Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXNAAR

Quote from: TS on January 06, 2016, 04:05:03 PM
Thank you. I've seen, and enjoyed The Thing and From Beyond, but the other ones are unfamiliar. Gonna see Street Trash tonight.

Definitely in for a treat! Watch Basket Case trilogy next - great fun! Some other good fun horror classics: Brain Damage, Re-Animator (and sequels), Evilspeak, The Deadly Spawn, Critters, Body Melt, Shrunken Heads, Braindead, Bad Taste, The Monster Squad

online prowler

bitewerksMTB

Quote from: online prowler on January 07, 2016, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: AXNAAR on January 05, 2016, 09:22:26 PM
Society

Everything by director Brian Yuzna from the '80s and '90s is mandatory!

I have "Society" on blu, released by Arrow. It's a nice set & I liked seeing the film after so many years but I didn't care for it much. It was what I remembered: kind of boring with
some interesting efx but that's about it. If it had been played straight with no humor, it may have been better (for my tastes).

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 08, 2016, 01:48:11 AM
Society

I have "Society" on blu, released by Arrow. It's a nice set & I liked seeing the film after so many years but I didn't care for it much. It was what I remembered: kind of boring with some interesting efx but that's about it. If it had been played straight with no humor, it may have been better (for my tastes).

I hear what you are saying, and to some degree I agree with you. Though, Yuzna has never been about full blood horror. I am sure you remember that during the '80s and '90s came a wave of horror films w humorist broods that established what could be regarded as an own genre within the horror field. Personally, I enjoy a lot of these films, and Yuzna is one of the better directors that honed this craft. Of course, side-stepping from my own tastes and VHS nostaliga I can find faults w his films. They were rarely 100%, but that's a factor that I calculate into my sum as well. Horror-humour films should be a bit shitty as well. Yuzna's later films and Spanish productions kind of suck.  

AXNAAR

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 08, 2016, 01:48:11 AM
Society

I have "Society" on blu, released by Arrow. It's a nice set & I liked seeing the film after so many years but I didn't care for it much. It was what I remembered: kind of boring with
some interesting efx but that's about it. If it had been played straight with no humor, it may have been better (for my tastes).

I like that it's a bit boring as is gives the climax more impact. I first saw it as a kid and thought it was a lame TV movie, it had Billy from Baywatch in but I thought maybe there'd be some boobs so I kept watching and it got weirder and weirder - fair to say my young mind was blown by the climax of the film - I've held it dear ever since.

Trivia: Brian Yuzna co-wrote 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' along with Stuart Gordon (From Beyond, Re-Animator) and Ed Naha (Dolls, Troll).

bitewerksMTB

MS .45- a woman who doesn't talk and shoots guns in hot outfits. What is there not to like?!?

AXNAAR

Sicario - Enjoyable Mexican cartel film that focusses heavily on the cops rather than the crimes of the cartels. Very easy watch but left me wanting more.  
Would've liked more violence, so I'm open to recommendations of films that focus on the brutal methods of murder that the cartels are famous for.

A mate has recommended 'Savages' also with Benicio Del Toro so will be watching that next. EDIT: Just seen that Savages is a 12 certificate so I doubt there'll be any beheadings or faces being cut off.

bitewerksMTB

THE MASK 3D- Canada's first 3D movie made in 1961. If you have the proper equipment, it plays it 3D. If not, the film is in 2D & looks very nice. The anaglyph 3D scenes are in the extras so just find some red/black glasses & have fun, the 3D works pretty damn good. THE MASK has an awesome 'industrial' soundtrack that makes the hallucination scenes that much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJigBoo4DxY

THE BLACK CAT- Lucio Fulci's documentary on why cats are so terrible.

NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR-  Satan & God meeting on a train swapping stories. This film has it all: stop-motion animation, nudity, violent gore, & 'Bull' from the tv show, "Night Court".

cr

Recent movies I watched worth being mentioned:

The Tenderness of Wolves (Uli Lommel)
From 1973, produced by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, based on the crimes of German serial killer and cannibal Fritz Haarmann.

Tightrope
Starring (and I think also directed by) Clint Eastwood. Very good.

tiny_tove

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 12, 2016, 01:54:58 AM

THE BLACK CAT- Lucio Fulci's documentary on why cats are so terrible.

despite being a Fulci-obsessive since my teen, I watched this for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it.
the way he films facial expressions, eyes is second to no one. amazing soundtrack!!!
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: AXNAAR on January 11, 2016, 01:28:15 PM
A mate has recommended 'Savages' also with Benicio Del Toro so will be watching that next. EDIT: Just seen that Savages is a 12 certificate so I doubt there'll be any beheadings or faces being cut off.

Savages is one of the most god awful movies I've ever seen. I'd recommend skipping it.

While not all gore and violence, Ridley Scott's "The Counselor" could be recommended as a pseudo-Cartel movie
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

TS

Quote from: AXNAAR on January 06, 2016, 06:07:37 PM
Quote from: TS on January 06, 2016, 04:05:03 PM
Thank you. I've seen, and enjoyed The Thing and From Beyond, but the other ones are unfamiliar. Gonna see Street Trash tonight.

Definitely in for a treat! Watch Basket Case trilogy next - great fun! Some other good fun horror classics: Brain Damage, Re-Animator (and sequels), Evilspeak, The Deadly Spawn, Critters, Body Melt, Shrunken Heads, Braindead, Bad Taste, The Monster Squad

Street Trash!
Quite shit in the best of ways. Did not expect the Warriors-ish depiction of NY homeless living. I was hoping for something more serious as I generally don't want humor in my horror, but I enjoyed it anyway. It was almost like three movies rolled up in one: Booze infused melt-down horror flick, post-apocalyptic homeless hierarchy film, and cop movie. Classy.

Society was another oddball. Its moral lesson was not very deep, but nicely executed in the end. I know I was in for some severe debauchery but I did not see that coming. Had it not been for the ending, the movie would have been absolute shit. I guess that was part of the point. On the topic of body horror and Cronenberg, I discovered to my delight that I hadn't seen The Brood. It was fucking great, as expected. I consider myself to be quite desensitized to gore, it's not something I really care about for its own sake, but the Cronenbergian gore is different, somehow.

I also watched Dogtooth, that was recommended in this thread. Good idea, thematically and visually reminding me a bit of another Greek movie I saw recently, Miss Violence. Patriarchal family structure, clean post-2000 style colours and filming, confused and oppressed youth. I don't wanna spoil it by saying any more. The best movies I've had the pleasure of watching recently, are all Ulrich Seidl movies, though. Paradise: Love, Paradise: Hope, and the best of them all, Import/Export. This movie has almost everything I like in it. Anyone with a fascination for decayed social housing, gypsies, violence, and labour should watch it.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

cr

In several recent posts there was some talk about David Cronenberg's films. I am somehow ashamed to admit that I have only seen Shivers ages ago and so I'm quite curious about the must seens, the good ones and the not so good ones. Thanks for your recommendations!

EDIT: Just noticed that  'Cosmopolis', which I watched last weekend,  was also directed by Cronenberg. It was ok, nothing special. I liked the book from Don DeLillo.