Special Interest
December 11, 2019, 01:48:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... 192
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.  (Read 705320 times)
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2445 on: December 31, 2018, 04:55:42 PM »

Bird Box - dumb

I was thinking this OK until the last 15 minutes when it completely shit the bed.

I was into it until the ending as well. What the fuck? Like that all worked out nicely innit?

agreed, the ending is what killed the movie

The Nun - I thought it was decent. bunch of jump scenes, not enough of "The Nun" is actually seen in the movie. still cant decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet.

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
A-Z
moderate user

« Reply #2446 on: January 01, 2019, 12:08:29 AM »

Were you already aware of the plot before you saw it?

Luckily I didn't. You're right, it works best this way.

Meanwhile, watched another goodie.

Celia (1989) - an imaginative and lonely 9 y.o. girl growing up in 1950s tries to wrap her mind around adult issues. A coming of age drama with a pretty twisted ending. Much subtler than Der Fan, but actually more disturbing because of that. Totally "minor cult classic" material.

bitewerksMTB
Overkill user

« Reply #2447 on: January 03, 2019, 07:54:07 PM »

Zombie on NYE & last night was Cannibal Holocaust.

Coma Detox
moderate user

« Reply #2448 on: January 04, 2019, 01:04:25 AM »

Over the last few days

Paul Naschy Collection Vol. 1 on Shout! Factory
Sacrifice! aka Man From Deep River
Blood Harvest
Body Melt
Blood Rage
Teenage Prostitution Racket
The Dead Zone
Hardcore (1979)
Buzzard (2014)

Looking forward to Jungle Holocaust finally being released on Blu-Ray by Ronin Flix.  Anyone know anything about the Japanese Blu-Ray release of Romero's Martin?  DiabolikDVD had it for about 10 minutes before it sold out and it's $54.99.  I'm guessing it's just an HD upconvert and not a full restoration?
DSOL
Heavy user

« Reply #2449 on: January 04, 2019, 03:34:43 PM »

The Predator- I don't even know what to say. I had pretty low expectations to begin with, but holy shit. just terrible

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"
A-Z
moderate user

« Reply #2450 on: January 04, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »

Angst (1983) - dude sets out on a killing spree, fucks up in every imaginable way
best way I can describe it is different
not particularly violent or dark or twisted, just very different from what one would typically expect of a serial killer movie
and this is what makes it worth watching
EXU
user

« Reply #2451 on: January 06, 2019, 10:57:09 PM »

Catching up with some top 2018 lists...
A Quiet Place and Upgrade were both highly enjoyable but I don't feel like they need revisits in the future... I fear they just won't hold up so well because the more I think about them the more some things start to bug me and the plot holes appear, while similar movies like Signs and Robocop actually age very well and become better the more you think about. I want to clarify that plot holes are usually not a dealbreaker for me or that much of a problem, some of my favorite movies are pretty sketchy in that matter but not worse because of it.
A-Z
moderate user

« Reply #2452 on: January 08, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »

Veneno para las hadas (1985)
for some reason I keep stumbling upon films about confused girls who do terrible things
this time it's a Mexican one, one girl bullshits another about witchcraft, the latter buys into everything
things end up... you guessed it, pretty fucking bad
not as complex and multi-layered as Celia, but pretty good nevertheless
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #2453 on: January 08, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »

Demon City Shinjuku (1988) - dir. Yoshiaki Kawajiri - watched this one a few years ago. I really enjoy just about everything Kawajiri does, especially the absolutely essential Wicked City, and this is no different. that being said, it's definitely less sexually graphic and violent than some of his other work. don't expect deep characters or writing, this is just fast paced action anime with a horror edge. Still, at only 80 minutes, it's not a bad way to spend your time if you're into '80s and '90s anime.

Bird Box (2018) - at first it didn't seem like the worst thing ever, but as it goes along it just falls completely apart. the sole redeeming quality of the movie is the injuries incurred since by dumbasses trying to re-enact it.

Mandy (2018) - dir. Panos Cosmatos - couldn't help but feel a little disappointed after all the hype. i liked it the least among my friends but some of them really loved it so I enjoyment of this one might be especially subjective? regardless, I'd watch Beyond the Black Rainbow over this any day.

Godzilla (2014) - dir. Gareth Edwards - I had zero expectations for this one and was very pleasantly surprised. is the human drama element weak? absolutely. is the plan to get rid of the kaiju absurd? definitely. does Elizabeth Olsen look like a fish woman? affirmative. but none of that matters because Godzilla looks fucking awesome, barfs fucking lazers in a giant beetles mouth, and generally proves he is in fact king of fucking monsters.

Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2454 on: January 08, 2019, 07:24:48 PM »

Ripley's Game, dir. Liliana Cavani (2002)
          A novel adaptation that actually lives up to the standards of the Patricia Highsmith classic. John Malkovich as a snooty, pretentious sociopath is perfect and especially during the really funny triple-murder scene on the train. Fans of the author should check this out as well as just any action movie buffs. Also features the great Ray Winstone.

Duncan
Heavy user

« Reply #2455 on: January 08, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »

Mandy (2018) - dir. Panos Cosmatos - couldn't help but feel a little disappointed after all the hype. i liked it the least among my friends but some of them really loved it so I enjoyment of this one might be especially subjective? regardless, I'd watch Beyond the Black Rainbow over this any day.

I watched this recently knowing nothing about it besides Nic Cage and that my friends said it was really good.  Going in totally cold I was totally surprised/impressed/laugh out loud bewildered by how the thing pans out, beginning seemingly as an introverted, dreamy relationship movie and ending up in Army of Darkness levels ridiculous murder and bad guys territories.  As ever, Nic Cage looks like he can act but chooses not to and it's aesthetically quite a beautiful movie packed full of visual references to loads of other movies (I think).  Still totally head scratching and ridiculous.
Sadomaniac
user

« Reply #2456 on: January 09, 2019, 01:29:29 AM »

Felt the same way, BtBR blew my mind but this felt a little too OTT for the sake of it. When it comes to recent Cage overacting I prefer Mom and Dad.
Force Neurotic
Heavy user

« Reply #2457 on: January 09, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »

Was kind of surprised to see so many folks mention Beyond the Black Rainbow here - I tried to watch it twice not too long ago and kept falling asleep! I mean, awesome soundtrack, but just had a hard time paying attention. Will check it out again and really commit this time, haha.

brutalist_tapes
user

« Reply #2458 on: January 09, 2019, 09:04:55 PM »

loved the first matrix movie and still do, but i tried to watch the second movie in the series yesterday.. horrible, i had to turn it off in 15 min. so what i wanted to know is if you guys now if the third movie is just as bad? sequels are not always bad, although just very often..

Harvest
Heavy user

« Reply #2459 on: January 09, 2019, 09:56:48 PM »

finally watched Stalker and im kicking myself for not seeing it at the theatre in town a few years back. this is exactly the kind of flicks i enjoy; bizzare, minimal & paranoid.

loved the first matrix movie and still do, but i tried to watch the second movie in the series yesterday.. horrible, i had to turn it off in 15 min. so what i wanted to know is if you guys now if the third movie is just as bad? sequels are not always bad, although just very often..

stick w the first one and animatrix.

Was kind of surprised to see so many folks mention Beyond the Black Rainbow here - I tried to watch it twice not too long ago and kept falling asleep! I mean, awesome soundtrack, but just had a hard time paying attention. Will check it out again and really commit this time, haha.

it's an audio/visual feast but damn is it slim on plot.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... 192
  Print  

Jump to: