Merzbow Top Hits

Started by Strömkarlen, December 29, 2009, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

This should be fantastic.  Antimonument Tapes CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Antimonument-Tapes/release/13138576

edit:  Also, another podcast.  Reviewing Merzbox.  I haven't listened to an episode yet.  Up to disc 6 so far.  http://immerzbox.libsyn.com/
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

EXU

Quote from: absurdexposition on February 22, 2019, 11:28:07 PM
Quote from: Strangecross on February 22, 2019, 10:36:51 PM
in case people have not herd of Merzcast: www.merzcast.com
I am not affiliated with merzcast but I would like to see what people here think about it.

I've been enjoying the Merzcast quite a bit. The historical and personal anecdotes are interesting and it's nice to hear people's genuine enthusiasm about it all. After the first episode I couldn't wait to get home and check out Tauromachine, which I hadn't heard before. Will keep listening for sure.

I was surprise at how entertaining and well done it was, both guys are smart, likable and funny, have good voices and the pace/flow is, idk, professional IMHO. I listened to the three available yesterday on a row and then went to the Immerzbox which is cool and stuff but you start to compare and then, y'know... But I will follow Immerzbox too, just wish they improve the pace/flow and am anxious to hear some guest here and there to spice things up.

I am not even a podcast guy, in fact the Merzcast is the first one I listened in it's entire form.

Zeno Marx

I've listened to all three Merzcasts and a single Immerzbox.  The Merzcasts are nicely done.  Structured and methodical, with notes (smart approach), intelligence and insight into the field, and enthusiasm for the podcast medium.  One of the guys interrupts and talks over the other, but you can tell that stems from the enthusiasm and joy of the discussion and material.  I've been there plenty.  I could've been distracted, and thus wrong, but the Immerzbox lacked all of that.  It seemed like it was going to be a begrudged chore to do the podcast, which also seemed weird.  "We're going to do this, but we aren't looking forward to it" sort of thing.  They spent most of that first episode knocking CD1.  Hoping that is a starter hiccup, but with little method, talking about a disc for 45 minutes isn't going to be easy.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

EXU

Quote from: Zeno Marx on February 25, 2019, 09:02:29 PM
I've listened to all three Merzcasts and a single Immerzbox.  The Merzcasts are nicely done.  Structured and methodical, with notes (smart approach), intelligence and insight into the field, and enthusiasm for the podcast medium.  One of the guys interrupts and talks over the other, but you can tell that stems from the enthusiasm and joy of the discussion and material.  I've been there plenty.  I could've been distracted, and thus wrong, but the Immerzbox lacked all of that.  It seemed like it was going to be a begrudged chore to do the podcast, which also seemed weird.  "We're going to do this, but we aren't looking forward to it" sort of thing.  They spent most of that first episode knocking CD1.  Hoping that is a starter hiccup, but with little method, talking about a disc for 45 minutes isn't going to be easy.

Seems like they tackle one disc only each episode. It's really hard to compete with the feeling of joy that pours out of Merzcast and I must confess that I kind of wandered on the Immerzbox but I am too nice to be too hard on it I guess, I really wish it to be good.
Anyway, such a nice wave forming, with the Incaps doc and these podcasts, maybe people make more stuff in this vein...

holy ghost

I did the first episode of the Merzcast and really enjoyed it. I don't know if I've ever listened to a full podcast before, I would go back. Not planning on doing the Immerzbox one.

I'll be interested in hearing what selections they pick next. Hoping the "Rectal Anarchy" LP with Gore Beyond Nexropsy is in there.

absurdexposition

I revisited the Merzbow / Bastard Noise "Voice Pie" split last night for the first time in ages - and maybe the first time with the CD version (a download of it anyways). The CD has two additional Bastard Noise tracks and one additional, long, Merzbow track. These CD-only tracks are far superior than those that are included on the vinyl release. The majority of the BN tracks are pretty awful, but these two extra tracks might be some of the best from that era of the project. And the extra Merzbow track "Ghost Rider" (allegedly a Suicide cover) is phenomenal.

In preparation for the next Merzcast I gave a pre-emptive listen to Aqua Necromancer, which I had picked up a couple months back but hadn't heard yet. It's a weird one. Lots of stuff, like they've said on prior Merzcasts, that if done by someone else would be just awful, but somehow if Masami does it... it works? It manages to hold a curious attentiveness rather than boast tedium or annoyance - and the start of track one when that "whale sound" comes in is incredible. Curious to hear what Greh et al will have to say about this one.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

dogcw

What a shitty decision to omit "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times" from the recent reissue of Venereology. An absolute standout track from this era in general, basically Masami's take on rough basement pe with an absolutely savage vocal attack. Really atypical of his style in that period, and puts most other pe bonehead shit to shame. But then again, I guess these deluxe anniversary vinyl editions are never really about content or making the music available and are more just some pathetic display of trophy collecting. 

cr

Quote from: dogcw on March 08, 2019, 07:19:21 PM
What a shitty decision to omit "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times" from the recent reissue of Venereology. An absolute standout track from this era in general, basically Masami's take on rough basement pe with an absolutely savage vocal attack. Really atypical of his style in that period, and puts most other pe bonehead shit to shame. But then again, I guess these deluxe anniversary vinyl editions are never really about content or making the music available and are more just some pathetic display of trophy collecting. 

Yes, that's shitty. Haven't listened Venerology in ages, but I remember liking "...glorious times" a lot. It was Bara on vocals, right? From some live concert.
So it seems that I don't really need this reissue as long as the CD is working.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: cr on March 08, 2019, 07:44:07 PM
Quote from: dogcw on March 08, 2019, 07:19:21 PM

Yes, that's shitty. Haven't listened Venerology in ages, but I remember liking "...glorious times" a lot. It was Bara on vocals, right? From some live concert.
So it seems that I don't really need this reissue as long as the CD is working.

that fucking sucks. I'm one of those unfortunate people whose original CD is beat to hell and skips no matter how much I clean it. I bought the reissue blind because I figured it'd have all the same tracks split across however many records to make it all work, and it'd be great to hear em without skipping. still excited to re-listen to the album but more than a little disappointed I won't be able to have the same experience as listening to the original version.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

absurdexposition

And it wasn't left off for lack of room, the bonus/unreleased material could have been reduced. The back cover mentions "Remixed and rearranged from original DAT tapes at Munemihouse, Tokyo, October 2018." - maybe it was Masami's choice to remove that track?
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

MyrtleLake

Zeno Marx

Quote from: MyrtleLake on March 08, 2019, 11:19:21 PM
Your CD—including the original tracks:
http://merzbow.bandcamp.com/album/venereology
Right on.  Merzbow offers both the original and remaster on his bandcamp.  There's no need to go without.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

Weird omission - glad I have the CD version as well. My copy arrived yesterday, I'd be interested in comparing how they sound. I might make use of the download card after all.

Overall it looks great but I haven't had a chance to take it for a test drive yet.

Zeno Marx

I'd like to see his archive; how he organizes all the masters/demos/rehearsals/drives/paper goods/packaging/memorabilia, and ask him if it is to the point he could employ an archivist to keep it all cataloged, transferred medium to medium, and work on any restoration when necessary.  Wish I was qualified to be that huckleberry.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

I second all of the above - I wonder if he's been approached about a documentary of some kind? I would love to see something like that, but something tells me he's probably a little too private for that sort of thing.

Speaking of archives, Earthquaker Devices has been doing amazing little YouTube shorts called "show us your junk" and they do one with Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth who gives a tour of the studio and the Sonic Youth archives. I don't catch all of them but the ones I have are great and the SY one is fantastic.