Special Interest
May 16, 2021, 06:27:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
  Print  
Author Topic: Merzbow Top Hits  (Read 92893 times)
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #285 on: October 03, 2019, 03:08:02 AM »

Hoooooooo boy this is a tough one. I paid (with shipping and duty) more for the Pulse Demon reissue than I have any other record (fucking label sent the poster separately and I got charged twice for duty, almost $80 CAD). Do I become a completist for the bonus track? 

Flip that whack one you got and order this.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
holy ghost
Diehard user

« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »

I need that sick obi strip with the Pitchfork quote to remind myself just how heavy this thing is....
New Forces
user

newforcesnoise.blogspot.com

« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »

should we take this to mean Masami was unhappy with the previous vinyl reissue?

"It took all my strength not to slam dunk them into oblivion" - Matt Boettke
absurdexposition
Diehard user

« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2019, 03:53:22 PM »

I think the fact that the previous reissue was geared towards an entirely different audience lead Relapse to make this actually accessible to noiseheads.

Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Primitive Isolation Tactics
holy ghost
Diehard user

« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2019, 05:18:52 PM »

I think the fact that the previous reissue was geared towards an entirely different audience lead Relapse to make this actually accessible to noiseheads.

I’m going to keep the previous version as a stern reminder that mashing that BUY NOW button can often be a mistake. There’s always a repress around the corner. In the meantime I really wanted a Pulse Demon shirt so looks like I jumped on the bundle.
PTM Jim
user

« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2019, 06:23:55 AM »

Sold out already. This is completely insane.
It's not sold out. Even the rainbow splatter option is still for sale.
You might have a pop-up blocker, or some other plug-in, preventing the "sold out" boxes from flashing when you run the curser over the option.  Both are showing sold out.

Yeah, that's what it was. Pretty stupid ass feature.
Zeno Marx
Overkill user

« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2021, 08:45:59 PM »

I'm glad I don't watch him closely.  This label is insane with reissues of 80s and 90s material.  I had no clue it was this many.  Roughly, 25+ CDs and then a bunch of box sets (not sure if they have bonus tracks or not).  Nice to see a handful from the '93-'95 period.  For those into the late-90s, there are a few from then as well.

https://www.discogs.com/label/1116791-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%80%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3RECORDS

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2021, 10:09:01 PM »

I'm glad I don't watch him closely.  This label is insane with reissues of 80s and 90s material.  I had no clue it was this many.  Roughly, 25+ CDs and then a bunch of box sets (not sure if they have bonus tracks or not).  Nice to see a handful from the '93-'95 period.  For those into the late-90s, there are a few from then as well.

https://www.discogs.com/label/1116791-%E3%82%B9%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%80%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3RECORDS

I don't follow Merzbow (or the reissues, for that matter) closely at all either.  I probably should get some of these at some point, just because it is Merzbow.  I think it is sort of fun, though, when a project has so many releases because it means that everyone will explore it in a different way. 

VIVA LA PERVERSIÓN
SILVUM
Heavy user

« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2021, 12:27:21 AM »

I'm glad I don't watch him closely.  This label is insane with reissues of 80s and 90s material.  I had no clue it was this many.  Roughly, 25+ CDs and then a bunch of box sets (not sure if they have bonus tracks or not).  Nice to see a handful from the '93-'95 period.  For those into the late-90s, there are a few from then as well.

The box sets just collect together batches of the cds, same as regular discs but w an extra outer box.

No bonus tracks on boxsets. (nicely themed sets though, keeps laptop and analog separate haha)

I don't have any though, but that's what I figured out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:31:01 AM by SILVUM » Logged
moozz
user

« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2021, 02:14:29 PM »

I have tried to review (well, write at least a few lines of comments) some of these in the Playlist With Comments topic. I do not like the early '80s stuff but the material from 85-95 is great. Many of these CDs are just alternative mixes for albums or songs but there is plenty of stuff that (to my knowledge) was not released elsewhere. Possibly source material for other releases or maybe Masami just has hundreds of hours of unreleased material in his archives. If you're into mid '90s Merzbow I'd say the Metallic box is a no-brainer as it contains 6 CDs of material from 1993-1995. These do not make Pulse Demon obsolete but if you have been disappointed in the more recent Merzbow output and wish that he would go back to the mid '90s style... well, this is kinda the same thing.

acsenger
Heavy user

« Reply #295 on: January 10, 2021, 08:42:46 PM »

If anyone's interested in what Akita is up to these days, here's a short album he made in November 2020: https://superpang.bandcamp.com/album/mukomodulator. I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised because it's actually pretty good.
FreakAnimalFinland
Administrator
Overkill user

« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2021, 08:40:48 AM »

I have Batztoutai 2xLP too, but this "Batztoutai material gadgets / Loop Panic Limited" 2xCD edition is not just the CD version. It is entirely different release. First disc is de-composed, re-created version of 2xLP. Many songs vary in length, some up to +5 minutes more. I won’t get into analysing how different they are, since it’s been too long gap since listening it. I got this 2nd pressing soon after it was published, in 1994.

Even more with this! Actually, I had feeling as if ”loop panic limited” title of disc has influenced my perception what this actually is. I recall back in in mid 90’s when I got this (this is 2nd press from 1994), my feeling was that it was ”just loops”. Probably because each title says so. Perhaps true in a sense that it is not some purely free noizu, but looping is just the part of how Merzbow did it in some of the best releases. There is lots of noise on top, and besides of loops, and this disc should be filed just among the probably best Merzbow era (1993). It is great, but also different from pretty much any album.

I recall amusing article in BANANAFISH magazine, where mr Glass tells that his friends did not believe he could say what Merzbow album is playing, if someone put CD on player. He managed to know all albums, and then friends tried even playing LP at wrong speed, but he knew still what it was. This is the 90’s, when output was big, but still reasonable in some ways. For some people, it’s all ”just noise”, for a lot of people, until late 90’s you can really hear distinctively what album is playing, as they are so different. This is quite achivement in such a huge discography. Batztoutai or Loop panic, not really something you’d think they sound like... antimonument or artificial invagination.
I have managed to get couple Finnish friends to re-appreciate Merzbow after all these years. Of course there are ton of good noise out there, but best era of Merz.. seems mandatory!

Unfortunately sold out from RRR, but I would guess some of the many pressings are affordable to find.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net
SILVUM
Heavy user

« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2021, 12:51:16 AM »

Chameleon Body (1995)
Perfect track, absolutely slamming.  It is a churning harsh slush the whole time but it really kicks up near the end, basically it rocks, denser wave presence, and closes out with fried psychedelic electronics.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
  Print  

Jump to: