MARIA ZERFALL

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 01, 2017, 04:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Was quite curious to see American project LIEBESTOD mention Maria Zerfall as one of the references. It's not the name what comes often in discussion here in Finland. Most her stuff that is in wider circulation, came out in late 90's and 2000.
Friend asked recommendation and I mentioned that I used to sell these, but of course no longer in distribution. Told to check discogs as double CD shouldn't be hard to get as it was 500 copies pressing. I was quite surprised to notice how damn expensive it is now! None available at the moment, and sold between 24-40 euros...

Not sure if she is still around to be contacted. Based on article reposted below, it seems as she wasn't so enthusiastic on doing large scale releases in first place, but perhaps some further represses & reissues would be good at this point!

"Kopfkrieg 1985-1995" 2xCD is great compilation. Perhaps better than the LP version, due having couple more songs. Songs benefit greatly from primitive recording methods of 4-track tape and tasty brutal effects. Songs based on simple structures like bass guitar noises, looping rhythms and vocals become extremely satisfying due production. Not all the 90's material include equally great sound as this compilation.
Think of SPK early non-album material. Early Laibach tapes and other such things, or take some previews here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC_jfrRV3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tmlElGgMaQ

Information is quite scarsely available, and mostly repeats the same details. More information found from these links (and cut & pasted below without graphics).

http://drugie.here.ru/achtung/achtung.shtml
http://drugie.here.ru/achtung/mzerf1.htm
Storm of Steel 
Dances in the gas camera obscura of Europe. 

The industrial music sometimes sounding like Throbbing Gristle, German texts and dadaism - Maria Zerfall, a real German legend, the mighty Mistress of the old school of noise. It was the alter-ego solo project of 34 years old Christine Weyrether from Dusseldorf.
LOKI FOUNDATION, Germany: "The tapes by her were some of the first noise stuff we have heard after the boarders had been opened. We were very impressed! It's quite unique that such hard and morbid electronics were produced from the one-woman project".
She started in 80th on the wings of punk invasion and personal non-compromising nihilism. She had played in a few bands before she finally released her own strange project. She was not interested in producing larger things like vinyl or concerts during this time. The result was in the six years of strong impulsive activity and in the 10 tape albums (1985-91), mostly of extremely limited edition and of great rarity nowadays. She just wished to make the music, nothing more:
LOKI FOUNDATION: "Long time ago we've got the idea to ask her for an LP and Silvio from the German label Membrum Debile Propaganda had the same. Also he had the important contact with her - that is why this release is a mutual product of these two labels. And we were very surprised when she had agreed to do such thing. The recordings are taken from the several tapes. The best tracks between 1985 and 1991 were selected and we made the final mastering. She was happy and we too. I think the most part of the materials to be much more intense then the material from the most of newcomer noise projects: I don't think that she would like to make the new material now. But maybe there will be some other re-releases by he MDP label or the others.
"Als ware nichts gewessen" presented the collection of 13 deadly shining relic experiments in the veil of urban-raw-electro-industrial sound and noise released in a home studio bunker of MZ. Filled with the strained urban aesthetics mechanic-industrial destruction of cult THROBBING GRISTLE early years with absolutely sounding in her works: "Kopfmord", "Knochen-brecher", "Totenstille", "Als ware nichts gewesen", "Nazi jazz". Like a ghost of Fasbinder spirit of post-war Germany Maria Zerfall have arose - mechanic Maria from Fritz Lang "Metropolis", the archaic Goddess of her personal cults, the ruthless destructive messenger of the sonic Armageddon - ashes to ashes, sound to sound, devastation to devastation: claustrophobia to claustrophobia. The industrial mantras, rough springs of low bass, perforate static ultra-noises and amplitude vibrations, monotonous droning eclipses, chaotic naked distressing echoes, sting poison groans of mysterious signal, larynx wheezing from reflections of the steel death, decadence of depressed machines. Combined with the lonely monotonous monologues in German it seems it looks like a dying whale cry, like a German military disco in the Gas Camera of Europe, like a war - no taboo, no limit, no mercy!..
Finally the mad chaotic experiences of MZ give you the head-around feeling of some magic energy. Impressive work and the real prophecy of sonic riot for the present industrial rebels!
Below we present the exclusive words of Maria Zerfall for Achtung Baby!. Special thanks for Rene (LOKI) and Silvio (MDP).

Igor Vaganov
Spring 1999

WHAT IS YOUR WORLD OUT LOOK ?
In simple words: we are only guests on the earth.And we are to stupid to use our intelligence.For my pinion its depressing to think about politics or economics in the EU or in the world.

WHAT GAVE YOU AN INSPIRATON FOR THE MUSIC?
First there was a power of punk music.Then I heard bands like TG,SPK,Swans,Laibach.This music opened my eyes ( or my ears !) :I learned to listen to the sound in the cities, all those noise creating its own melodies.Often I recorded the sound on the street.I never had idols.I tried to hear and see the surrounding with my eyes and ears.I don't judge (if something is good or not ).I watch.

SOMETHING LIKE A CHRONCLE OF MARIA ZERFALL:
1982 punkband Zerfall in Crailsheim (my hometown )
1983 beginning of Maria Zerfall solo project tape distribution about music to turn to Dusseldorf
1986-1991different projects in Vienna (Aktive Stagnation )
1987,1989 three concerts (two in Dusseldorf ,one in Nurnberg )

WHATS ABOUT UNDERGROUND SCENE?
I didn't try to become a part of a special underground scene.I am a loner.I met some people I really like ( until today ).and:in my music there is no influence from Ernst Junger,Leni Riefenstahl,etc.The writer I absolutely like is the Swiss Friedrich Durrenmatt.

WHAT IS THE IDEA ON IDEOLOGY?
Any ideology is a disease! My recording process:4-track- tape-recording.
Most of the songs I began with no idea.I tried to change a special mood or atmosphere in sound or atmosphere into sound.
The meaning of name Maria Zerfall : it is like a little philosophy.Maria means innocence and Zerfall is decay of all material things ( physical ).
When I began with Maria Zerfall music I had a lot of aggression about the situation of the world.I could not imagine to live with it.Today I can,I accepted that I cant change anything.But I cannot say where am I now.I am waiting.I am watching.

Igor Vaganov vs Maria Zerfall
Rostov-on-Don - Dusseldorf ,17.04.99.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

I owned the two releases on Membrum Debile but sold or traded them. I don't remember anything about them. I would think her releases would be reasonably priced.

I'll have to give some of those tracks another listen. At that time, I was after more aggressive sounds, which, maybe why her work didn't appeal to me.

cr

Just ordered the VOD 8LP Box and am very much looking forward to it as I only have the Maria Zerfall In Phase Pervers - Ich-Katastrophe CD, which I like a lot. As was said before, Maria Zerfall doesn't come up very often in discussions, but for my tastes this is just great 80'/90' Industrial. Very good (German) lyrics as well.

cr

In case you're interested, you should also check out her other project Aktive Stagnation

I think most is available on Youtube...and also just recently from the honourable http://bleakbliss.blogspot.com/

Didn't listen much else apart from Maria Zerfall in the last three days. This is all just good and fits my mood at the moment!

Zeno Marx

I'm new to MZ.  Listened to the 2CD a month or two ago, and then I found a bunch of complete releases on blogs.  I find it inconsistent and all over the place, so I had to adjust my expectations.  I like to grab just about every old experimental/difficult compilation on blogs so I can cue them up as a substitute for radio.  Line them up and let them play while I do other things.  I found myself enjoying MZ in a similar way.  Some of it really hits the spot, while much of it is at least interesting or worth filling the air.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

I had discussion with friend about necessity of 8xLP box of MZ stuff. If its focused it merely in use of drum machine, rusty buzzing sound and vocals narrating something in german. In nutshell, that what it is, and yes it is necessary! However, there is other things. Bass, metal junk percussion, perhaps radio noise, and more.
Each track is build out of very simple structure. It may be just feedback, noise-bass with fast delay effect and distorted vocals. It may be kind of Z'ev like polyrhythmic metal object clanging, echoing bass tones and thats that. Always raw, simple, yet this simplicity is the key that tracks stand apart. It's never layers on top of layers on top of layers, but despite recycling a lot the same formula, it simply works as she focused on recognizeable elements. Most of the stuff is purely industrial-noise. Not "music", despite more musical elements start to creep in later LP's. Most notably in the last LP of box. Rest 7 LP's, despite occasonal bass "riffs" or songs having structure, by no means they are "music" in traditional sense, unless one strictly means the earliest stages of industrial music. There are so many tracks that feels more fierce and rugged than most of harsh noise or contemporary power electronics, that even noise-fanatics probably appreciate the works of Maria Zerfall if they'll take a peek. I guess easiest way is to check out youtube and there is the 1999 anthology double CD, that is pretty much same material as two first LP's of this box.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net