Special Interest
July 20, 2019, 05:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: compression  (Read 1833 times)
neolithic cravings

« on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »

Are folks using compression on their tracks and if so what kind and how much? If your not I'd like to know why too.
monotome
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

Sometimes I use a compressor as limiter function to minimize weird volume spikes / clipping artifacts while recording, but not much in post-production.
tiny_tove
Overkill user

ELETTRONICA RADICALE EDIZIONI

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »

I tend to use compressors on vocals, but mostly during post production.

Leatherface
user

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »

Sometimes I use a compressor as limiter function to minimize weird volume spikes / clipping artifacts while recording, but not much in post-production.

Same here.
Feber

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »

Took me years to get my head arpound the concept to begin with... I have always used the compressor on the Boss ME-70 multi-FX which has been one of the main pieces of gear on basically all my recordings and live sessions for the last ten years. I always just crank the volume up with the compressorm but it took me several years to even get interested in what it actually does.

Some time ago I got a cheap second hand rack compressor/gate/limiter - easy to work with and really added presence to the recordedmaterial. I have also finally stopped shunning virtual post-production of my material and slowly learning how to mix and treat the tracks, in this process I have worked with some VST compressors. I prefer hardware and making the recording the main focus of course, but for learning the basics it is great to be able to download free isntruments and "gear" to work with.

Still not so fond of limiting though.
noyearning

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »

I tend to use compressors mostly for vocals (and percussive elements sometimes) as they have a lot of dynamics, and so the need to even them out.
Other that that, a good EQ tweaking before the recording, and a balanced mixing overall, pretty much eliminates the need for compressors.
That being said, I tend to use Ferric TDS a lot as a master effect. Pretty nice virtual effect. It says it's a Exciter/Enhancer, pretty much works as a compressor, I guess. I'm not a Pro, obviously. It lets the highs stay sharp and the lows stay deep without eating away the other freqs, so I love it.
I find Limiters actually very helpful, whenever the final mix is not as loud as I wish it would be. And btw, "final mix"= after all peaking is eliminated.

monotome
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 09:55:16 PM »

Last night, first time using a compressor as last piece of gear in the chain (after the mixer) and must say it does good things. Streamlines the sound, meaning having less overall noise but a more focused drive with more oomph.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: