Merzbow Top Hits

Started by Strömkarlen, December 29, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

Do you mean the bunch of CDs on Slowdown Records? Most of them are reissues of '80s material and some of them are new recordings. I haven't heard any of them.

A relatively recent release containing music from the '90s is the "Exoking" CD. It's a fun and playful album, and very unlike Merzbow. There's no harsh feedback; instead you get heaps of loops of strings, horn instruments, disco, cartoon music etc.

moozz

I just ordered a bunch of those Slowdown releases, some old stuff, some new stuff. I'll try to put together some short reviews once the discs arrive. And yes, I am a fan of the '90s era. I do enjoy earlier and later stuff as well but those were the golden years.

Zeno Marx

A true pleasure to listen to Elden M talk music.  My favorite Merzcast yet.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Eigen Bast

Yea I appreciated his insight into japanese culture and the scene in that era. Any good footage of the merzbow butoh performances?

FreakAnimalFinland

It was good episode! It is good to hear some of these guys who had also very direct interaction with Masami. Add few details that goes beyond the album that is being listened. I would assume someone like Mason of Charnel House would be brilliant. It's not long ago I listened some of his Japanese noise compilation CD's on Charnel House. Hearing same Merzbow tracks on Merzbox last week, so recognizeable and killer Merztracks... Being editor on Ongaku Otaku for example. Damn.. not Merzbow related, but that magazine with grainy black&white photos of MSBR special editions, on era before internet.. Crucial reading.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

pureterror

Speaking of Mason Jones of Charnel House, one of the biggest early influences in my noise life, be sure to check out this Tumblr page of old fliers. Apologies if this has already been posted multiple times but I mentioned it on my Merzcast episode and a few folks asked me about it: https://noisefliers.tumblr.com/

Zeno Marx

Quote from: pureterror on April 06, 2019, 07:57:17 PM
Speaking of Mason Jones of Charnel House, one of the biggest early influences in my noise life, be sure to check out this Tumblr page of old fliers. Apologies if this has already been posted multiple times but I mentioned it on my Merzcast episode and a few folks asked me about it: https://noisefliers.tumblr.com/
Thanks for posting the link.  I took notice in your previous post, but I had no luck finding the site.  Always appreciate the links in posts.  Out of laziness or not being able to locate the damn thing.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Masami Akita - The Prosperity of Vice, The Misfortune of Virtue 1996

When Akita and when Merzbow?  I wonder what dictates that.  Anyone know?  This album strikes me as something that could have been on Sound of Pig.  Harsh in moments, but stylistically experimental and with worldly tones.  Lots of field recordings?  Typically wonderful loops.  He really is a master of a the loop, isn't he?  I've really been keying into that aspect of him lately.  A new level of appreciation for his skill for loops.  This album does run into some stumbling blocks for me though.  The 50's music sample and the horse are two samples that break my concentration and enjoyment of this.  Reading through a thread at the Steve Hoffman forums, this could be a good introduction to him for those who don't like skin-blistering noise.  Outside perspective is interesting.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

For clarity, Masami put an end to Merzcast?  And also had, or because of having, a negative reaction to GX's episode?  If so, what about the fate of the Immerzbox podcast?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

aububs

could be wrong but i don't think he's put an end to it, he's just being an idiot

holy ghost

Whatever the outcome is for the Merzcast it's truly sucked the fun out of it. However it's made noise Twitter incredibly entertaining for a change.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: holy ghost on May 04, 2019, 11:49:20 PM
Whatever the outcome is for the Merzcast it's truly sucked the fun out of it.
Yep.  Not that it matters in the end, but I hope it comes from a place of ignorance and nothing else.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

That last episode of the Merzcast they uploaded took it on a high note at least. Glad to hear they're going to continue with a (non Merzbow specific) podcast and I'm also glad to hear they addressed things head on - the twitter beef was really funny but I'm glad they clarified a few points and cleared up any misconceptions people might have had.

Who would have thought Masami Akita would turn out to be the Gene Simmons of harsh noise?

Zeno Marx

Sounds like good things will come of this.  Doing something well and coming from a positive place didn't hurt.  I'm mostly looking forward to [furthur] discussions on noise history, or even a webpage/document of what they've already revealed and will maybe map if they go a methodical route.  Really, noise and experimental history was the greater gem coming out of Merzcast anyway.  Rich rewards for everyone.  Best of luck to them.  And praise to them for not taking this all too personally.  That says a lot about them.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.