Velvet Underground/Early Roxy music (Eno) Influence on Noise music & Discussion

Started by Tj, May 25, 2017, 10:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tj

How can the sounds of them bands be emulated via Modern equipment? etc No Input method'/Software etc also please discuss below of Noise Bands that I can listen to who were influenced by these Bands/Genre's (Art rock/Avant Garde)

XXX

VU were a rock band & early roxy Eno used a Putney synth. wouldn't say sounds could be emulated on a no input mixer. honestly confused by this question.

Tj

What I'm asking is how would the sound's of the band's be emulated  I'm not asking in vein of the bands sound simply stating if the drones of the VU And Eno's screeches and noises could be emulated with modern equipment such as Mixer's e.g it is simply a discussion of if it could it be a possibility

Duncan

Well it's no worse an idea than looping some contact mic'd nylon tights and shoving it through some fuzz pedals.

I doubt it's exactly what OP is thinking, but there is plenty going on in VU to transpose into more abstract works.

Everything from the fucked tones, bad mixing of vocals and the scrawl in the background to the utter fuckery with alternate tapes cutting in and out near the end is a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxgvkzFVnNQ

Jesus, VU are great.

Yeah, not sure how the no input mixer REALLY factors in but I say FUCK it...bound to end up in something really interesting if this dude is determined to make these two things meet somewhere and sets about it with a bloody mind.

Peterson

While I agree that emulating the VU sound in any way is probably more trouble than it could be worth, I'll say they could maybe be considered an influence on extreme music in the sense of doing things your own way - Lou's feedback and fuzz, the distorted organ tones, etc. Anyway, for me, they're a great go-to for when I need refreshing after tiring of my own sound during the production process. More inspiration than influence, really.

david lloyd jones

velvets-the sound was cheap instruments pushed through cheap amps in primitive times.
even by the standards of the day, it was cheap and primitive.
much of the interest in  a previous era's sound comes down to it being rougher, cheaper and more basic than now
even now people chase that old whitehouse, or whatever band sound.
buying old equipment is part of this