. Plenty of real dynamite used on scenes rather than cgi or whatever. Some seedy goons in here, too. A fun ride.

Second was Dead Heat. A buddy cop movie but one of the cops turns into a zombie and can't be killed. Somehow the main broad in this gets more attractive as the film progresses. One of the last flicks Vincent Price was in before he died and I gotta tell ya, still a great actor even on his deathbed. Has Joe Piscopo playing a meathead italian cop but his one liners were a huge let down. Like every time it was setup for him he said some stupid shit. Treat Williams is the pretty boy good cop turned zombie. Highlight of the film was a crazy reanimated butcher shop scene... chickens and pigs coming back to life and whatnot. Worth watching.

goldameir

Just rewatched "The Rock" (1996), and I can't stop admiring this movie since its release. This was exclusive how Michael Bay managed to combine a classy action thriller with such a deep dramatic character as General Hummel portrayed by Ed Harris.
And of course, the scroe is my favorite score for ever. You can't imagine this movie without "The Rock Suite". I've been listening to this album many years as a separate musical opus, and if they tell me, that I have to choose one music piece for the rest of my life..

Nick Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer - "The Rock" Main Theme

AdamLehrerImageMaker

Been reading Quentin Tarantino's Cinema Speculation, which is phenomenal, and then jotting down some of the films that he writes about.

First was John Avildsen's Joe from 1970, which I'd seen a long time ago, and bought the blu-ray and rewatched it. Almost a perfect film. A bourgeois hard working family murders the heroin addict drug dealer that leads his daughter to ruin, earning the respect and admiration of working class foul mouth bigot Joe, who leads him to ruin. Truly hypnotic film, and a great lens into the generational divide of the first counter culture.

Neons Fanzine

Quote from: HateSermon on January 26, 2023, 07:01:28 AM

First up was Invasion USA. Excellent Cannon film starring Chuck Norris. A bunch of Cubans and Russians try to storm the US but good ol Chuck Norris is there to fuck up their plans. I think he has like 10 lines in this whole movie, the rest is one big explosion after another. Plenty of real dynamite used on scenes rather than cgi or whatever. Some seedy goons in here, too. A fun ride.

Even the beginning is epic
The russian guy shooting a dude in the dick and then throwing the screaming chick through the window, that's badass
And I love how the communists are invading America the same way the allies arrived in the beaches of Normandy

HateSermon

Quote from: Neons Fanzine on February 12, 2023, 03:40:51 AM
Quote from: HateSermon on January 26, 2023, 07:01:28 AM

Even the beginning is epic
The russian guy shooting a dude in the dick and then throwing the screaming chick through the window, that's badass
And I love how the communists are invading America the same way the allies arrived in the beaches of Normandy

Fuck man I said the same damn thing about the Normandy thing haha.

Atrophist

Cronenberg jr's Infinity Pool. His first actually succesful film imo. Unlike many others I wasn't a big fan ofPossessor, and Antiviral was just silly.

Infinity Pool still stumbles a bit here and there, but given how ambitious the concept is, it's still a remarkably well done film. Mia Goth's performance is so totally over the top that you can't help but admire it.

PSYWAR LTD

I watched "Evil Dead Trap" last night which was very good. It's a 1988 Japanese slasher movie with excellent music and a scene involving a killer fetus. High recommended. 

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: PSYWAR LTD on March 19, 2023, 09:52:22 PM
I watched "Evil Dead Trap" last night which was very good. It's a 1988 Japanese slasher movie with excellent music and a scene involving a killer fetus. High recommended. 

Evil Dead Trap is great! I love the locations/sets for the film. And that scene where the killer pulls a hunting knife blade through a victim's hands. Woof.

This past Saturday I went to a screening of 5 Italian genre films on 35mm and will hopefully get a write up posted here in my lifetime.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

cr

Ulrich Seidl "Rimini"
Great! The world of "German Schlager" is sometimes darker than all the PE and Noise themes. Some of you will know what I mean.

Other than that, I watched the movies from director Martin McDonagh this weekend and the last one - In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, The Banshees of Inishereen. Never saw them before, but I liked them a lot!

spallmaker

Quote from: cr on June 18, 2023, 01:55:07 PM
Ulrich Seidl "Rimini"
Great! The world of "German Schlager" is sometimes darker than all the PE and Noise themes. Some of you will know what I mean.

This looks great. Recently watched Dog Days and it blew me away. Have you seen his doc In The Basement? About people and their "hobbies."

cr

Quote from: spallmaker on June 24, 2023, 09:38:39 PM
Quote from: cr on June 18, 2023, 01:55:07 PM
Ulrich Seidl "Rimini"

This looks great. Recently watched Dog Days and it blew me away. Have you seen his doc In The Basement? About people and their "hobbies."

Yes, I've seen most of his films. If you haven't seen already, I can also strongly recommend Models, Import/Export and the Paradise trilogy.

Atrophist

Can't wait to see Rimini. The Paradise trilogy is great too, if a bit self-indulgent and "oh, look at me" at times.

There apparently is also a whole film from 1997, with Herr Rupnik from Paradise: Faith as the main character, called Der Busenfreund. (Moozz are you reading this?)

I'd love to see it but it seems incredibly hard to find.

cr

Quote from: Atrophist on June 25, 2023, 11:09:51 PM

Der Busenfreund

It can be found here, I hope it works everywhere:

https://youtu.be/wDvKNwr9PX4

moozz

Quote from: Atrophist on June 25, 2023, 11:09:51 PM
Can't wait to see Rimini. The Paradise trilogy is great too, if a bit self-indulgent and "oh, look at me" at times.

There apparently is also a whole film from 1997, with Herr Rupnik from Paradise: Faith as the main character, called Der Busenfreund. (Moozz are you reading this?)

I am/was reading and checked it out. Had to give up after 30 minutes, I found it super boring. Maybe I'll just go watch some Russ Meyer :)