Special Interest
July 01, 2022, 07:37:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 [218]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 1317256 times)
Theodore
Heavy user

« Reply #3255 on: March 11, 2022, 03:21:51 AM »

Baxter (1989) : French movie. Baxter is a bull terrier and we watch his story with his narrative. Coming from a shelter Baxter changes a couple of homes / families before he finds "someone like him", as he tells us. A 12YO [?] boy who is obsessed with Hitler, especially his final days, and building his bunker in the near junkyard wasteland. So, it's not the usual 'lovely' dog story. Quite funny in the first half, the way french movies usually are, you have a smile. Then, things get an unexpected [?] turn. I liked it. Watched it on Netflix, from the Studiocanal archive, which mostly are good movies compared with most modern shit. - Netflix advertizes the 12YO -probably even less- boy as "young neonazi" ! Here we are ...

“ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες”
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Overkill user

« Reply #3256 on: March 11, 2022, 09:26:04 PM »

Baxter (1989) : French movie. Baxter is a bull terrier and we watch his story with his narrative. Coming from a shelter Baxter changes a couple of homes / families before he finds "someone like him", as he tells us. A 12YO [?] boy who is obsessed with Hitler, especially his final days, and building his bunker in the near junkyard wasteland. So, it's not the usual 'lovely' dog story. Quite funny in the first half, the way french movies usually are, you have a smile. Then, things get an unexpected [?] turn. I liked it. Watched it on Netflix, from the Studiocanal archive, which mostly are good movies compared with most modern shit. - Netflix advertizes the 12YO -probably even less- boy as "young neonazi" ! Here we are ...

I recently heard about this film and am trying to remember where. Thanks for the review, you've confirmed my interest!

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Overkill user

« Reply #3257 on: March 16, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »

Since Elden Ring released I've had no time for movies except one...
Graveyard of Honor - [dir. Kinji Fukasaku, 1975] - got my buddy the arrow bluray for Christmas but I can't really compare to the old transfer because it's been at least a decade since I've watched this and my last viewing I was definitely drunk. But unsurprisingly this looks and sounds great. The film itself and the main character are just as unhinged as I remember. Basically the antithesis of Shinoda's Pale Flower, but I like this almost as much. A lot of fun but it can be a tad confusing with all the time skips and large cast of characters. But if you want to watch someone completely blow up their life with violence, drugs and gambling, this is an enjoyable portrait.

Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #3258 on: May 10, 2022, 12:55:29 AM »

Shut Up Little Man: An Audio Misadventure

A fascinating documentary about two twenty-somethings who decide to record the violent rants/fights of the drunk old men living in the apartment next door, and accidentaly create a pre-Internet viral cultural event in the process.  (Example audio: https://youtu.be/dRJVR6evsRU) Very entertaining, and only the highest recommendations.

They talk in the movie about the tapes they recorded being spread across the United States during the 1980s, so I was wondering whether anyone here encountered them in circulation?
monster ripper

« Reply #3259 on: May 10, 2022, 03:51:41 PM »

They talk in the movie about the tapes they recorded being spread across the United States during the 1980s, so I was wondering whether anyone here encountered them in circulation?

Yeah, I used to have some.  Tape trading in the '80s wasn't just about sound, a lot of weird shit made the rounds, like the "red/tube bar" tapes, and recordings of famous people loosing there shit and swearing that got edited out of radio shows etc.  (similar to what Negativland used some on "the letter u and the numeral 2") or even just weird local radio adds, pretty much anything unusual would be thrown on a mix tape and sent off. 
Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #3260 on: May 10, 2022, 08:13:48 PM »

Yeah, I used to have some.  Tape trading in the '80s wasn't just about sound, a lot of weird shit made the rounds, like the "red/tube bar" tapes, and recordings of famous people loosing there shit and swearing that got edited out of radio shows etc.  (similar to what Negativland used some on "the letter u and the numeral 2") or even just weird local radio adds, pretty much anything unusual would be thrown on a mix tape and sent off. 

Cool!  If you don't mind me asking, what is the general area you are located in?  The movie only talked about tape trading in the US, but I am wondering whether any of their tapes made it to other countries.
monster ripper

« Reply #3261 on: May 15, 2022, 03:12:16 PM »

Cool!  If you don't mind me asking, what is the general area you are located in?  The movie only talked about tape trading in the US, but I am wondering whether any of their tapes made it to other countries.
[/quote]

I'm in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made it to other countries as well
Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #3262 on: May 16, 2022, 06:02:47 AM »

I'm in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made it to other countries as well
[/quote]

I certainly hope that they did!
Fistfuck Masonanie
user

« Reply #3263 on: May 28, 2022, 04:02:17 AM »

Quick heads up that Tetsuo: The Iron Man is up on Shudder as well as Body Hammer.
FallOfNature
user

« Reply #3264 on: June 14, 2022, 07:43:49 AM »

Amazonia : The Catherine Miles Story

Late entry into the Italian cannibal genre. Mostly a boring drama, with a few scenes that are staple to the genre, gruesome killings and such. Not particularly worth a second watch.

Snowtown
Third watch for me. Can still remember people leaving the cinema when I first saw this over a decade ago. The bleakness and hopelessness of everything in this film is fantastic, director nailed the borderline poverty and dull living of low level income Australian's in the 90's perfectly. The infamous scenes are done really well and realistically too. I sampled this movie heavily some years ago for a split that never happened.
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #3265 on: June 14, 2022, 02:12:02 PM »

Snowtown

Just yesterday I was thinking about how good this film is.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
AdamLehrerImageMaker

« Reply #3266 on: June 15, 2022, 05:56:45 PM »

Gaspar Nóe's 'Vortex' is an extraordinary masterpiece. I wrote about it here: https://compactmag.com/article/the-vindication-of-gaspar-noe

Cronenberg's 'Crimes of the Future' is an intriguing return to form, but unsure if it's a classic yet. I wrote about it here: https://safetypropaganda.substack.com/p/10-observations-on-crimes-of-the?s=w
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 [218]
  Print  

Jump to: