compression

Started by neolithic cravings, May 19, 2017, 10:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neolithic cravings

Are folks using compression on their tracks and if so what kind and how much? If your not I'd like to know why too.

monotome

Sometimes I use a compressor as limiter function to minimize weird volume spikes / clipping artifacts while recording, but not much in post-production.

tiny_tove

I tend to use compressors on vocals, but mostly during post production.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Leatherface

Quote from: monotome on May 20, 2017, 11:57:56 AM
Sometimes I use a compressor as limiter function to minimize weird volume spikes / clipping artifacts while recording, but not much in post-production.

Same here.

Feber

Took me years to get my head arpound the concept to begin with... I have always used the compressor on the Boss ME-70 multi-FX which has been one of the main pieces of gear on basically all my recordings and live sessions for the last ten years. I always just crank the volume up with the compressorm but it took me several years to even get interested in what it actually does.

Some time ago I got a cheap second hand rack compressor/gate/limiter - easy to work with and really added presence to the recordedmaterial. I have also finally stopped shunning virtual post-production of my material and slowly learning how to mix and treat the tracks, in this process I have worked with some VST compressors. I prefer hardware and making the recording the main focus of course, but for learning the basics it is great to be able to download free isntruments and "gear" to work with.

Still not so fond of limiting though.

noyearning

I tend to use compressors mostly for vocals (and percussive elements sometimes) as they have a lot of dynamics, and so the need to even them out.
Other that that, a good EQ tweaking before the recording, and a balanced mixing overall, pretty much eliminates the need for compressors.
That being said, I tend to use Ferric TDS a lot as a master effect. Pretty nice virtual effect. It says it's a Exciter/Enhancer, pretty much works as a compressor, I guess. I'm not a Pro, obviously. It lets the highs stay sharp and the lows stay deep without eating away the other freqs, so I love it.
I find Limiters actually very helpful, whenever the final mix is not as loud as I wish it would be. And btw, "final mix"= after all peaking is eliminated.

monotome

Last night, first time using a compressor as last piece of gear in the chain (after the mixer) and must say it does good things. Streamlines the sound, meaning having less overall noise but a more focused drive with more oomph.

urall

Currently looking into hardware compressors to see if this could indeed add that oomph i'm missing lately. I especially have the feeling that my overall sound is too muddy and not levelled enough. Would this be a possible solution ?
If yes, would the FMR Audio RNC1773 Really Nice Compressor be a good option ?

A-Z

hardly in a position to provide production advice since got no idea what i'm doing most of the time
but what i usually do is
- no compression during tracking, but if the dynamic range is too wide i put an analog preamp in front of the audio interface and clip it
- compressor -> limiter -> clipper on every channel during post, compressor at <6db, limiter & clipper at <2db of gain reduction
- compressor -> saturation -> eq -> limiter -> clipper on the master channel... sometimes using a 4-track recorder and/or hardware preamps for saturation
things get loud

Stipsi

Quote from: tiny_tove on May 21, 2017, 12:40:36 PM
I tend to use compressors on vocals, but mostly during post production.

Same. On vocals and massive dynamic range vocal samples
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

kiiski

I think compression is very misunderstood. I doubt anyone would ask if people use EQ...

I use it when I need to manipulate dynamics, but most often leave it to during the post processing phase. When creating sounds I often use different tools to shape dynamics (tape, distortion, overdriving equipment.)

host body

Distortion is basically compression, so yeah I use compression on most things. As far as non-distortion compression goes, I use a limiter sometimes to avoid gain spikes and I add a bit of compression to vocals in Reaper if i'm using a computer.

WhiteWarlock

Reaper desperately needs compressor limiter on every single track or goes into automute on every hard spike....
so for sake of saving CPU  have habit of using Korg MDE-X VST with Master CD setting on everything when possible...
brickwall compression/limiter otherwise have habit Waves L1+ Maximizer on Master FX very last slot...
also built brick wall into my RE501 Space Echo Emulator for driving into and keeping my output at 0db...
old trick learned from ancient ProTools 442 rig using Waves....
as far as hardware have bunch of Compressors and honestly my favorite is Aphex Easy Rider...
It is no brainer and does exactly what need as brick wall compressor/limiter very last thing on chain...
ummm thinking have 6 compressor limiters around here anymore....
my old USA made DBX 166 is workhorse used at Disneyland in it's former life...
alrighty keep in mind all of this is from years/decades of experience...
when doing live sound running PA system you always want having compressor very last thing...
such prevents people/acts/DJs blowing the fuck out of your speakers cranking their output...
learned this the hard way from RRRon using his own pre/power amp on Minitoli one time...
being his usual smug self trying to blow speakers on our system and blew the tweaters....
when he was playing/blasting ummm if recall correctly GBH Give Me Fire 7" on the 4 armed Minitoli...
thus ever since always use compressor/limiter on PA system for preventing spikes...
even if is the ever dreaded Alesis3630(have 2 of them) just for that purpose....
they have loud obnoxious noise floor & and not suggested for recording yet will do the job for live sound...
Always use LIMITER take some and figure it how to make hard wall that you can drive singles into...
this concept is completely different from "Normalizing" signals...
VST can suck ass and tend throwing artifacting when single peaks/folds...
thus why it is way better using actual hardware for such tasks....
this is how you get extremely loud tracks that will show as 0db final output...
your waveforms will look thick solid black lines with such dramatic dynamic reductions....
not suggested it you want volume dynamics because it SQUISHES EVERYTHING...
however you can make EXTREME NOISE WALLS with this method...
anyways personally didn't really understand compression until learned the hard way...
consider myself fortunate from the experiences since most people never actually learn it...
there are all sorts of tricks and times for using them and not using them...
BTW there's some VST called Relife for restoring some dynamics in "squished" waveforms...
you can also always drive into headroom on magnetic tape for db volume and does natural saturation...
maybe some of that info and true ancient tales will help you comprehend compression & limiting!

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: WhiteWarlock on November 28, 2020, 02:30:31 PM

when he was playing/blasting ummm if recall correctly GBH Give Me Fire 7" on the 4 armed Minitoli...

This brought me a smile.

Cementimental

Recently actually set up my cheapo behringer 2nd hand rackmount compressor for the purpose I bought it for like 10 years ago and never tried: French electro style OTT sidechaining on kicks :D Splitting the trigger from the sequencer into the sidechain as well as into the drum module (or usually i'm making a kick by sweeping a self oscillating filter) works nicely

if only i actually made music with kicks