Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FallOfNature

Rewatching classic Universal Monsters stuff, started with Dracula. Last night however was Cobra, 80's action nonsense with Stallone. Great stuff.

A lot of friends are doing this 31 days of Halloween thing. 31 horror flicks for the month of October. Too busy to sit down for that amount and I'm away for the remainder of the month, but I got through a couple;
Pumpkinhead 2-4 (actually tolerable!)
New zombie efforts from Bruno Mattei; Island of the Living Dead and Zombies: The Beginning (both unwatchable GARBAGE)
Splatter University (ultra dull slasher)
Pet Sematary 2018 (Ok)
Just Before Dawn (good stuff!)

bitewerksMTB

The Oily Maniac, Burial Ground, a handful of Godzilla movies on Turner Classic Movies. I think tonight will be the Blue Underground release of New York Ripper. Halloween night will be City of the Living Dead.

Right now, it's Outcast series on Cinemax about exorcism. Credits say it's based on something by Robert 'Walking Dead' Kirkman. Not very interesting, so far.

DSOL

The Wax Mask- Fulci/Argento. decent movie with some great special effects. some cool kills. streaming on Shudder right now

Haunt - another film streaming on Shudder. decent slasher with some already kill scenes. plot makes no sense and whatnot but I guess that the aura of a decent slasher, recommended if you have Shudder and are looking to watch a fun/decent movie

Marauders- shitty action film starting Christopher Meloni, Bruce Willis and Dave Bautista.
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

holy ghost

Quote from: DSOL on October 28, 2019, 04:06:31 PMstreaming on Shudder right now

Just signed up for a trial week. Looking for some stuff I haven't seen so I appreciate it. I love how they have a whole Creepshow series and can only get Creepshow 2......

I dunno if I'll keep it - there is not a ton of content so far, and I went to watch Deep Red last night and it's the version missing like 22 minutes. I am enjoying the Eli Roth horror series which I did not actually think I would.

bitewerksMTB

Hide and Go Shriek- obscure slasher from 1988 that is fairly mundane other than a cool setting (furniture store-warehouse after hours) & a killer that isn't quite your stereotype slasher. None of the kills are all that hot other than one decapitation involving an elevator. Definitely a film for slasher completists or if you find it cheap. Code Red released it in the U.S. & 88 Films in the U.K. which is the release I found cheap on eBay.

moozz

The Burning
Early '80s slasher classic. For some reason I never saw this one until now. Not that much happening until about 40min into the movie except awesome eightiesness and Jason Alexander (aka George Costanza of Seinfeld) but once the killing properly begins it's great. Hail Tom Savini. Has a definite Friday the 13th vibe to it.

The Killing Of Satan
Early '80s fantasy film from the Philippines. The English dub of this one is the laziest ever. Totally zero emotion. I never heard the original language track of this movie and I assume the dub is made the same way as the original. The second half of the movie has some mind-boggling "special" effects and sequences that are totally worth it if you can appreciate the more turkey/B aspects of cinema.

bitewerksMTB

Madman- pretty good backwoods slasher with some atmosphere & gory killings. The first time I watched this movie, it didn't make much of an impression on me but this time around, I enjoyed it quite a bit. There's a great hanging and a couple splattery decapitations. Seems like when this came out on vhs, it was dark you could not see shit.

Gefühlloser

I figure because it's popular I'll ask:

Did anyone here have any interest whatsoever in seeing Joker? Everyone is making this huge deal about it being representative of psychological bullying and physical abuse towards someone leading them into the descent of madness, and committing violent acts like the Dayton shooter or whatever.

I think what is odd about it though, is that it took Hollywood to make a really stupid film about a clown (everyone that admires the film was making fun of mentally ill teens dressing as Joker and Harley Quinn just yesterday) from an overdone comic book series, in a way that isn't actually the original story, for people to have this conversation, lol. To me it's just Hollywood banking on the boom in "incel culture", and in the increase in discussions about bullying, and making everyone to feel sorry for these people so that Hollywood can profit. Some ridiculous people are even saying that Joker represents the H'WHITE man in his own country these days. Some madman that has a feminine laugh because he had his gonads cut off, and so everything is CLOWN WORLD. When it comes to that then you know society is legitimately screwed for good this time.

Power Electronics has been dealing with these subjects for decades. Hell, just watch ANY documentary on ANY serial killer on youtube. Every single one of those killers were sexually abused, or treated like shit as a kid. If the real discussion is to be had on the psychology of the matter, why on Earth would a film like Joker be the one that finally breaks the ice?

Still, did anyone see it?

cr

Had lots of drunken fun watching Norsemen series 1+2 in the last days. Too bad Frøya had to die at the end. She and Arvid are my new romantic dream couple of any movie...

By the way, don't take me too serious!

ConcreteMascara

"Slugs" - dir. Juan Piquer Simon

on Tuesday I watched this for the first time with my buddy and what a film it was!  first off, slugs and other slithery critters are cool be default so I expected to like this. I thought plot and pacing-wise this would be all over the place given the insanity of "Pieces", the only other film I've seen by the director, but this was actually fairly competent as far as plot and development go. however, the dialogue is still pretty crazy and a lot of the performances are delivered with maximum effort. it's a weird combo of intense and goofy. but it this dynamic helps move along the less exciting parts which keeps the movie from being a bore. the sfx for the slug kills and the ridiculous final 10 minutes are particularly note-worthy.  apparently the film has already been released by Arrow on Bluray and is getting issued in the US next month.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Gefühlloser

Quote from: cr on October 31, 2019, 05:08:19 PM
Had lots of drunken fun watching Norsemen series 1+2 in the last days. Too bad Frøya had to die at the end. She and Arvid are my new romantic dream couple of any movie...

By the way, don't take me too serious!

Haha, I watched that series up until now. It's all of the bad misrepresentations of Nordic culture into one. Entertaining, but totally useless. I feel like Jarl Varg is the representation of every evil bald headed dark ambient fucker with a hood on in a historical setting.

bitewerksMTB

Halloween night was Fulci's City of the Living Dead- the Arrow UK release looks great despite a few outdoor scenes being heavy in grain that lasts for seconds. All the disgusting worms, blood, grue, guts, & filth look great!

I think it was the same night I watched Ti West's In a Valley of Violence which is just Ethan Hawke trying to be Clint Eastwood. Too long but okay, I guess, if there's nothing else to watch.

I wonder why there is no current Blu-ray release of House of the Devil? I remember it being decent other than how the old lady looks (should have been more creepy decrepit old instead of down syndrome-ish).

Slugs is dumb fun & the Arrow bd has been out for quite a while. I have yet to come across a low-priced copy. I do think I have the Shaun Hutson novel.

online prowler

Lot's of interesting mentions here that I will make a note of. Thanks for the shares. Particular curious about the new Arrow edition of City Of The Living Dead. The noose dangling priest scene is pure gold and the film music is genious - well worth the disc purchase alone.

Haven't been tuned for feature lenght films off late. Mostly watching series here and there. Loading through It's Always Sunny In Philly again, still holds. Not all the episodes shine, but this is mostly due to one of the premisses of the series that focus on one or few sets like a rom-com - which in script terms may feel repetitive at times. However, but by the overall acting, character porgression and bizarre twists-turns I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Danny DeVito is doing one hell of a job alone. Man's born with comedic timing.

Have seen a few films last weeks that are worth a howl here, both issued by Arrow Video. First is the newly launched The Dead Center - a claustrophobic and slow creep of an end of days thriller-horror. Check the trailer online. Also plunged into the new bluray edition of The Thing. Of course no need to introduce this finest hour film by Carpenter. The newly restored picture quality was quite good, maybe a bit too polishied? Have a question mark on a few seconds in the Norwegian helicopter scene in the beginning. Looked like it was a bit too over-processed at times?

holy ghost

Watchmen (HBO): So far 10/10 and I'm loving it. Huge fan of the comic and of the film.

The Politician: it's okay. Kids are horrible.

MIDSOMMAR: 10/10 holy fuck, I loved every second of it. Huge Wicker Man vibes but added it's own touch. Incredible.

American Horror Story: might be the most low key awesome season yet (except for the one with Lady Gaga). Totally ridiculous.

AbstractVenom

Quote from: holy ghost on November 05, 2019, 03:09:20 AM
Watchmen (HBO): So far 10/10 and I'm loving it. Huge fan of the comic and of the film.

The Politician: it's okay. Kids are horrible.

MIDSOMMAR: 10/10 holy fuck, I loved every second of it. Huge Wicker Man vibes but added it's own touch. Incredible.

American Horror Story: might be the most low key awesome season yet (except for the one with Lady Gaga). Totally ridiculous.

Midsommar is an unbridled masterpiece.  Can't wait to see what Ari Aster produces next.