Merzbow Top Hits

Started by Strömkarlen, December 29, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: DSOL on May 28, 2019, 11:14:18 PM
no new episodes yet, but they posted about Masonna so its safe to assume that is probably next on the agenda

Very excited they are covering Masonna! Looks like the first release will be Sonic Devil. Wouldn't mind if they covered more of his releases but not sure if there is enough diversity in material. Saying that, Masonna is one of my favorites.

FreakAnimalFinland

Once they get to post new episodes, I will split that topic from Merzbow topic. I'm sure that podcast will be something to talk about!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

DSOL

Noisextra ep 1 is going to feature Masonna - Sonic Devil
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

FreakAnimalFinland

New topic opened.
Merztalk can continue on this topic.

For Noisextra related stuff, comment here in the future:
http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=9849.0
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

Uh-oh, that time of night that time of dubious sobriety. Promise to not delete this entry but the cold light of day may speak otherwise-

Recent events remind me of the time I read that the principle mover flatly objected to the idea of people reviewing his work. Imagine that. People will listen to the shit, and then gasp be inclined to share their impressions. Naughty naughty.

In my defense (too little and too late I'll admit), there was only that one time, and only that one disc. Still, obviously well out of bounds. So here it is, again, in a format hopefully more acceptable to the principle mover:

M****** - A***** G****  cd (A****8)
A**** seems to have this problem with noise: he must control it. You wouldn't know it from the cover art, but he's clearly the sort of guy who
likes to be on top. **************************************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************************************************
    Track one was recorded live in **** and consists ***********************************************************************
*****************************************************************************************************************
****************************************************************************************************************
    What are we left with? What else but *********************************************************************************
    The method ** employs is as familiar as it is ********. *****************************************************************
************************************************************* Most ********s in the same position would surrender their sorry
asses to Noise and just let the shit hang out, but not *****. Not when the *************'s sense of control is at stake. ***************
     Now what? ****************************************************************************************************
You gotta admire the ****'s persistence. ********************************************************************************
********************************************************** Operant conditioning has taken its toll. After half an hour getting
thrashed about the dimpled ****** with a damp ******* wielded by *********************************************************
*********************************************************************************************************
************************************************************** **************************************************
****************************************************************************************
   OK, you can't control noise - noise tends to control you - but convincingly faking it is no mean feat.

edit
All joking aside, the above quoted was funny to me in context. This was posted to the alt.noise forum twenty-some years ago (un-redacted, but no better for it if I say so myself.). All the stuff about control was based purely on impressions gleaned from the sounds (okay, Music For Bondage 2 had also recently come out.)
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Merzbow ‎– Noise Mass 2019

Material is based on a reworking of the 90s album 'Merzbow - Hole' and a continuation of ideas on albums like Merzbow - Venereology.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Lazrs3

On the blog, my new co-reviewer reviewed the new Dead Lotus tape on No-Funeral records. Hope the prime mover doesn't mind, ha ha.

https://1208fullerave.blogspot.com/2019/07/merzbow-dead-lotus.html

Earlier in the year I looked at the release with Opening Performance Orchestra and liked it.

https://1208fullerave.blogspot.com/2019/02/merzbow-opening-performance-orchestra.html

MEATPUMP

Urashima has reissued 'Metalvelodrome' on 4xCD box. It's fuckin' EPIC!!!!!!

Original is rare as hen's teeth.

Nice move Urashima.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: MEATPUMP on July 31, 2019, 08:34:39 PM
Urashima has reissued 'Metalvelodrome' on 4xCD box. It's fuckin' EPIC!!!!!!

Original is rare as hen's teeth.

Nice move Urashima.

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads up, well deserved reissue.

acsenger

Quote from: moozz on March 20, 2019, 12:04:25 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 18, 2019, 09:32:02 PM
The Duo 11CD box set is news to me...five years out.  I have mixed feelings about the Mizutani era.  The Brainwashed review has my interest piqued, but I also doubt I'll arrive at the same enthusiastic conclusion.  Any opinions?

In that case I must have sold mine about 5 years ago. I was very disappointed with that box. If I remember right it was like random improvisation. Late '80s Merzbow is mostly fantastic but this stuff was not. If it is available as download somewhere I'd suggest to try it out before buying. Maybe some folks like random improvisations, I don't.

I'm listening to the 7th CD now and I'm pleasantly surprised by this box. While there are weaker parts, overall most of it is at least interesting and a lot of it is great. I'm quite surprised by the variety of the music. There's improvisation (sometimes in a random, free music mode), then there's some nearly full-on noise, tortured scraping and droning, "deconstructed" blues rock kind of stuff and even fairly conventional drumming on disc 6.

While I won't revisit it often, I'm happy to own this box. I agree with the above reviewer though: it's a good idea to listen to parts of it before deciding to buy it.

acsenger

Also, Urashima will reissue Dadarottenvator at the end of the year. Great news as this is the rarest and most expensive of Merzbow's '90s releases.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: acsenger on August 07, 2019, 10:20:17 PM
Also, Urashima will reissue Dadarottenvator at the end of the year. Great news as this is the rarest and most expensive of Merzbow's '90s releases.
very nice.  Never cared for the wood box, though I do like wood box releases.  My box plywood was warped enough to mark the LP sleeve, but not enough to stop it from falling out every time I pulled out the box and forgot to tilt it back.  Was the warp by design?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

Relapse is reissuing Pulse Demon, so those who missed the ultra limited repress earlier this year (or last?) here's your chance.

https://store.relapse.com/item/77473
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

PTM Jim

Sold out already. This is completely insane.