Seen and not seen's, recommendations and queries on top films in general.

Started by GEWALTMONOPOL, December 29, 2009, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

I bookmarked the Southcliffe site so will watch it soon.

I watched THE CENTERFOLD GIRLS a couple of nights ago. The plot is about a killer of, uh, centerfold girls. He calls them up first to rant but everyone hangs up on him before he can get more than a few words out. It's not a particularly good film but has it's moments (splattered blood & a lot of nudity) & I like films that have virtually no likeable characters other than the victims. Even the hippies are terrible people in this film. It'd make a good double-feature with THE CANDY SNATCHERS as both star Tiffany Bolling.

martialgodmask

I need to not watch Southcliffe when I've had a drink as the three times I've attempted it now I've fallen asleep on the sofa.

Nil By Mouth

BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ

TV mini series by Fassbinder. Probably not so easy to absorb, the first 13 episodes are really slow and theatrical, like some atmosphere of Querelle de Brest. That rusty air.. Then, the last episode of almost 2 hours show up a long dream that turn in an enigmatic nightmare of death, murder and love. Strong and beautiful in a word.

online prowler

Quote from: Nil By Mouth on December 24, 2014, 12:00:35 AM
BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ

Exceptional film making. Criterion have off late been releasing some of his works. Be sure to check out that as well everybody.

Nil By Mouth

I recommended everything, imho Fassbinder together with Fellini and Bergman are the holy trinity of the european classic cinema.

Nil By Mouth

Some Christmas movies this days...

Classic slasher set during xmas eve. Very morbid and sleazy, nothing to add, it's a solid masterpiece.

Can't said that is a good work but it's an honest movie of no obligation entertainment. Lots of gore, some nudity, a typical contemporary slasher. Unfortunately I don't know the original movie Silent Night Bloody Night.

Nil By Mouth

This greek movie can be labeled absolutely as 'power electronics cinema'. Very disturbed movie about a family that is apparently of good stock but reality is more brutal and nauseating. Style is between austrain directors Haneke and Seidl so you can aspect a cold and detached set up. Really recommended work!

online prowler

This is a good one. I second your references, and would also like to add that it holds some absurd black humour elements that can be seen in the contemporary Greek cinema. Mainly thinkning of director Yorgos Lanthimos' films, especially Dogtooth. Pick up or dwnlwd Miss V. Ace.

Regarding X-mas films... Black Christmas is føkking hard cock. Classic holidays slasher. I know Mr. Scat 'O here enjoys this as well.

Watching Taxi Driver for the xxx time....  

bitewerksMTB

"TO LET": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477311/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl
(That entire set of Spanish horror films is pretty good)

Christmas night, I watched Blu-rays of John Carpenter's "THE THING" & "THE EXTERMINATOR" (this film is better on darker, vhs rentals. Feels much more violent & sleazy that way).

I got a couple of new Italian crime films released by Raro USA I'm going to watch very soon: "GANG WAR IN MILAN" & "SHOOT FIRST, DIE LATER".

Oh, & I also saw "THE PURGE 2: ANARCHY". A lot of people said it was better than the first film but I didn't think so nor did I think the first film was 'good'.

martialgodmask

Quote from: martialgodmask on December 22, 2014, 11:39:30 PM
I need to not watch Southcliffe when I've had a drink as the three times I've attempted it now I've fallen asleep on the sofa.

Have rectified this finally. Really good mini-series, there's a strange coldness to the atmosphere, brooding and quite low-key.

Not watched much during the Xmas period, just a couple of movies on TV like the Lego Movie which is still good second time round and Frozen (!) which is pretty much weak in every area.

Did see Philomena today which I actually thoroughly enjoyed, nice to see Steve Coogan in a straighter role than normal.

online prowler

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)

Directed by: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFnQ250vdAg

The original 1976 film The Town That Dreaded Sundown was based on actual murders that occurred in Texarkana, a town on the border of Texas and Arkansas. The 2014 version, produced by Ryan Murphy is equal parts sequel and remake. Here the late '70s and '80s era slasher is translated into its essence with an overall sense of restraintful terror and imminent death looming around next corner. Craftsmanship in cinematography, lightning and editing elevates certain sequences to art house level. Highly recommended.  

bitewerksMTB

THE TOWN... is one of those films I had teenage memories of being creepy  but when I saw it again last year, it wasn't anything like I remembered. I hate the comedy elements but that is no where near as bad as the pitched down voice of the killer in the remake (based on the trailer) & anything by anyone associated with "American Horror Story" is, most likely, going to be awful because "A.H.S." is awful.

I watched the blu ray for HORROR EXPRESS the other night. I've always liked that silly ape-monster thing & the white, bulging, bleeding eyes are still creepy- that's what I remember from the first time I saw the film on tv when I was a kid.

I've always watched a shitload of episodes of MYTHBUSTERS...

online prowler

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 04, 2015, 08:21:22 PM
THE TOWN... is one of those films I had teenage memories of being creepy  but when I saw it again last year, it wasn't anything like I remembered. I hate the comedy elements but that is no where near as bad as the pitched down voice of the killer in the remake (based on the trailer) & anything by anyone associated with "American Horror Story" is, most likely, going to be awful because "A.H.S." is awful.[]

HÆHÆ! I agree with you AHS is incredible bad television. Mostly I find it to be perfume hiding a bad soap opera. In regards to the others I have to disagree - except for what you mentioned w the comedic elements of the first - which really serve no purpose other than break the terror mood. I suppose back then the producer thought: hell we need someting to break this hellish scenario as not to offend the christians - or something.

Horror express I haven't seen, should check out the trailer ...

bitewerksMTB

DARK SKIES is a  by-the-numbers alien abduction film that has some decent heavy electronic sounds in the score.The best part mixes the electronics with sounds of creaking and splitting wood.

STATE OF EMERGENCY is a by-the-numbers zombie film with people holing up in a warehouse.  Would have been better if not for the cgi violence.

DON'T BLINK is about 10 people going to a mountain lodge where everyone  seems to have disappeared into thin air. Then 9 of the 10  disappear into thin air. Seriously, that's what the movie is about. I guess I blinked & missed a major plot point or something.

THE DEVIL'S DUE is one of those films with everything filmed on video like it's perfectly normal for people to carry video cameras every where they go. The sound design & soundtrack is pretty good; electronic sounds with sounds of furniture flying around all over the house. The best scene has a camera sitting on the floor at the end of a hallway & a door at the opposite ends flies off its hinges, sliding down the wooden floor at the camera. That's definitely worth sitting through the entire, stupid movie for that few seconds.

Umberto Lenzi crime double-feature: GANG WAR IN MILAN followed by ALMOST HUMAN- Gang War... has it all: prostitutes brutalized with beatings, whippings, cigarette burns; there's shootings and more beatings and even some transphobic violence & humilation. I think this may have been Lenzi's very first crime movie? I want to see VIOLENT PROTECTION again. I use to have a pre-record vhs tape & I remember a scene w/a cop holding a guy's head out the window of a bus or train resulting in his face being ripped off by the on-coming bus or train. Pretty brutal. Plot had something to do with gangs forcing shop-owners to pay for protection hence the title.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Nil By Mouth on December 31, 2014, 04:50:07 PM

This greek movie can be labeled absolutely as 'power electronics cinema'. Very disturbed movie about a family that is apparently of good stock but reality is more brutal and nauseating. Style is between austrain directors Haneke and Seidl so you can aspect a cold and detached set up. Really recommended work!
watched it, loved it and immediately got in my top 20.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0