Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Last night was Ben Young's Hounds of Love from last year. My friend has been wanting to watch it for months and even though I was pushing to show him Possession this won out. let me say this first, if you're gonna watch it stop reading now. Go into it as blind as possible.

I went into it without knowing anything about it and I'm grateful for that. This movie had my gut in a tight knot after the first twenty minutes or so which did not let up until the bitter end. The way things unfold I really did not know how it would all end which great. It's been a long time since I've been actually surprised by a story.

Highest recommendation! The movie kills it in every department: the acting is A+, the script is minimal and well written, the score and the soundtrack are fucking great, it looks beautiful and the pacing is perfect. It was really great to watch a competently made film instead of the usual schlock i watch.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

david lloyd jones

Will need to wAtch Hounds  again cos on first watch was bored and switched off.
Still doubt it will be a snowtown.

martialgodmask

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 23, 2018, 04:18:24 PM
Last night was Ben Young's Hounds of Love from last year. My friend has been wanting to watch it for months and even though I was pushing to show him Possession this won out. let me say this first, if you're gonna watch it stop reading now. Go into it as blind as possible.

I went into it without knowing anything about it and I'm grateful for that. This movie had my gut in a tight knot after the first twenty minutes or so which did not let up until the bitter end. The way things unfold I really did not know how it would all end which great. It's been a long time since I've been actually surprised by a story.

Highest recommendation! The movie kills it in every department: the acting is A+, the script is minimal and well written, the score and the soundtrack are fucking great, it looks beautiful and the pacing is perfect. It was really great to watch a competently made film instead of the usual schlock i watch.

Thank you, this is now high on my list to see. I only vaguely recognise the name so it had otherwise passed me by.

DLJ - Snowtown is also excellent and will need another viewing soon.

DSOL

started Wild Wild Country on Netflix

had no idea abut this cult or anything related to it. pretty interesting so far
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

bitewerksMTB

Vinegar Syndrome is having a sale & have a couple of limited Blu-ray releases up. One, of which, is the sexploitation film, PETS. I've never seen it but have always wanted to.

I'm currently watching Thunderbolt and Lightfoot starring Clint Eastwood. Caught it in the middle of the film...

online prowler

Nicolas Winding Refn 'TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG' series tba Amazon Video.

teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y--r9q2m0Kk&t=9s

Co-created with writer Ed Brubaker (Westworld, Angel of Death, Vertigo Comics, Dark Horse, DC Comics), the series explores the criminal underbelly of Los Angeles by following characters' existential journeys from being killers to becoming samurais in the City of Angels.

Miles Teller stars along with Jena Malone (The Neon Demon), William "Billy" Baldwin (Backdraft), John Hawkes (Deadwood), Cristina Rodlo (The Condemned), Augusto Aguilera (The Predator), Nell Tiger Free (Game of Thrones), Babs Olusanmokun (The Defenders), and Callie Hernandez (Alien: Covenant).

There is currently no release date for the series, but word is it's due 2018 - 2019.

holy ghost

Killing Eve - BBC - I thought this show was fucking great. Really enjoyable, Sandra Oh is excellent as is the assassin - for "mainstream" TV this is probably the best show I've seen along with Homeland and Fargo..... last episode tonight!

bitewerksMTB

I have the finale on the dvr. For the most part, I like it but some of it is really campy/corny. The assassin is interesting with her weird sense of humour & facial expressions.

Saturday night was the complete, Italian version of Deep Red followed by the splatter classic, Pieces and last night was Kelly's Heroes.

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 29, 2018, 01:28:12 AM
the splatter classic, Pieces

I'm overdue for a rewatch. Did you watch it with Spanish audio or English? I haven't seen the English version but apparently 3 or 4 minutes are cut from it and it has a different score.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

DSOL

followed by the splatter classic, Pieces

actually just picked up a Mortician shirt with the movie poster art on it. sick shirt, sick movie

DSOL

Leatherface meh, some decent gore, decent story line

Tenebrae re-visited this yesterday as I was doing shit around my house

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: absurdexposition on May 29, 2018, 03:28:23 AM
the splatter classic, Pieces

I'm overdue for a rewatch. Did you watch it with Spanish audio or English? I haven't seen the English version but apparently 3 or 4 minutes are cut from it and it has a different score.

I've always watched Pieces in English. I doubt it's cut on the Grindhouse release. I have tried it out in Spanish with the different score & it just didn't 'feel' right. Probably should check it out again. The bad dubbing and some of the dialogue is so out there that subtitles doesn't do it justice.

THE RITA HN

PIECES
I remember worshipping the old Vestron VHS forever.  Bought a used copy from the 'Overwaitea' grocery store which still rented VHS tapes in Kelowna.  First time I saw the uncut was on 35mm!  Mind blowing.  Like finally seeing DEATH LAID AN EGG on 35mm and seeing stuff NO ONE has seen yet.  Eurotrash fans looking at each other in the theatre totally mindfucked.  
But yeah, seeing the original Spanish version of PIECES was also crazy.  I remember some things making more sense in the Spanish edit as well.
Nothing still compares to finally seeing the uncut of MY BLOODY VALENTINE though - actually seeing slasher genre history completely re-written simply because of some vicious uncut scenes finally unearthed.

ConcreteMascara

Last night was Stuart Gordon's Dagon.

Admittedly I'm not the biggest Stuart Gordon fan. I always have a little trouble with horror that mixes with humor re Re-Animator or Evil Dead, I really have to be in the mood for it. So I had low expectations of this one because it came out some 10-15 years after Gorodn's best movies and most Lovecraft based  films suck hard.  Happily I was in for a very pleasant surprise because aside from some very dodgy CGI, this was a damn good film. First off it's a retelling of "Shadow over Innsmouth" and not "Dagon", which is a better and more fully realized story. Second the practical effects were great. And even though there's sometimes a slightly goofy vibe, it's balanced by some absolutely brutal death scenes and an pervasive atmosphere damp, slimy, genetic degeneration. Honestly I liked this one more than any other Stuart Gordon film and it's one of the best Lovecraft based films I've seen. So check it out!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

DSOL

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 01, 2018, 04:54:55 PM
Last night was Stuart Gordon's Dagon.

Admittedly I'm not the biggest Stuart Gordon fan. I always have a little trouble with horror that mixes with humor re Re-Animator or Evil Dead, I really have to be in the mood for it. So I had low expectations of this one because it came out some 10-15 years after Gorodn's best movies and most Lovecraft based  films suck hard.  Happily I was in for a very pleasant surprise because aside from some very dodgy CGI, this was a damn good film. First off it's a retelling of "Shadow over Innsmouth" and not "Dagon", which is a better and more fully realized story. Second the practical effects were great. And even though there's sometimes a slightly goofy vibe, it's balanced by some absolutely brutal death scenes and an pervasive atmosphere damp, slimy, genetic degeneration. Honestly I liked this one more than any other Stuart Gordon film and it's one of the best Lovecraft based films I've seen. So check it out!

I seen Dagon some time ago and I remember liking the film especially the ending. I'll need to revisit again soon.

Wolfcop
I'm a sucker for a dumb plot that makes really no sense with a ton of holes. just a goofy fun movie to throw on before I went to bed. I didn't know that they made a 2nd one and I'm going to see if I can find a stream this weekend