Merzbow Top Hits

Started by Strömkarlen, December 29, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eloy

Tauromachine has been reissued by Relapse. Remastered double CD [and vinyl] with bonus tracks.

Tracklist:
1. Cannibalism Of Machine
2. Emission
3. Soft Water Rhinoceros
4. Minotauros
5. Heads Of Clouds
6. Wounded Cycad Dub
7. Caudex Caudex (Mix 2) [Bonus Track]
8. Untitled Nude Pulse
9. Fragment 978 [Bonus Track]
10. Head Of Clouds #2 [Bonus Track]
11. Tauro Extra 9792 [Bonus Track]

https://merzbow.bandcamp.com/album/tauromachine-remastered

Krigsverk

Come to think of it, "Promotion Man" from Merzbeat must be the most groovy thing I have heard from him... is it a "hit"? Maybe not in terms of Merzbowism, but it rocks.

Great news on Tauromachine!

Theodore

Has anyone watched any True Romance videos ? What's going on ? The 2-3 photos from their performances give an idea. More details ? - I guess Merzbow want these forgotten so no chance to let them out of the dungeons to see the light of the day with a reissue ?
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

theotherjohn

I'd love to see any of those six videos. The only performance footage that's public is on the Macrocephalous Compost II video, starting at 38:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apNmRUvjqmQ&t=2320s

Theodore

Quote from: theotherjohn on January 24, 2024, 06:40:56 PMI'd love to see any of those six videos. The only performance footage that's public is on the Macrocephalous Compost II video, starting at 38:40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apNmRUvjqmQ&t=2320s

Thanks ! I missed that one. - Yes, interesting. So interesting that i almost got confirmation that we ll never see the rest ...

Edit: Found one more photo, from Seido - In 1994

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

ariel026

Does anyone have that collaboration Merzbow did with Whitehouse? I'd really appreciate it if you could send it to me via PM. Thanks!

ariel026

Also I have mixed feelings between Venereology and Pulse Demon. Which one do you guys like the most? Personally Veneorology sounds incredibly amazing and unlike anything I've ever heard before.

BatteredStatesofEuphoria

I don't think this has been posted before (did a search and couldn't find it, so apologies if it has)....

I was just searching for some information on Merzbow's late 80s releases a few weeks back when I stumbled across this: Every Merzbow ranked from worst to first

Its been updated at least till 2023 so might be missing a few, but still....

I've always felt it pointless to assign numeric rankings for the albums of any artist, even if they have only a handful or releases, let alone a discography as gargantuan as Merzbow's. I mean, what makes number 3 better than number 4? A favorite release of mine will vary from time to time, even from day to day, depending on what mood I might be in.

All that said, this is still impressive. Its clear, at least with the upper rankings, that these writeups are the result of multiple deep listens. The sheer amount of time and effort that must have gone into this is incredible. Especially since the author even did the same thing for every disc of the Merzbox! (https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Electricwatersheep/the-merzbox-an-in-depth-review-of-every-disc/)

I certainly don't agree with all the rankings (and the author is pretty clear that they'd never expect anyone to agree), but it definitely made me reconsider my preferences and want to relisten to some stuff. The top 50 is by no means dominated by just "analog era" releases, either. I will say that, again, while I could never put something as "the best" for anyone, I do agree the choice for #1 is one of my favorite things Masami has put out, and definitely underrated. (I won't spoil it)

Something to get lost in, reading for an hour, at least.

impulse manslaughter

Wow! Need to revisit some stuff. Has been a while since last listening to his records.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: BatteredStatesofEuphoria on March 23, 2024, 09:00:14 PMI don't think this has been posted before (did a search and couldn't find it, so apologies if it has)....

I was just searching for some information on Merzbow's late 80s releases a few weeks back when I stumbled across this: Every Merzbow ranked from worst to first

I've always felt it pointless to assign numeric rankings for the albums of any artist, even if they have only a handful or releases, let alone a discography as gargantuan as Merzbow's. I mean, what makes number 3 better than number 4? A favorite release of mine will vary from time to time, even from day to day, depending on what mood I might be in.

All that said, this is still impressive. Its clear, at least with the upper rankings, that these writeups are the result of multiple deep listens. The sheer amount of time and effort that must have gone into this is incredible. Especially since the author even did the same thing for every disc of the Merzbox! (https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Electricwatersheep/the-merzbox-an-in-depth-review-of-every-disc/)

I certainly don't agree with all the rankings (and the author is pretty clear that they'd never expect anyone to agree), but it definitely made me reconsider my preferences and want to relisten to some stuff. The top 50 is by no means dominated by just "analog era" releases, either. I will say that, again, while I could never put something as "the best" for anyone, I do agree the choice for #1 is one of my favorite things Masami has put out, and definitely underrated. (I won't spoil it)

My goodness, what horrible reviews of the collection series!  That's top stuff for me!

Krigsverk

Not to mention that "Exoking" is rated as number 8. My initial thoughts when listening to it was "what a waste of plastic".
But thankfully tastes differ and there is so much good stuff to focus on in his discography.

Stipsi

Quote from: BatteredStatesofEuphoria on March 23, 2024, 09:00:14 PMI don't think this has been posted before (did a search and couldn't find it, so apologies if it has)....

Not a great chart, but at least someone tried to put all the discography of merzbow together.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

FreakAnimalFinland

I just finally got Merzbow "1930" CD. It is good, 1998 album. Listened few times, shelved there next to other Merzbow thinking it is good, playful, yet, probably not album I'd throw into CD player anytime soon again.

Quote from: Krigsverk on March 24, 2024, 08:08:07 AMNot to mention that "Exoking" is rated as number 8. My initial thoughts when listening to it was "what a waste of plastic".
But thankfully tastes differ and there is so much good stuff to focus on in his discography.

yes. I don't remember how Exoking was, but I know a lot of people who always value some of their early experiences with Merzbow the highest. No matter if it would be some of his less exciting lap-top albums, if that's what one heard for first time (or.. if you just happen to like that stuff!) it usually makes strong impact. I think many of "less good" Merz is that simply because the highlights are so strong that barely anyone is able to match him on that style. If there even is bands that "sound like Merzbow". I tend to think not many, if any.

It is too bad Masami appears to feel strongly that none of the works involving former women friends of his will be reissued. Veneorology was modified to track involving other people than him was removed. Too bad, since Mercurated and Artificial Invagination would be among the very very top of things that should get into hands of people. In my opinion at least. But unlikely reissues would happen.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Cranial Blast

Ive always enjoyed Merzbow - Crocidura Dsi Nezumi album. I believe it's from back in 1988. That one has always stuck with me for some reason, could be cause it was one the first Merzbow albums in my collection.