Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Euro Trash Bazooka

"Hyena" and "Missionary." Both rather disappointing.

"Tony", by the same director a "Hyena." Awesome.

"Killers", alright.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

bitewerksMTB

Last 3-4 weeks or so:

THE HOT SPOT- crime film directed by Dennis Hopper. It's pretty good but despite all the sex, there's very little nudity from Jennifer Connolly or Virginia Madsen.
DEATH VALLEY- minor slasher film from '80 with the kid from 'A Christmas Story'. It plays like a made-for-tv movie despite one scene of nudity & some very mild throat-slashings.
Still, it's kind of interesting.
ALIEN- scifi horror classic
THE HARD WORD- Aussie crime, drags a little. Seems obscure, I've never heard of it so interesting to see
FROM A WHISPER TO A SCREAM- horror anthology with Vincent Price. 4 tales about the town of Oldfield Tennessee. Each story is rather campy but also pretty morbid. Goes well with Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror & Creepshow (needs a special ed. blu-ray release!).
CHLOE- terrible drama/thriller but you get nudity from Julianne Moore & Amanda Seyfried. Interesting that this film would probably catch a lot of heat from feminists as the female characters are paranoid, neurotic, & manipulative. Moore's hard nipples are nice.
IN A GLASS CAGE- the Cult Epics blu-ray is the way to go on this film. I don't like the snow globe ending. Other than that, it's a favorite.
KILLERS- Asian film from people that had something to do with The Raid films (it shows during the fight scenes). Terrible ending; plot is about two killers, one a serial killer in Tokyo & another killer, by circumstance, in Indonesia (I think?). I was surprised to see the Nikkatsu logo at the beginning. Definitely a film to see without paying for it.

cr

From all the movies I saw (again) in the last couple weeks I liked the westerns the most:
Django by Sergio Corbucci and Clint Eastwoods' Unforgiven. Next will be The good, the bad and the ugly.

By the way, has anyone seen American Sniper?

bitewerksMTB

"American Sniper" is a jingoistic snuff film.

Along with "Unforgiven" & "TG,TB, & TU", check out "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "A Fistful of Dollars", "High Plains Drifter", & "For A Few Dollars More". Also, Corbucci's "The Great Silence".

monster ripper

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 14, 2015, 10:08:12 PM

Along with "Unforgiven" & "TG,TB, & TU", check out "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "A Fistful of Dollars", "High Plains Drifter", & "For A Few Dollars More". Also, Corbucci's "The Great Silence".

Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter are by far my favorite Eastwood films.  Have you seen the Japanese remake of Unforgiven?  I've got it, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet......

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: monster ripper on May 14, 2015, 11:52:17 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 14, 2015, 10:08:12 PM

Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter are by far my favorite Eastwood films.  Have you seen the Japanese remake of Unforgiven?  I've got it, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet......

Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter are my favorites as well. My dad showed me Unforgiven when I was ten or so, haven't ever found a Western I like better.

And holy shit there's a Japanese remake of it?!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

online prowler

Green for Danger / 1946.

UK sombre WWII murder drama w an hint of black humour and exceptional cinematography. The duality between column framing and minimal basic shots + double exposure dissolutions from one scene to the next is especially lush. Directed by Sidney Gilliat, director of photography Wilkie Cooper, edited by Thelma Connell.

Highly recommended. 

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

bitewerksMTB

Last night's viewing:

DEAD & BURIED- excellent '80s horror; "You can't kill me, you can only make me dead".
THE FINAL TERROR- sort of a backwoods slasher film but not really. Low body count & mild gore but good atmosphere, excellent locations, & some pretty good electronic sounds in the soundtrack. I remember seeing the film on vhs rental shelves but never rented it. Interesting to see after all these years & would go well with JUST BEFORE DAWN & RITUALS in a triple feature.
THE GUEST- if you can sit through this without forwarding it, you're a tougher motherfucker than I am. Crap action film that's suppose to be with faggy synth soundtrack. It's suppose to 'an homage to films from the '80s like TERMINATOR' but it fails on every level. I remember reading something that had me thinking the film sounded kind of cool but I was kicking myself for falling for whatever that was about 20 minutes into the film.

THE RITA HN

Quotehttp://www.fangoria.com/new/exclusive-posterinfo-experience-austrian-angst-in-theaters-and-on-disc/
Cult Epics will  be releasing ANGST in the U.S. this summer!

yet another classic, "if you told me that was going to happen 15 years ago I would have never believed you".

Expected review of the new MAD MAX Fury Road movie from a colleague of mine:

"I went to see Mad Max 4: The Munsters Go To Burning Man (2015) d. Trent Reznor"

THE RITA HN

QuoteHowever, it got me thinking a little, which I hadn't expected from the lowest level of titillating entertainment, but perhaps that's why Peter Sotos kissed his ass so much and wrote Pure Filth; they both like/d to over-intellectualize, over-examine, and talk at length about themselves. But, those are some of the reasons they're so great. Moreso, though, I was thinking about the realism that comes from the cartoony qualities,

It might be because I'm getting older, but I just bought MASSAGE PARLOR MURDERS (1973) on blu-ray and it really hit me how you can glean so much more from stripped down, no bullshit, no baggage genre films.   
All 'camp' bullshit aside, I think about something like the (proto) slasher / giallo films I obsess over the most, and it usually points to examples like:
MUNDO DEPRAVADOS (1967)
GORE GORE GIRLS (1972)
SLAUGHTER HOTEL (1971)
SO SWEET, SO DEAD (1972)
THE RAVAGER (1970)

cr

Quote from: anomalie on March 04, 2015, 04:38:13 AM
Quote from: online prowler on January 15, 2015, 03:28:48 PM
Good news!

Acclaimed writers and directors Jörg Buttgereit, Andreas Marschall, Michal Kosakowski are back behind the camera with a supreme feature film, controversial, mystical and disturbing. With a "fil rouge" of old images of Berlin scariest architecture, the film is built around three tales. The first episode, tells the story of a young girl who lives alone with her guinea pig in a dirty apartment in Berlin... is she alone? In the bedroom lies a man, bound and gagged... The second episode tells about a powerful "if-only" scenario in which a young deaf-mute couple is attacked by a group of hooligans. However, they are in possession of a mysterious talisman that could help them... In the last episode, a man stumbles upon a secret sex club that promises the ultimate sexual experience by using a drug made from the roots of the legendary Mandragora plant. The ecstatic experiences have horrific side effects...

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/01/german-angst-trailer-delivers-love-sex-and-death.html

TRAILER included in link above.

Ohhhhhh... YES!!!

Has anyone already seen it? Comments?

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0