Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEWALTMONOPOL

I keep hearing that the follow up to happiness is good but I find it impossible to get passed that none of the original cast is in it.

I've seen Lovelace. It paints Traynor out to be the one to blame for everything. While I'm sure he was an unsavoury character the film glosses over Lovelace's own flaws and it also paints a very rosy picture of her parents which I find very hard to believe. In other words, it's bullshit.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Marko-V

Quote from: Peterson on May 15, 2016, 08:27:21 PM
"Life During Wartime," Todd Solondz, 2003 - Sequel to his exceedingly well-done black comedy, Happiness, except filmed with a completely different cast. Oddly enough, the guy playing a character previously performed by Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a tall black guy. Easily as funny as the former but a little more stylish in visual approach, but still uneasy and nauseous like Scorsese's "The King Of Comedy."

In Happiness, Hoffman making a phone call to Lara Flynn Boyle is a classic. I have seen Life During Wartime DVD many times at the shelf of my local library so I guess I have to grab it one of these days.

Marko-V

As a fan of 70's cannibal genre I was happy to see Eli Roth's Green Inferno recently (dubbed in spanish on youtube). Sure it was gory but I still expected it to be even more brutal than it was. But still, I am happy to see someone revitalizing the good-old jungle holocaust tradition which I used to love. Even the crappiest ones are much more interesting, for various reasons, than most of today's horror films (a good comparison for piece-of-shit Wrong Turn 5 which I saw yesterday).

Duality

Following on from what Peterson was saying about Scorsese, I decided to watch The Last Temptation of Christ. It's an interesting film and I like the take on Jesus as a confused and scared human, rather than an all-knowing god. It has a bit too much of a Love one another message for my liking but I still enjoyed its approach to Christ from something else other than another boring biblical adaption. There are bits that where kind of cheesy, like when Satan tries to tempt Jesus in the desert but overall I liked it.

cr

Yesterday I caught a short glimpse at the 4th or 5th episode of a series called "Jordskott" (I think). So don't really know what's going on there. Somehow looked like a Swedish version of Twin Peaks. Has anybody seen it/could recommend or comment on it?

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: Duality on May 20, 2016, 05:59:32 PM
Following on from what Peterson was saying about Scorsese, I decided to watch The Last Temptation of Christ.

Incredible soundtrack.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Sturmfieber

A Serbian Film
The Sinful Dwarf
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
American Guinea Pig
Andy Warhol's Bad

aububs

Watched Cure on Friday night, a Japanese film from 1997 about a series of unexplained killings. Very calm, well made movie. Thought it was great.

Also watched Disney's Zootopia yesterday. Wonderful cartoon about inclusiveness and acceptance amongst all species. I think you'd all love it.

Fluid Fetish

Bride of Reanimator- Director Approved 3-Disc Limited Edition - Blu-ray + DVD: Long overdue for a re-release, the original DVD looked like a bad VHS rip but added a certain charm. The packaging is INCREDIBLE, the artwork, bordering, the neon green reanimation fluid tint on everything. No need to go into detail as to the overall quality as anything that improved upon the Anchor Bay version is a step forward, both Blu-ray and DVD look just perfect, the ending in all it's touched up glory is something TRULY to behold and a totally brilliant tribute to Bride of Frankenstein (another one of my favorite movies of all time). Haven't gotten to the pretty large comic that comes with it yet but that comes next.

Almost forgot, any commentary with Jeffrey Combs is going to be entertaining and insightful no matter what.

addictor33

new winding refn flick called "the neon demon" - highly recommended!

underage girl starts model career in la and finds sucess but no appreciation from her older competitors who see themselves endangered because of her.
ultra stylish visuals and the refn-trademark-violence (pretty nice scenes considiring the fact that its still a mainstream movie). soundtrack is outstanding. droning synth melodies and cheesy "feminine" housebeats, basically pure electronics all over. fits PERFECT to the film.
"the neon demon" walks the same path "only god forgives" did. no emotions at all. cold and cool looking, hard to classify, but very powerful.

AXNAAR

Just watched HYENA (2014) - very good, violent, tense British gangster/cop film - with a shite ending.

aububs

i really liked Hyena too, and i handled the ending well.

last night i watched ANGEL DUST. absolutely fantastic japanese unexplained murders movie from 1994. hadn't seen it before but i'm just gonna go ahead and say it's one of the best films of the 90s. stunning stuff.

aububs

Quote from: addictor33 on June 10, 2016, 09:06:19 PMthe "neon demon" walks the same path "only god forgives" did.

i thought only god forgives was rubbish and i'm expecting more of the same nonsense from this new one. refn used to make good movies, now he just makes music videos.

went to this in the cinema last night. reckon most of you would love it. it's actually really racist if that helps!

oOoOoOo

I just watched Pink Flamingos by John Waters. FUCK YES!! It was disgusting. During the first 49 minutes of the film I felt so depressed and nauseated at what I was watching, then I went and ate two huge bowls of oatmeal and downed some honey and felt fat as fuck and took all my clothes off and finished the movie and felt great. I can't believe Divine actually ate dog shit, that girl was cut from a different cloth RIP. Sick film, absolutely nauseating and depressing, but to be honest I want more films like it now.

oOoOoOo

Quote from: Peterson on June 27, 2016, 06:44:36 AM
Quote from: oOoOoOo on June 27, 2016, 03:33:14 AMI can't believe Divine actually ate dog shit, that girl was cut from a different cloth

Divine was a guy.
I know, I was just calling him she, I just tend to do that when someone is presenting as a female. I know he's not transgender or something. I think it's just a general thing in gay culture, to call someone she when they present as female, whether it be crossdressers or transgender. I could be totally wrong about that and just being incorrect, and I can't say for sure, but I've been around gay chat rooms for years and that's my instinct.