Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXNAAR

Re-watched the entire This Is England series: This is England film, '86 & '88. At the time they were on telly I wasn't that arsed, which was a huge mistake, as watching them back to back now they stand as a great body of work - some of the storyline's are fucking brutal and genuinely moving stuff. Highly recommend to anyone that hasn't seen them or ignored at the time to watch, good stuff!

KillToForget

Cronenberg's latest movie, Maps to the Stars, was really good.

cantle

Quote from: AXNAAR on August 20, 2015, 09:40:27 PM
Re-watched the entire This Is England series: This is England film, '86 & '88. At the time they were on telly I wasn't that arsed, which was a huge mistake, as watching them back to back now they stand as a great body of work - some of the storyline's are fucking brutal and genuinely moving stuff. Highly recommend to anyone that hasn't seen them or ignored at the time to watch, good stuff!

How does the '88 serieshold up to you? I thought the Shaun/Smell's half of the storylines to be pretty predicatble and pointless the first time through....

AXNAAR

Quote from: cantle on August 21, 2015, 02:55:14 AM
Quote from: AXNAAR on August 20, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

How does the '88 serieshold up to you? I thought the Shaun/Smell's half of the storylines to be pretty predicatble and pointless the first time through....
Found that bit fairly predictable also, nowhere near as gripping as the Lol/Combo/Milky/Woody story. Also majority of Banjo, Meggy, Gadget etc was just a bit of light relief between the brutality but '90 will be on soon so I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes it all.

cantle

Yeah will be tuning it for it too... hope it is as good as the best bits from '88....

TS

Quote from: online prowler on July 05, 2014, 02:29:40 AM
MS. 45

Abel Ferrara's classic revenge sleaze - and US take on the giallo genre. Highly recommended. Be sure to get the recently reisussed dvd/bluray.

This was great. Total streetcleaning, beautifully filmed.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

cr

Seen some Japanese classics in the last couple days, that everyone here knows for sure. All of them really good so far.

Irezumi (by Yasuzo Masumura)
Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (Kenji Misumi)
Female Convict 701: Scorpion (Shunya Itō)

And next for evening entertainment:
Battles Without Honor and Humanity (Kinji Fukasaku)

Maybe I'll go on with the second one from the Lone Wolf and Cub series or with Lady Snowblood.

bitewerksMTB

REQUIEM FOR A DREAM- 15 years old & it holds up pretty good. I think this was the R-rated version. I know I've seen it unrated but have no memory of what the differences are. It'd been nice if Jennifer Connolly could have shown off more than snatch hair.

THE DEAD GIRL- a teenage junkie hitchhiker disappears... The story is told by various people who have some sort of connection to her: the woman who finds the body; a woman who may be her sister; the mother & a pros who knew her, & the wife of a man who may have killed her. The film is okay, definitely has some sleaze but too much is given away about the victim in the end. It'd been better if more mystery was left about her.

RAGE- early 70s film starring George C. Scott; Scott's son dies from a military mishap & Scott goes nuts on EVERYONE. The finale is a bit of a let-down but there is an amazing scene featuring a pissed off tabby cat & a Henry .22lr survival rifle.

cr

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 04, 2015, 11:48:15 PM
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM-...It'd been nice if Jennifer Connolly could have shown off more than snatch hair.
Exactly my thoughts fifteen years ago, and still every time I watch it again, hehe.

I think Aronofsky has made some good movies (Pi, Black Swan, The Wrestler,...), but I'm not really interested in Noah. Has anyone seen it?

SiClark

Noah wasn't great. It had some interesting little bits but I don't think it worked that well. Requiem is still my favourite of his, the soundtrack is just perfect for it (not a big fan of Sky Sports using the main piece from that to introduce their sports news). The Fountain I thought was superb.

monster ripper

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on September 04, 2015, 11:48:15 PM
RAGE- early 70s film starring George C. Scott; Scott's son dies from a military mishap & Scott goes nuts on EVERYONE. The finale is a bit of a let-down but there is an amazing scene featuring a pissed off tabby cat & a Henry .22lr survival rifle.

Don't think I've ever seen that one, but if it's even 1/2 as good as Hardcore, I'll have to check it out

bitewerksMTB

For more near-nude Jennifer Connolly, check out THE HOT SPOT directed by Dennis Hopper.

I caught RAGE on Turner Classic Movies. I'd like to see HARDCORE again. I haven't seen it in a lot of years. Scott is always great when he's pissed off...

bitewerksMTB

Euro Trash Bazooka

I don't know how the US version of the "Angst" blu-ray is but although I haven't seen it, the reviews of the French version make it a let-down for me. In addition to the French dubbing (which I don't like), they recropped the shots so a bunch of the super close face shots (for instance) are cut on the chin or the forehead, which is very annoying. They also darkened the colours on the rape scene so that you can't see most of it (apparently, it's some kind of auto-censorship asked by Kargl himself.) And I've also heard that some extracts from the soundtrack have been left out, and they also added a useless prologue to the film.

They showed it at an arthouse cinema by my place last weekend. I was about to go because "Angst" is my favourite film but when I heard they were showing the new, French, blu-ray version, I opted out in order to not be disappointed. I love the original one way too much.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/