Special Interest
August 23, 2019, 04:34:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 642938 times)
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2730 on: July 03, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »

going to see Midsommar tonight - really looking forward to it since Hereditary was one of the better horror movies to come out in the last 5 years

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2731 on: July 03, 2019, 05:12:24 PM »

last night was my first viewing of "Peopletoys" aka "Devil Times Five" aka "The Horrible House on the Hill" from 1974. a "killer children" film that was a lot of fun despite some highly annoying editing decisions. especially a 5+ minute kill scene in sepia tone and slow motion that was engaging as watching paint dry. I don't want to spoil anything but the kills get very creative after the first, there are some grade A titties and the children are absolutely ruthless. also my personal favorite effect in any film, there's a man on fire sequence. actually a woman in this one. ANY movie that has a man on fire sequence gets a big ratings bump from me. it's a lot of fun and definitely worth a watch.

Monday night was "Superstition" aka "The Witch" from 1982. This one also had some awesome kills but the brutally bad acting combined with the shoe-string budget made it difficult to get through in one sitting. all the elements of a better schlock film are there but it just doesn't come together all the way. however, more than one priest dies an gory fashion so I can't totally disregard it. but of the two, my recommendation is definitely for "Peopletoys".

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2732 on: July 03, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »

"...a 5+ minute kill scene in sepia tone and slow motion that was engaging as watching paint dry"

What?!? That's the best scene in the whole movie! If you're so inclined, the Blu-ray looks much better than the dvd. I grabbed a copy when Screen Archives or DiabolikDVD had it on sale.

I haven't watched anything lately. Pre-ordered two movies I've never heard of from Mondo Macabro: Killer of Dolls and Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death.
A-Z

« Reply #2733 on: July 04, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »

Carne de tu carne (1983)
can't find a way to describe the plot without spoiling too much
wiki labels the directors other film as 'Tropical gothic' and that label fits this one pretty well too
deep dark powers of the psyche unleashed in 1950s Colombia yadda yadda yadda
'dedicated to Roman Polanski and Roger Corman' by the director, and both influences are very evident in the film
I'd also add Ken Russel to the list
technically limited at times, but original, stylish, smart, well written and well acted
unequivocal thumbs up!

holy ghost
Heavy user

« Reply #2734 on: July 04, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »

Started watching Years and Years last night. I thought they did a great job of capturing the “dystopian future” we’re all expecting. It seemed almost like a overly complicated Black Mirror episode at first but by the end of episode one I was hooked. Looking forward to the rest of them.
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2735 on: July 05, 2019, 03:59:03 PM »

Midsommar was not as good as Hereditary (which I give a 10/10) but was still a good movie. would give it a 8/10

cr
Diehard user

« Reply #2736 on: July 05, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »

Thanks all for those recommended series. Will try to watch most of them. Not sure about Sabrina to be honest, haha. But I must admit I also watched some episodes many years ago, and yes, I think it was funny... In my opinion, only regular Sabrina watchers can get the full edgelord PE points!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:56:14 PM by cr » Logged
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2737 on: July 05, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »

the new Sabrina show/series is completely different than the original - much darker and not very "kid" friendly. I watched both seasons (so far) and thought it was decent for what it was, which is just basically a teen drama with a lot of dark/satanic/witchcraft overtones...unless Holy Ghost is talking about the original series - then just ignore this

cr
Diehard user

« Reply #2738 on: July 05, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »

I liked Hereditary as well, so now I'm really interested in Midsommar.
cr
Diehard user

« Reply #2739 on: July 05, 2019, 06:55:31 PM »

the new Sabrina show/series is completely different than the original - much darker and not very "kid" friendly. I watched both seasons (so far) and thought it was decent for what it was, which is just basically a teen drama with a lot of dark/satanic/witchcraft overtones...unless Holy Ghost is talking about the original series - then just ignore this

Ah ok, then sorry for my ignorance. I didn't know there was a new Sabrina series, I only know the one from the end of the nineties.
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2740 on: July 05, 2019, 07:11:54 PM »

I liked Hereditary as well, so now I'm really interested in Midsommar.

highly recommended

Theodore
Heavy user

« Reply #2741 on: July 09, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »

Two from Jess Franco with Soledad Miranda beauty, Vampyros Lesbos and Eugenie de Sade (1973) -aka Eugenie Sex Happening- . I like Eugenie better. Better movie, story and Soledad more sexy in the role of daughter.

“ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες”
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #2742 on: July 09, 2019, 03:29:07 PM »

Eugenie de Sade (1973)

This one is great.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2743 on: July 09, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »

saw "Midsommar" over the weekend and I really enjoyed it as well. as someone who has taken a lot of mushrooms and LSD over the years, I think they conveyed tripping pretty successfully without going over the top. visually the film is a pleasure and the gore is top-notch. I didn't find any of the characters to be sympathetic so I enjoyed what came to them that much more. final verdict, if you like "The Wicker Man" but want those hippy-dippy vibes out of it, this is the movie for you.

Acne
moderate user

« Reply #2744 on: July 10, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »

saw "Midsommar" over the weekend and I really enjoyed it as well. as someone who has taken a lot of mushrooms and LSD over the years, I think they conveyed tripping pretty successfully without going over the top. visually the film is a pleasure and the gore is top-notch. I didn't find any of the characters to be sympathetic so I enjoyed what came to them that much more. final verdict, if you like "The Wicker Man" but want those hippy-dippy vibes out of it, this is the movie for you.

sound editing/score was awesome as well - haxan cloak really getting noisy with some strings

(\__/) ╔═.♥.═════════════════════════╗
(>'.'<)  Ⓔⓥⓔⓡⓨⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓘⓢ ⓐⓦⓔⓢⓞⓜⓔ
(“)_(”)╚═════════════════════════.♥.═╝
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186
  Print  

Jump to: