No input method/Mixer's discussion and recommendation's

Started by Tj, May 24, 2017, 11:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tj

Hey! Im New to this forum and seeking advice on the best (sounding) mixers for the no input method Note:Mixer recommendations in a reasonable price range please :)

Cementimental

The worst mixers are best.  Good ones are good too.

neropece

Look for crappy dj mixers from the 80's, you won't regret.
I've bought a large amount of mixers in the last years (even a giant 12 channel peavey fron the 70's)
but nothing is comparable to my old tonmix

EDIT: search on ebay, thrift store, crappy flea market etc.
When you find the right mixer make many experiments as possible to
obtain the right sound... beware the monstrous high pitched frequencies

Tj

Ah! any models or brands that you can lead me to ?

Duncan

The nature of what you're trying to do is chaotic and no particular mixer necessarily lends itself to a particular 'sound' beyond tiny, tiny minutiae that will only be relevant once you have spent some time playing, experimenting and feeling out the equipment you end up with.  Not only that, but it will eventually be bad for your mixer to run such hot signal through it over and over again, so, the cheaper the better once again.  I know it isn't the answer you're looking for but the best thing for you to do is grab ANYTHING you can as cheap as possible and simply experiment. 

That said, a mixer with more ins/outs/auxs the mixer has will provide you with a greater number of channels to play with.  The more EQ = more variation in sound so in theory a bigger mixer will give you more options. 

When I first started messing about with this stuff I just got a small Behringer.  Maybe start there?  Is there any particular direction you want to head in with no input mixing?  Balls out harsh noise? micro improv? somewhere in between?

Duncan

Could well be that a synth is what you want then?!

In any case, grab what you can, experiment, enjoy!