Special Interest
October 23, 2019, 01:43:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... 189
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 674436 times)
Balor/SS1535, MyrtleLake and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Theodore
Heavy user

« Reply #2595 on: April 23, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »

Buffalo '66 : Total waste of time ! I should know from the first 10 minutes where we watch the guy running around to find a toilet to piss, in i ll piss my pants condition, while there are fields and parkings, and streets are empty. Before he finally finds relief, he kidnapped a woman to present it as his wife to his parents.

The Wailing : S.Korean horror / thriller. Evil movie ! Sickness, murders, zombie-like people, shamanic exorcisms in a village. Not telling more. Took me some time to get used to the acting which even horror scenes made them look funny at first. Not sure if this was on purpose or just different cultures. Anyway, things get really serious to laugh at them. What i liked more is that movie made me feel that this is not something unreal or pure fantasy, that is something natural and can happen or happened already. Many great scenes, images ! The end left me with some questions but dont know if i would like any clear answers. I think is better as is. It's a long movie, 150 min. Definitely worth watching. If you havent, do !

“ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες”
Strangecross
moderate user

« Reply #2596 on: April 23, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »

OHM+ the early gurus of electronic music DVD 2005 2 and a half hours of archival footage

Overall- a sort of mis-guided DVD that feels too much like NYC MOMA, but some REALLY good takeaways- I will just comment on the good tracks on this DVD. You would be better off seeking out the uncut performances and interviews, but i guess if this DVD was found for cheap, like i found, it is a lot less effort

Clara Rockmore I don't know if this is the best Theremin music i've seen, or if its just really cool to see a decadent old lady doing it. I never thought Theremin could work this well in non-noise, this piece called 'Hebrew Melody" and is a live recording in intimate setting in a mansion or something with people like Robert Moog there.
Jean-Claude Risset video is better than sound but i guess its the first use of FM synthesis
Steve Reicha pioneer, but they choose a work from 2004. its ok, video loops, some cool graphics like GX Jupiter Larsen stuff, and some not. Good themes of cloning and cyborgs.
Holger Czukay Floatspace this is sick, indoor fireworks, at least this capture of footage is really appealing and some sounds almost dark ambient by ARP odyssey.

Bebe Barron Great Interview segment- apparently the Forbidden Planet soundtrack was composed of sounds from living circuits-Cybernetic tape music.

Leon Theremin Leon giving a private in home Theremin lesson to Paul Lansky. Same lesson was given to Lenin.

Iannis Xenakis nothing special
Milton Babbit He describes working on the first synthesizers

David Behrman music with melody-driven electronics 1975. K-hole-esque video with Chelsea Girls type multiple frames and utilizing mirrors. Spaced out jam with 3 guys in cowboy hats even sheriff badge, some homemade electronics. very nice.

Laurie Spiegel never seen a Alles Synth before, 1977 bell telephone labs. not a great composition.

John Chowning Nice explanation with graphs of the Stria composition which is sort of a negative version of golden ratio music.

Robert Ashley weird in a good way i guess

Alvin Lucier 1965 solo,  Using Air Force brainwave research equipment he uses he brain waves to play percussion, including timpani. waves seem to flare up if he presses on he closed eyelids, i think i've seen this before but it was nice to see again.

Robert Moog short excerpt from moog documentary

FallOfNature
user

« Reply #2597 on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »

Had enough time to waste this week so I ticked off a few from the watchlist;

You Were Never Really Here
I was expecting some kind of Taken/The Equalizer type film with a bit of film-noir atmosphere with this one. While I wasn't 1000 miles away , this was far more psychological drama than I expected. A bit underwhelmed at first partly to the lack of brutal violence that might be implied, but kept me thinking long after it'd finished. Good, and I'll probably watch it again.

Hereditary
Didn't completely hate this like I predicted. Above average but still just ok. Watched it back to back with The Nun which probably made it seem alot better, as I lost interest in that after 30 mins.

Bad Day for the Cut
Nice surprise with this one. Indie revenge thriller set in Ireland.

On a side note picked up the blu ray for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpY5QZSAqE NZ horror film that was banned in my state for a long time. Never even heard of it.
Andrew McIntosh
Overkill user

« Reply #2598 on: April 24, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »

OHM+ the early gurus of electronic music DVD 2005 2 and a half hours of archival footage

It's an odd one, that one. A funny cross section of bits and pieces seemingly culled from anywhere (that "Dust Bunny" animation was just bullshit). My favourite would have been the David Behrman excerpt, would love to see/hear the whole thing.

"Unless suffering is the direct and immediate object of life, our existence must entirely fail of its aim." - Schopenhauer.
Sadomaniac
user

« Reply #2599 on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »

On a side note picked up the blu ray for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpY5QZSAqE NZ horror film that was banned in my state for a long time. Never even heard of it.

Few comments on Death Warmed Up back here:

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=83.msg72479#msg72479
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2600 on: April 24, 2019, 08:35:30 PM »

You Were Never Really Here was one of the best movies released last year imo
Strangecross
moderate user

« Reply #2601 on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »

Death Warmed Up is another good one altho it's from new zealand (same thing). it's from 1984 and about a guy who is brainwashed to kill his parents by a mad scientist, gets locked up in a mental asylum for 7 years, and then gets out and goes to take revenge on the mad scientist who is now living on a remote island doing experiments on humans. it has zombies, motorbikes, and a lot of gore
oh, was that the plot?
aububs
Heavy user

« Reply #2602 on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »

Death Warmed Up is another good one altho it's from new zealand (same thing). it's from 1984 and about a guy who is brainwashed to kill his parents by a mad scientist, gets locked up in a mental asylum for 7 years, and then gets out and goes to take revenge on the mad scientist who is now living on a remote island doing experiments on humans. it has zombies, motorbikes, and a lot of gore
oh, was that the plot?

i guess so

been a long time since i saw it
EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2603 on: April 29, 2019, 05:49:38 AM »

Might contains spoilers (but it's not like it is some very important shit like GoT or A:Endgame so don't worry too much):

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - Charming and enjoyable comedic horror that is so 80s it will make you puke hairspray or something. It has it's own pesonality, but beware because it's that of a 16 year old smartass white nerd, but in the end the annoying bits are always left behind fast and replaced by cool stuff and true love for the horror genre, to the point of being extremely silly with it.

JIGOKU - Psychdelic gore melodrama. Lots of screaming and jazz, and sometimes screaming over jazz, and a little more screaming. Religion meets LSD on a japanese "mexican soap opera". AKA Shiro Must Suffer And Everyone Is a Miserable Sack of Shit. Pretty good stuff but I haven't fully digested it (and perhaps never will) but two things are sure: 1) It is a very powerful movie and even if it reaches absurd levels that make you laugh it also punches you in the stomach a lot 2) The rules to go to hell are not so clear so basically everyone and their unborn babies are fucked.
acsenger
Heavy user

« Reply #2604 on: April 29, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »

Watched both Blade Runner movies over the last couple days. I absolutely love both. The visuals and atmosphere are stunning, and the soundtrack of 2049 is also great (although I don’t have a problem with the Vangelis soundtrack of the first movie either).
And of course, the story is excellent. I generally don’t care for sci-fi, but I’ll have to read the Philip K. Dick novel on which B.R. is based.
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2605 on: April 29, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »

went on a Tommy Lee Jones kick and watched Volcano, No Country for Old Men, Double Jeopardy, The Fugitive & U.S. Marshals

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2606 on: April 29, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »

Watched both Blade Runner movies over the last couple days. I absolutely love both. The visuals and atmosphere are stunning, and the soundtrack of 2049 is also great (although I don’t have a problem with the Vangelis soundtrack of the first movie either).
And of course, the story is excellent. I generally don’t care for sci-fi, but I’ll have to read the Philip K. Dick novel on which B.R. is based.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is not one of PK Dick's best works and it's very different in many ways from the movies. I think this is one of the few examples where the adaptation is better than the source. But PK Dick has a lot of other really good books so don't let DADoES? keep you away. I think there might even be a thread about the Dick here on the boards. he's definitely been covered in the "now reading" thread.

holy ghost
Heavy user

« Reply #2607 on: April 29, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is not one of PK Dick's best works and it's very different in many ways from the movies. I think this is one of the few examples where the adaptation is better than the source. But PK Dick has a lot of other really good books so don't let DADoES? keep you away. I think there might even be a thread about the Dick here on the boards. he's definitely been covered in the "now reading" thread.

I enjoyed it but probably would have liked it more had I not seen and been such a huge fan of the film which I agree - totally different and more enjoyable than the book - A Scanner Darkly and Man In The High Castle are my top PKD choices. I still need to see the new BR film, boy have I slept on that!
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2608 on: April 29, 2019, 04:07:54 PM »

Might contains spoilers (but it's not like it is some very important shit like GoT or A:Endgame so don't worry too much):

JIGOKU - Psychdelic gore melodrama. Lots of screaming and jazz, and sometimes screaming over jazz, and a little more screaming. Religion meets LSD on a japanese "mexican soap opera". AKA Shiro Must Suffer And Everyone Is a Miserable Sack of Shit. Pretty good stuff but I haven't fully digested it (and perhaps never will) but two things are sure: 1) It is a very powerful movie and even if it reaches absurd levels that make you laugh it also punches you in the stomach a lot 2) The rules to go to hell are not so clear so basically everyone and their unborn babies are fucked.

Which Jigoku did you watch? the 1960 Nobuo Nakagawa version or the 1999 Teruo Ishii remake? I haven't seen either but the original always tempts me when Criterion has a sale and the later is one of Ishii's last films. I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

Speaking of Ishii, last night I finished The Blind Woman's Curse which was one of the most fun movies I've watched in a while. a slap-dash mixture of ghost story, ninkyo eiga and Ishii's brand of weirdness. Things move fast and the plot can be little confusing early on, but if you watch yakuza flicks with any regularity you'll be able to keep up. there's a lot of violence, a fair amount of titties, interesting characters, a weird undefined time period, awesome interior design and trippy panted back drops. oh and of course Meiko Kaji.

a bunch of Teruo Ishii's films are free to stream on Amazon Prime right now, including the The Blind Woman's Curse so if you're interested peep them there.

then my buddy and I watched The Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich which was pretty dang good! I thought the comedy bits were mixed in well enough and there were a couple of unexpected bits that kept things interesting. the original Puppet Master moves at a glacial pace in comparison to this which starts at 50 and goes to 100 within 20 minutes. it's gory as all hell and the dolls are controlled by a Nazi instead of being made by an old Jewish guy, so surely it would win over some of the people here. there's also some nice titties and Barbara Crampton is pretty great in her limited screen time. it's definitely worth a watch!

EXU
moderate user

« Reply #2609 on: April 29, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »

Which Jigoku did you watch? the 1960 Nobuo Nakagawa version or the 1999 Teruo Ishii remake? I haven't seen either but the original always tempts me when Criterion has a sale and the later is one of Ishii's last films. I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

The original, wasn't aware of the the Ishii one, that's a filmmaker I am not familiar at all with. I would go and say it is worth purchasing, it's one of those movies that feels like you did something very important by watching it in a way you can't seem to grasp exactly why, putting aside how ahead of time and unique (even now perhaps) it is. Also psych gore with a lot of screaming and jazz, man.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... 189
  Print  

Jump to: