Special Interest
November 20, 2019, 01:23:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 693903 times)
A-Z
moderate user

« Reply #2805 on: October 06, 2019, 10:10:29 PM »

went to see joker because my wife wanted to
Joaquin Phoenix did a great job
other than that it is an attempt to produce Taxi Driver, but based on an IP aimed at junior schoolers
quite predictably, did not work out too well
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2806 on: October 06, 2019, 11:28:50 PM »

Last night at home was The Hills Have Eyes and today at the cinema was Cannibal Holocaust.

2/2 would repeat.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Balor/SS1535
moderate user

« Reply #2807 on: October 08, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »

went to see joker because my wife wanted to
Joaquin Phoenix did a great job
other than that it is an attempt to produce Taxi Driver, but based on an IP aimed at junior schoolers
quite predictably, did not work out too well

I really want to see this movie , but your review seems to be the standard (a few newspapers that I read said the same).  It's a shame that the rest of the move apparently could not live up to the quality of Phoenix's acting abilities.
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2808 on: October 08, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »

Zeiram - 1991 [dir. Keita Amemiya]
I don't even know how I stumbled upon this films existence but I was buying a DVD of it and it's sequel within a week. Just when I think I know a thing or two about Japanese obscure cinema I find new rabbit holes to dive into. Oh what a glorious information age it is. Anyways, the film plays like a live action anime, although the related anime actually came after; not too far from what Guillermo del Toro's take on The Terminator might look like, but with some HR Giger and Tetsuo the Iron Man influence. The visual effects and aesthetics of the film fucking rule but everything else just barely exists to support them. the heroine is a qt with some personality, the other human characters aren't the worst and the big baddie absolutely rules. he exists to consume and kill and look cool doing it. a perfect bio weapon with a tentacle penis mini-head in his head. it's great if you like goop, early '90s cyberpunk and seeing drum machines used as teleporters and shit. by traditional film critic criteria it fails, but if you just want to enjoy a weird world with cool 90s electronic music and Japanese shit, you'll be satisfied. hoping to watch the sequel tonight.

the anime is better than the live action movie imo

zeiram is fun for all the reasons you mention tho
NaturalOrthodoxy
user

« Reply #2809 on: October 09, 2019, 05:20:48 PM »

It's a shame that the rest of the move apparently could not live up to the quality of Phoenix's acting abilities.

pretty much my review. It was definitely super influenced by Taxi Driver, and also David Berkowitz too I think. There is some awfully unnecessary exposition as well, and a totally superfluous final scene. Overall better than it needed to be for a comic book franchise movie though

Balor/SS1535
moderate user

« Reply #2810 on: October 10, 2019, 10:04:00 PM »

It's a shame that the rest of the move apparently could not live up to the quality of Phoenix's acting abilities.

pretty much my review. It was definitely super influenced by Taxi Driver, and also David Berkowitz too I think. There is some awfully unnecessary exposition as well, and a totally superfluous final scene. Overall better than it needed to be for a comic book franchise movie though

I guess that as long as it turned out better than you would have though, then it would be worth seeing.  I would still like to watch it, though hearing it fall short of the masterpiece it purported to be is disappointing.
martialgodmask
Heavy user

« Reply #2811 on: October 11, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »

I guess that as long as it turned out better than you would have though, then it would be worth seeing.  I would still like to watch it, though hearing it fall short of the masterpiece it purported to be is disappointing.

It is worth seeing, the more I reflect on it the more I think I enjoyed it.

Hype movies are always setup to fall from a great height and this one is no exception, but I think it can be viewed on different levels depending what you personally want to get out of seeing it. It's miles ahead of superhero garbage but will always carry the stigma of being from the pages of a comic book. It's not aimed at kids, it's not even specifcally aimed at Batman fans.

I would be interested to know if it was made as a noir-thriller with no ties to anything (i.e. just a downward-spiralling guy struggling with life who happens to work as a clown) if it would be receiving the same reception. Maybe it would lose some of its audience, but maybe it would benefit from being unshackled from its "universe".

aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2812 on: October 11, 2019, 11:54:26 AM »

it's a pretty good movie it's just not as good as it thinks it is. bit pleased with itself. apparently they're doing a sequel

in other possibly more interesting news nicholas refn is making a maniac cop tv series!
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2813 on: October 11, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »

Had an amazing experience last night at the restoration screening of Crash during Festival du nouveau cinéma in Montreal, with Cronenberg in attendance for Q&A.

Montreal, QC

ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2814 on: October 11, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »

Had an amazing experience last night at the restoration screening of Crash during Festival du nouveau cinéma in Montreal, with Cronenberg in attendance for Q&A.

I am in constant envy of the films you get to see in theaters. Crash is a masterpiece.

absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2815 on: October 11, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

I am in constant envy of the films you get to see in theaters. Crash is a masterpiece.

Definitely feel pretty lucky sometimes. I saw a few things in Vancouver while I lived there but Montreal has been great for this. Toronto is the real hot spot in Canada tho.

Montreal, QC

Balor/SS1535
moderate user

« Reply #2816 on: October 12, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »

I would be interested to know if it was made as a noir-thriller with no ties to anything (i.e. just a downward-spiralling guy struggling with life who happens to work as a clown) if it would be receiving the same reception. Maybe it would lose some of its audience, but maybe it would benefit from being unshackled from its "universe".

I think that there would be a good chance that making the movie that way would have turned out better.  You get to keep the interesting premise without being tied down by the expectations of fans or the restraints imposed by previous incarnations of the character.
bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2817 on: October 12, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »

The Devil's Bride, The Blood on Satan's Claw, & some of Curse of the Demon.

Did anyone catch Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal  on Cartoon Network? It was pretty good. Lots of bloody dinosaur-caveman battles.

moozz
user

« Reply #2818 on: October 15, 2019, 11:13:26 AM »

Would any one be able to tell me from which movie this image is from:

This image is the best part of the Cancer Spreading/Drunkards split 7". Looks like Russ Meyer's version of Mad Max!
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2819 on: October 15, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »

Moozz, I don't know what that image is from but those are some big ol titties, so now I want to know too.

Some this October I've watched only 1 horror movie all month. Normally I watch 3 a week or something close so I don't know what gives. to make up for it I watched Halloween 2 and Halloween (2018) with my girlfriend on Sunday.

Halloween 2 - I love this movie just as much as the original Halloween. it's all dead body art, nurse titties and children being killed and maimed. literally couldn't ask for more, but then it gives you a man on fire scene at the end.

Halloween (2018) - second time seeing this and it's still a 3/5 at best for me. some of the violence is wonderfully brutal, especially the whole gas station bathroom scene. but the last 30 minutes it all falls apart and there's some characters and twists that should've been cut for a tighter film. also, I'm pretty sure a Winchester 45 Long Colt is a lousy close quarters weapon and it's pretty dumb to walk into rooms to check them if you can just flip a switch and seal them without checking. but what do i know. I will say I really enjoy the between scene dialogue though. especially the two cops talking about the lunches they pack.

then last night I watched Shin'ya Tsukamoto's Tokyo Fist for the first time, despite it not being a horror movie. even though I had a mediocre rip of the film and my dog kept pestering me every 15 minutes to play, I could only submit to this films sheer excellence. I know some people here recommended it to me a while ago and all I can say is thank you. it's easy to say it's just Tetsuo: The Body Hammer but with boxing, but its so much better than that! the pacing, the visuals, the violence, the impotent rage and sexual politics. soooooooo good. got to get my hands on a Bluray copy to see it properly.

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 [188] 189 190 191
  Print  

Jump to: